What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pumpkins are just flat out Rude plants..

Maple_Flail

So this year I decide to do some pumpkins because the Grandkid is getting to the age where they will enjoy pumpkins carving...

thankfully the landlord didn't want the pumpkin IN the ground, (I agreed with him) so its in this Massive 3x4 tote....

I've had to move the fucker three times... First it was bullying the Tomatoes, trying to climb the plant nearly breaking a few fruiting branches with the extra foliage weight...

this morning I do out and its doing that same damn thing to the bean plants three feet from its planter...

these things really need to come with bully warnings LOL :ROFLMAO:

el mani

Veteran
Pumpkins, cucumbers, some climbing beans, cucamelons... They are very invasive plants in addition to a fast growth.
It is a pity that you do not have space for them, but if you have them in a bag, keep in mind that the arms will take root in the ground if they have a chance.
If you put a work mesh around the bag you can have it more controlled.
Salu2

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I've trained pie pumpkin up slanted trellises with pretty good results... but they're small compared to jack-o'-lantern types.

The nice part about the method is the fruit hangs down so it's uniform and never touches the ground.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Watermelons and gourds are also viney plants with big leaves. Plant cantelopes, watermelons and gourds in the same patch, and let them fight it out.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
while we are on pumpkins, has anyone else seen the huge one some old boy grew, hollowed out, and paddled nearly 40 miles down a river in? a new record for punkin paddling, i suppose. seems an odd thing to keep records on... one that big could be used as a "duck blind", lol.

moose eater

So this year I decide to do some pumpkins because the Grandkid is getting to the age where they will enjoy pumpkins carving...

thankfully the landlord didn't want the pumpkin IN the ground, (I agreed with him) so its in this Massive 3x4 tote....

I've had to move the fucker three times... First it was bullying the Tomatoes, trying to climb the plant nearly breaking a few fruiting branches with the extra foliage weight...

this morning I do out and its doing that same damn thing to the bean plants three feet from its planter...

these things really need to come with bully warnings LOL :ROFLMAO:
I grew Table King Danish/Acorn squash one year, in raised beds, and they spread out to amazing lengths, tried to take over nearly every raised bed in the vicinity, but they produced a WHOLE lot of really nice (both sizable and plentiful) Danish/Acorn squash.

So I forgave them their transgressions, but strangely haven't planted them often since.

With canteloupes in the older (no longer present) aspen pole and visqueen greenhouse years ago, I had them planted in the north bed, along-side (ironically) corn; the north bed can't shade anything too much, so short, tall, vining, or greedy spreading plants are OK there. I found that if a person runs trelises of sorts up the north wall, and afixes little wooden knik-knack shelves up that wall in the area of the plants, they can position fertilized blossoms on the wall, and not only keep the things from taking over the area, but keep the worms away that often drill into the very bottom of what otherwise looked like a good canteloupe.

Last edited:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Butternut pumpkins aren't fat, they are shapely.
I saw on Gardening Australia that worms like pumpkin, the bloke had a worm farm and he picked up a piece of pumpkin and showed the worms attached to it, he said they go for that first and it draws them out.

Latest posts

Latest posts