What's new

Question about pots?

G

Does it matter if a pot is tall and slender or short and fat as long as the volume is the same?

Is a tall skinny 5 gallon pot the same as a short fat 5 gallon pot?

I want to house mother plants and it would be more pratical for me to use tall skinny ones but wasn't sure of the performance

Thanks in advance

Tex

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
I think it works with all plants and root systems, The longer the pot the better, I beleive. Roots like to stretch out. I have heard it was better to go tall and long. I use 4" pots from the local nursery. I drill more holes in them other wise the roots stay in the pot and do the swirl thing. Even if the roots don't come out of the pot, they are not in there long enough for it to affect them.

G

Thanks HOG,

What about your mother plants? how do you warehouse them?

Thanks in advance

Tex

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
i used to keep them in soil for a long time. Then I grew a couple up in an ebb & flow system I made. Like soil, I kept moving them up to bigger pots. Eventually I ended up with a 5 gal bucket with holes all drilled in it. My E&F was a tall heavy duty tupperware like container that housed two large mothers. This was good for about a year or so, then they got so dam big they were hogging all the light. All my mothers now are all in clay pebbles and in some kinda E&F system. When I feel she is getting out of control I will take a bunch of clones and let her recoop for a week then bud her. As long as you keep the original strain alive it makes it easier for me to control over population of certain mothers.

Hope this helps

G

Finally someone that keeps their mothers in a soiless setup. I figured if I asked enough times I would find somebody to justify what I really wanted to do. Thanks HOG

I am going to do a krusty bucket kind of setup with 4-5 mothers and rotate them just like you talk about. Plus it will give me good practice for an eventual tree grow.

By the way, your Mazar grow is looking awesome

Tex

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
the thing that got me going to soiless mothers was bugs and disease. The longer I had them around, the more susceptible they were to bigs and such. growth goes so fast in hydro, I can push up new mothers in a few weeks. I did the same thing, by the time a year went by, they were trees!! Like I said before, growing that long , they took up too much room!!

Later