What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PVC manifold size for 1/2" grommets?

Anyone know what the minimum size PVC pipe you can get away with if making a PVC manifold with 1/2" top hat grommets?

I need to make a 10 site system and figured that's probably the tidiest way to go about it. Usual loop manifold. Be a lot nicer and less leaky than tees and poly tube?
will be feeding hydro halos hence wanting to go 1/2"

Does the bigger pipe you go cause pressure drop in the system if using a one way valve, so it's always full of water ready to go? Have a 790gph pump wanting to supply 10 hydo halos 18" ish high..

Cheers
oh and I'm from New Zealand, it's fun playing gallons and inches 😂

Legalcdn

Google coco for cannabis. He has pvc designs, hydro halos. DIY automatic watering system.

It's a good site.

Cheers from the other side of earth.

I'm trying to stay away from those kinds setups, as they look a mess and individual ball valves lead to tuning problems, as it have run in to in the past. As soon as you shut off one a little it increases flow to the rest, so with a 10 site grow it'll be near impossible to get even flow

Thinking along the lines of loop manifold with equal length tubing running to each halo, should give me even pressure if my pump is up to it. Would rather stay away from tees and shit too as each connection is a possible leak point...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
One halo on a weak pump works for a simple home grow. Balancing up 10 of them is a game for someone else to play. There is no route to nirvana here.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a capable pump (gallons isn't the measure of a pump capability) and some compensated emitters.

I suggest the 3 phase pump thread is worth a read. I started it, if that helps with your search. You can aim any questions you have at us here though, to save taking that thread too far off course

I've had 4 running on a lesser pump with equal distribution. I like how they flow. That was just tees and the rubber hose I use for the bucket drains. Suspect it won't be ideal for the 10 pot system.. perhaps just gonna be trial and error
Long time ago I made a small pvc manifold with 1/4" grommets and open ended lines and that worked well with equal length lines so thought grommets could be the go here. Surely there's a "simplest irrigation manifold" thread or some shit like that?

If I make one how I mentioned in the first post, with water in the lines 24/7, it will only be the pump to blame if I don't get a decent flow correct? In which case there's always a bigger pump..

Just not sure what the smallest PVC I can work with for half inch grommets is
I feel like the compensated drippers won't have the even distribution I'm used to with the halos...

Yep but I need to use 1/2" grommets so don't know what diameter pipe I'd need at minimum..

Drop That Sound

https://www.amazon.com/MEWTOGO-Fitti...1&sr=8-16&th=1

61qZ+edHpgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	61qZ+edHpgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.6 KB ID:	18118364

https://www.amazon.com/FULAIERGD-St...ctor-Irrigation/dp/B08V8PXBQ2?ref_=ast_sto_dp

81gqqeCeeHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Prequil.png

That's basic bits, though the pumps outdated now the 3 phase one's are available.
Lots of bits you can reconfigure over and over, for the next 50 years. You could substitute the arrows for reds (you should read that pump thread)
Just pushes together, pulls apart. No gluing together bits to chuck away.
The main line should be looped so all T's are an equal distance from the pump (when both ways around the loop are added together)
Bit hard to block a single 5mm spigot, but two can be joined with a couple of inch of hose between them, to make it 6 outlets not 8.
5 such manifolds to put 4 arrows in each pot. Working pump like shown. 130ml per minute for each plant. A minute being a typical timer interval. It's a quick job with some scissors and hose.

Getting a few halo's to balance isn't impossible. It's amateur hour though. Somebodies brain child, that should of been killed at birth. No practical commercial application.

What's wrong with the halos? I quite like them lol. Just wanna get away from a million 1/4" lines everywhere as I've been there before. I'm in NZ so sourcing things can be a little hard sometimes. Mate of mine just runs 1/2" open ended lines one to each plant and does pretty well so they do seem a little unnecessary. But I do like the way they disperse over the entire medium...

Maybe back to the drawing board

I used bubbler manifold with pressure compensating emitters and hydro halos. used 1/4 tubbing which is 3/16 id to 1/4 barb and 1/4 to 1/2 barb.

Latest posts

Latest posts