What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about bud size vs plant size

Biosystem

Hey, guys, so I am looking for information about how the size of a plant when it goes into flower impacts the size of the buds it produces.

Obviously harvest weight will be higher if the plant is larger and can make more flowers, but would the bud sizes on a smaller plant be proportional to the size of the plant? As an example, I currently have several different plants in flower. One of the specimens is represented with multiple cloned plants. These were all very small when put into flower compared to be other plants currently running in this cycle. They have flowered quickly and are very frosty. Both things are great signs for what I was looking for. But they have made very, very little bud. I am wondering if I let clones of that plant get larger if they would make more bud IN RATIO to their leaf/stem mass or if the ratio would remain the same and I would end up with larger plant that still has a poor bud to leaf ratio?

I hope this is clearly put. If anyone has any info about this sort of thing - even good anecdotal experience, let me know. Thanks!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The longer the plant vegges the more prominent the buds will be in flowering. I have taken two plants of the same strain and the one with more veg time always out-budded the one with a short time in veg.

revegeta666

Hey, guys, so I am looking for information about how the size of a plant when it goes into flower impacts the size of the buds it produces.

Obviously harvest weight will be higher if the plant is larger and can make more flowers, but would the bud sizes on a smaller plant be proportional to the size of the plant? As an example, I currently have several different plants in flower. One of the specimens is represented with multiple cloned plants. These were all very small when put into flower compared to be other plants currently running in this cycle. They have flowered quickly and are very frosty. Both things are great signs for what I was looking for. But they have made very, very little bud. I am wondering if I let clones of that plant get larger if they would make more bud IN RATIO to their leaf/stem mass or if the ratio would remain the same and I would end up with larger plant that still has a poor bud to leaf ratio?

I hope this is clearly put. If anyone has any info about this sort of thing - even good anecdotal experience, let me know. Thanks!
Bud size is proportional to the size of the rootmass, not the size of the plant. If you have 2 clones of the same size and same veg time, and just as they start to flower, transplant one into a 5 L pot, and the other in a 10 L pot, the yield difference between them will be very significant.

revegeta666

Light power and spectrum quality helps bud production, but plant size (and maturity) also matters.
If you have ever seen the rootball of a plant grown in hydro
giant-dwc-roots-in-reservoir.jpg

The ability for the roots to grow unrestricted by space, is the reason hydro yields are so huge in comparison to soil or Coco.

This is completely independent of veg time, plant size, and age of the plants, as long as they are sexually mature.

If you have a huge plant grown in soil in a small pot, vegged for 6 months, its yield will be ridiculous compared to a hydro plant vegged for 2 months.

The size of the rootmass is what determines the size of the buds. Or as americans say - "More roots = more fruits".

Last edited:

Biosystem

I appreciate the input, y'all. I was debating on running this clone again next cycle, but I suppose based on your comments that it's worth it to see how well it will perform with some more veg time under its belt. It has such good qualities so far, but the production amount has been abysmal. It seems the lack of veg time is not allowing it to put its best foot forward. Maybe it'll be the best plant after all. We'll just have to see.

As to the hydroponics, I would LOVE to do that. I finally got the itch to research it, and it's way less complicated and more interesting that I thought it would be. Unfortunately I can't afford making the switch yet, but I've decided that'll be my long-term method of growing once I can pull the trigger on supplies. For now, my clones get vegged in 11L pots until they go into a baby pool full of soi for floweringl. The clones in question were smaller than the other plants currently flowering with them unfortunately but that was due to my action rather than their speed of growth.

Sweaty

I appreciate the input, y'all. I was debating on running this clone again next cycle, but I suppose based on your comments that it's worth it to see how well it will perform with some more veg time under its belt. It has such good qualities so far, but the production amount has been abysmal. It seems the lack of veg time is not allowing it to put its best foot forward. Maybe it'll be the best plant after all. We'll just have to see.

As to the hydroponics, I would LOVE to do that. I finally got the itch to research it, and it's way less complicated and more interesting that I thought it would be. Unfortunately I can't afford making the switch yet, but I've decided that'll be my long-term method of growing once I can pull the trigger on supplies. For now, my clones get vegged in 11L pots until they go into a baby pool full of soi for floweringl. The clones in question were smaller than the other plants currently flowering with them unfortunately but that was due to my action rather than their speed of growth.

As with most things canna, there are generic “rule of thumb”s that apply to most/all varieties.
But your best results will be from running the same strain several times to learn it’s preferences.

I’ve seen first hand the more roots = more fruits is totally true. But I’ve also had strains that would yield much more when root-bound (maybe it preferred a shorter wet-dry cycle?)

Biosystem

It's possible. I am looking forward to seeing how she does when she has better size on her since the growth has already been impressive given how little she was when put into flower.