What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

regseeds

I also enjoyed those videos, even if I saw things that I don't like at all ...
And again, some ghs things I like (including HS) but no, a Laotian was not used, unless we consider a Laos grown skunk a Laotian ...
A decade ago it was described as hawaiian sativa x haze x Nevil Haze (the exact order I don't remember), if you go around the web you still find that description ...
It is now hawaiian sativa x laos, and the plants are more "domesticated", like the kerala used by Shanti or the South African of DP, or the tropical sativas in kalimist ....
I still have to learn a lot .......
To be fair Willy, I checked out their site in 2005 it was advertised as Hawaiian x Laos. They've not changed that on their end.

I agree with parts of what you're suggesting hard to make NLD hybrid a 10-13 week plant. Maybe the "indica" comes in through the Hawaiian, as it's unlikely Greenhouse used a different one than everybody else. That's hard to believe.

Hawaiian x Laos.png

romanoweed

thats like speaking to Reeferman, i have some respect for him cause he relase very Landracy stuff.

But if i talk to him today, he trows names around like wild.. I asked for some Cambodian LAndracy stuff, first he said "here, this is pure cambodian" and i may sell you a few feminized, later he said the same plant beeing Camabodian x Whitewidow, and yet anoterh time he said its backcrossed with something..

Some of those breeders i think work on so many other projects and simply cant remeber..

I also told Reeferman about an old Strain that i would love to see again, he dint remeber his Strain at all.. Till i showed him a seedf-___der Description of it. :)

For me its easy, if i like the look of a strain, and it calls me, and i hear a few good reports, then i try it.. And thats the case with Hawaiian snow. not enough for me theses days, but very nice strain on the old pics.

Last edited:

romanoweed

im growing sexy Cambodian Haze this year, 11 Weeks flowering.. You need to try. has still a Cambodian vibe, but is just selected down for ages.

I find such things interesting, but then it must be done with 90s Cambodian, like the Cambodian Haze..
CambodianHaze gave me some aphrodisisac qualities, funny.
OOh, i love weed sometimes..
And i am open, if somebody manages to select down a Sativa Lineage with a breeze of Afghani down to 11 Weeks, that interesting to me. for outdoor

Wuachuma

It's one of the main pillars of cannabis breeding. Look at the success Soma had with the Hawaiian Indica Male. Sam is still using the line, Top Dawg, so many others who I respect, Speaks volumes to me. Lots of Intrigue

We've had the haze story beaten like a piñata for 20 years, but not a single sentence on the Hawaiian, strange.

Would love to hear if @Sam_Skunkman acquired it from Roger during the golden years. Why he's still using it, has it been worked forward, anything.

What he believes true origins of the Hawaiian NLD side is. Anything relating to the line would be great.
I got seeds from a dying BOEL chemist around 2015
The only line I worked on was the Hawaiian - all the other lines were lost to a fire.
I learned that in California, BOEL was using Colombian as the backbone of their breeding. After the LSD busts in California and Colorado, BOEL moved to Hawaii. The Colombian lines didn't perform well in Hawaii so they switched to Mexican x Afghan as the backbone of their breeding on the islands. I've got the seeds from their first years on the islands. Ive been told - and verified - that it is a Swazi/Thai x Jamaican x Mexi/Affy.
When I 'F2ed' the line, it diverged quickly into being sativa or indica. The 3 parents I used in the first gen were a very old Mexi, a garlic smelling hybrid, and a unique sativa.
The Swazi pheno in F2 ended up being a creeper pheno that crawls horizontally along the ground instead of growing vertically.

Here's a couple F3's
hawaiif2male.jpg
hawaif2male.jpg
himallle.jpg
Hiindy.jpg
HI7a.jpg
HI7.jpg

B

Benny106

I remember a bro ran the snow from arjan and his ultra hazes, they certainly were narrow leaf and had not very much bld influences visible, all string of pearls flowering for 18-20weeks. This was 2007, hope this helps. Big up Franco for always being a true ganja man and sending us all them seeds, one or two of each back in the day!

herbgreen

Veteran
gotta say ,, a hawaiin sativa , x a pure landrace ,
coming in at 11 weeks ,,
no way in the world , if thats a correct flowering time
that hawaiin has a lot of indica in it for a sativa ,
or they have not used a landrace in the cross ...
I think that Hawaiian Snow can go longer more like 14-16 weeks

Yeah, I bet some of the flower times are minimized in descriptions

And really its from the first show of flowers that they count from Not the change of the timer

Yes, he does have that Laos strain and Nevil haze and SSH the sativa versions

He does have very great sativa genetics

maybe in the wrong hand? But he is doing how hes doing it I dont know what he will do with all that

And greenhouse was all regular seeds @one time He has all the lines I bet in fridge somewhere

And he has that nice Lao strain

There was also a Thai x Laos called 'greenhouse thai '

Now it seems we will be getting better access to Thai genetics

It just might make all these seed company and personalities irrelevant

God bless Arjan, I hope he does something with all that stuff

The Arjan hazes are great BTW

Its Nevils haze and Laos and whatever but its good Well worth growing...And needs a long cure

Thats almost an indicator to me when you need a cure for it to be much of anything...then wow it just keeps getting better

That tells me I have a real sativa

Its a sativa company...just wish Arjan would figure out keeping secrets and all this hype manipulative advertising isnt necessary or good

Just put it out there straight

The prices of his seeds are not high for what it is....But yeah Arjan

Last edited:

herbgreen

Veteran
I got seeds from a dying BOEL chemist around 2015
The only line I worked on was the Hawaiian - all the other lines were lost to a fire.
I learned that in California, BOEL was using Colombian as the backbone of their breeding. After the LSD busts in California and Colorado, BOEL moved to Hawaii. The Colombian lines didn't perform well in Hawaii so they switched to Mexican x Afghan as the backbone of their breeding on the islands. I've got the seeds from their first years on the islands. Ive been told - and verified - that it is a Swazi/Thai x Jamaican x Mexi/Affy.
When I 'F2ed' the line, it diverged quickly into being sativa or indica. The 3 parents I used in the first gen were a very old Mexi, a garlic smelling hybrid, and a unique sativa.

Thats some nice insights into Hawaiian weeds:rasta:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think that Hawaiian Snow can go longer more like 14-16 weeks

Yeah, I bet some of the flower times are minimized in descriptions

And really its from the first show of flowers that they count from Not the change of the timer

Yes, he does have that Laos strain and Nevil haze and SSH the sativa versions

He does have very great sativa genetics

maybe in the wrong hand? But he is doing how hes doing it I dont know what he will do with all that

And greenhouse was all regular seeds @one time He has all the lines I bet in fridge somewhere

And he has that nice Lao strain

There was also a Thai x Laos called 'greenhouse thai '

Now it seems we will be getting better access to Thai genetics

It just might make all these seed company and personalities irrelevant

God bless Arjan, I hope he does something with all that stuff

The Arjan hazes are great BTW

Its Nevils haze and Laos and whatever but its good Well worth growing...And needs a long cure

Thats almost an indicator to me when you need a cure for it to be much of anything...then wow it just keeps getting better

That tells me I have a real sativa

Its a sativa company...just wish Arjan would figure out keeping secrets and all this hype manipulative advertising isnt necessary or good

Just put it out there straight

The prices of his seeds are not high for what it is....But yeah Arjan
thanks for taking the time to write that explanation herb ,
i appreciate it ,
i dunno if im the only one ,, likely not ,
but i find arjan to be really annoying,
the way he talks is like nails on a chalkboard to me ,
real used car salesman sort of talk and quite annoying ,
franco has a better way about him,
but has to be a sycophant around arjan it seems to appease him ..

your right, the way they talk things up and exaggerate will and im sure does turn off some serious growers and rather than encourage them to grow their stuff , it actually does the opposite ...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I have no sympathy for Arijan (but also for many other seedmakers, they give me the impression that they are only interested in the biz), and it is this way of doing that leads me to think that they are a bit obscure about genetics ...
But beyond all of this, some ghs things deserve to be cultivated,and (as Donald will be well aware LOL) I've always argued that their version of Nev. Haze is definitely superior to that of MNS....

Just to say i am not a hater...
:)

SativaScience

I grew the Hawaiian Snow in about 05-07 and the flower times I got were in the 15-17 week range. Very unique IMHO. Actually bought a couple packs recently but haven't popped them yet, just reaquiring things that I had liked over the years. Of course I could only find fems of it so will have to outcross when I do grow them. 🤔

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Circa 2007 & I can’t tell you anything about its origins :dunno:all I know it came to me as a clone and they called it “Hawaiian snow” …I grew it out .. don’t recall it being very NLD , it had unique flavor and smell compared to the other strains that I was growing at the time..was very pleasing…I can’t prove this is Hawaiian snow but the people that I got it from knew their strains. For what it’s worth …just a bud shot
98610774-C233-48F8-84EE-D9BD545892BB.jpeg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have no sympathy for Arijan (but also for many other seedmakers, they give me the impression that they are only interested in the biz), and it is this way of doing that leads me to think that they are a bit obscure about genetics ...
But beyond all of this, some ghs things deserve to be cultivated,and (as Donald will be well aware LOL) I've always argued that their version of Nev. Haze is definitely superior to that of MNS....

Just to say i am not a hater...
:)
got me wanting to try that nh from greenhouse now willy ,
are you sure your not getting any commission there ?? haha ...

romanoweed

so, thats the personality of herbgreen and arjan acording to you.

Many peoples forgot to just speak about the Strain /Strains.

Again, the Peoples who grew it (slightly older reports) liked it .. I have heard people who grow pure thai advising me this strain cause they thought i may need this Tip.. But i ever thought its a pretty ok strain anyway,

I just cant stand if a Strain thats actually pretty ok is talked down, shaded in clouds of pschological verdicts about vendors.. Thats crazy..
The strain was good,

I think someone really found a couple Strains of GreenhouseSeeds very bad. I dont know what was the issue, but alltogether bad..
That may be the case for their Hybrids , but their Sativas each had not too bad of a reputation, the Arjan Hazes, the Nevilles Haze is good to, and the HawaiianSnow..

Last edited:

Piff_cat

update on the obviously not cannabis seeds..... yea they were weed seeds passed thru the cow but still viable... so weed, but not cannabis. plants lookin nice after transplant. didnt consider the outside seed theory

Attachments

• virginmary.jpg
    virginmary.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 75
  • media.textnow.com.jpg
    media.textnow.com.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 66