What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Haze x Malawi

Emeraldo

Hi Emeraldo :) thanks for choosing Purple Haze x Malawi and ACE genetics, much appreciated!
Those seedlings need a transplant! All the best for this outdoor season.
Thanks @dubi for your words of encouragement! I can report that one of my Malawis and two of my Super Malawi Hazes are female, and also that one of each of those is male.

As for my Purple Haze x Malawi, probably due to some mishaps and misconceptions on my part, plus throwing in a little bad timing, I still am not quite sure whether I have a female or not. This late-flowering strain PHxM (a pure sativa) is also later to go into pre-flower and to show sex than some haze hybrids containing a bit of indica genetics. About a week ago I was sure my PHxM was male, and now it seems, well, am not quite sure.

Here are photos from today and yesterday, perhaps you or others here on icmag could tell me what you think it is. In both photos below (actually three, two are the same), are those little knobs down low in the photos definitely male or could they be the beginnings of a calyx? I ask because in the first (two) photos there actually seems to be a pistil pushing out, very excited to see that. But then at the bottom of the photos there are those two little knobs, so what are they? Could this be a hermaphrodite?
PHxM15.08.22.jpg

PHxM15.08.22.jpg
PHxM-15.08.22.jpg

Last edited:

Podenco

The plant in the top pics has female structures, I see an urn that has 2 long white hairs coming from it. I do not see any serious male balls.

P

Emeraldo

@Podenco thank you for your thoughts. Yes, I saw the white hairs that look like your classic textbook pistils. At the very bottom of all three photos, I refer to the little knobs. In the first photo, these knobs each have a little dot on them, so it didn't seem like "balls" (pollen pods), but I guess I'll find out in a day or two.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
That's some strange red eye balls for sure! 😂 Never seen anything like that. :unsure:

In the last picture down right looks like a ball for me but can't be sure until it's bigger or get better pics.

In around 2 days it should be better visible...

Podenco

@ Emeraldo. I saw the structure with "eyeballs" but that just looks weird, can't make anything out of it yet. Like Mitsuharu says, the thing in the 3rd pic looks like a ball but it is tiny.

Kiefcake

Been smoking on PHM every week or two since about a month after I chopped it, which was in May. It hadn't really been all that good until about a week ago, but after about 3 months of dry and cure it's really nice.

I rolled one joint yesterday (juicy Jay King size I've had for about 10 years that I've been smoking recently to use them up) and that's the only one I rolled yesterday and smoked on it 4 times, plus a few hits of the roach this morning. I usually roll at least 2, even on days I work.

The effects have been strong in the head, and long lasting, at least 4 hours. Can be quite relaxing

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for your feedback Kiefcake ;) Glad you are enjoying with your Purple Haze x Malawi harvest.
I also like to cure Malawi hybrids for about 3 months to get the best effects from them. Curious to see how your PH x M mother is doing now in this run in late flowering.
Hi @Emeraldo top growth looks deep green and healthy, the plant is probably root bound, you may consider to transplant to bigger pot with fresh soil once she has started defining budsites (and if you have the space), she won't get much taller after that, but the flowering will be much more bountiful and healthy, producing a better finished product.

Emeraldo

Hi Dubi

Thank you. Glad to see you here again!

My Purple Haze x Malawi is in a 7.5 gallon tub with very low N. She did receive one feeding in mid-August of about 5 tsp of a 3-9-4 NPK, but I am hesitant to give her more because I am concerned she might not tolerate more food. I also give her magnesium and seaweed every two weeks. What do you think? What food does PHxM take a liking to during flower? Should I just let her ripen at her own pace, or does PHxM typically need a feeding during flowering?

As for the leaves showing prior stress, the first photo shows the leaves that were damaged by K def and heat stress, which happened in July. My PHxM is the only plant that suffered like that (Malawi and Super Malawi Haze did not have that issue and are in the same size tub). Maybe she is root bound, but there isn't much I can do at this point, given the available space.

Thanks again

Kiefcake

Thanks for your feedback Kiefcake ;) Glad you are enjoying with your Purple Haze x Malawi harvest.
I also like to cure Malawi hybrids for about 3 months to get the best effects from them. Curious to see how your PH x M mother is doing now in this run in late flowering.
Hi @Emeraldo top growth looks deep green and healthy, the plant is probably root bound, you may consider to transplant to bigger pot with fresh soil once she has started defining budsites (and if you have the space), she won't get much taller after that, but the flowering will be much more bountiful and healthy, producing a better finished product.
I'll have to keep that in mind on the Malawi i chopped down. Would you say the same about Panama Haze?. I made a huge lighting mistake, and it had started revegging, so I had to take it down along with every other flowering plant to save what I could before more of it got messed up. I didn't get any pictures of it when chopping it.

Emeraldo

Hey @dubi, I must be losing it. I thought the plant was female, but this blowup of the last photo posted above recently looks like I was wrong. Is this male? Is there any way this can be female? I am not now where the plant is growing and only noticed this after traveling away and reviewing the photo. I guess I should have a few days left still before they open so I can get back there to prevent pollination of the 5 females that are right there next to it in an enclosed area. Thanks for any opinions/advice anyone here may have! Emeraldo
PHxM 19.09.22.jpg

Last edited:

Emeraldo

@Onboard thanks! That's what I was thinking too. Good to know I've got some time. Bummer though, I was hoping for a female PHxM. Maybe next year. Maybe I'll use the pollen to get a cross with an earlier flowering haze in this grow. Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts