What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple appearing on stems of young seedling

Thighland

This seedling sprouted on 4 Oct. I'm happy with it's growth, but now there's purple appearing on the stems. Last time this happened to such a large plant it became riddled with issues and turn physcedelic colors.

Can anyone suggest a cause and remedy?
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Thighland

she looks ok thigh ,
i think its just what some seedlings do in this case ,
i cant speak as to what happened with your other plant ,
but so far that seedling looks fine .....

is that rice husk on the soil ??
Thanks, I'm just being careful. Yes, it's rice husks. They are great for drainage, but this deteriorats over time and they may rob nitrogen as they decompose, but the give good results in pots.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yea i used to get chicken manure with rice husks in the mix , they were great , nice aeration and they seemed to attract worms ,
gotta use what you can where you are i think , seems you doing a good job of being resourceful man ...

stiff

Veteran
What light do you use? I seem to get red stems since I switched over to LED. Besides turning red,they never seemed to do any harm.

Thighland

Thanks for all the help, I think I am worrying about nothing. I am using a Mars 3000, I had a lot of trouble when first using it, light burns, stretching etc., but now it's great.

Wally, I always try to be resourceful. I think it's key to surviving in developing countries or anywhere for that matter. Humanity will make the required U turn when we see waste products as resources. Rice husks are a good example, now they are burnt to power rice mills, with the by product being bio char. Once a waste product, they now have to bought by the bag.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You want to keep a steady EC and not let it fluctuate. A plant needs a consistent supply of nutrients and no disruptions with pH. If you can keep it steady your plant will adapt to the growth. I little discoloration on the petiole is natural and shouldn't be a problem. 😎

St. Phatty

Can someone explain why it's Purple ?

In minerals it's often related to oxidation states.

If someone asked me to explain the Oxidation States of Cannabis ...
I would just smoke another bowl.

jackspratt61

What light do you use? I seem to get red stems since I switched over to LED. Besides turning red,they never seemed to do any harm.
I got the red stems and petioles too. Additional B and Mo has made a huge difference. First I chased P and K..wasn't that. Then Mg..nope. Moving K/Ca helped.

Latest posts

Latest posts