What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Problems with curing in vacuum bags

THC123

Veteran
High guys,

Long time no see :)!

I am Always busy experimenting with curing an storage. I am not afraid to try new things, let's put it this way.

A friend of mine who won the dutch homegrown cannabis cup taught me a (for me) new method. He used this method to win the cup.

The method is basically dry the unmanicured buds untill the stem snaps or bends with an audible snap. Then put the untrimmed buds in a vacuum bag, then vacuum the bag and seal.

Then it needs to rest for 2-5 weeks after which the bag is opened and the buds are manicured, maybe dried out a bit more and then sealed for long term in another bag.

I tried the method and it seemed to work like a charm. I opened the bags after 2-5 weeks and the smells where really good. They still smelled as good as when I sealed them, even better, like cured without changing the initial aromas.

So I was real happy. Untill I smoked it...........

Now, before sealing, the buds where all sweet and tasty. After opening the vacuum bag and tasting one, I found a bitter taste, not quite the same as moist weed, just bitter.

But the weed itself looked and smelled PERFECT, also for other methods, like curing with calibers, my weed is even more moist, so I know moisture cannot be the problem.

My friend told me to just let it air out a bit and then seal it and it will get better. I tried, but all the buds that came into contact with the bags have that weird taste. It is simply not tasty to smoke anymore. It is real smooth and gets you high but a weird bitter taste.

I also did another test to determine if the bags are the cause.

Normally, for vaping only, I freeze my cannabis at a certain point in mylar bags. This works like a charm and the cannabis is Always fresh, sticky and super tasty, even after 2 years.

But as a test, I freeze some cannabis in vacuumbags instead of mylar.

And indeed, also the frozen cannabis out of the vacuum bags had a weird bitter taste.

What could be the cause? I mean lots of people conserve their cannabis in vacuum bags? My buddy doesn't know and he says he doesnt have this problem.

But I am not convinced.

SO what are your experiences with vacuum bags and their influence on the taste. I was so bummed cuz smell and looks wise, this method gave me exaclty what I wanted, except for the taste lol....

Lucky 7

I always use vacuum bags, food grade, leaving a bit if air in so as to cure and not to squash the buds. No bitter taste, always works like a charm. I'd get some different bags, mang.

Drewsif

I just had 2 bitter strains from the dispos.. It was scent additives comprised of citrus peel extract.

I've never had weed that was bitter by any other means.. Maybe the dollar store space bags are not food grade? Fresh weed is not bitter, its sugary. If anyone says they HAVE to cure their weed to smoke it, it's full of chems. There's nothing in weed that can be bitter except residual inputs.. Chlorophyll isn't bitter

Vacc bags are the exact same as a jar but you can control/exchange the airspace alot easier. Im the pickiest vapehead on earth and only use Vacc bags to cure/store my bud. Actually I'll just say it; anyone still using jars is just stubborn and hung up on something childish. They grow their plants in plastic yet won't store their chemical tasting weed in it...

THC123

Veteran
Well I actually did a side by side I also used mylar and the ones in mylar dont have the weird taste. The plants were grown in living soil and where nice and yellow. The ones that did not have contact with the plastick bags all taste sweet and how they should taste. The plastic changed the taste.

I prefer mylar over glass or plastic. I used plastic bags from the brand princess.

Leaf Eater

I just had 2 bitter strains from the dispos.. It was scent additives comprised of citrus peel extract.

I've never had weed that was bitter by any other means.. Maybe the dollar store space bags are not food grade? Fresh weed is not bitter, its sugary. If anyone says they HAVE to cure their weed to smoke it, it's full of chems. There's nothing in weed that can be bitter except residual inputs.. Chlorophyll isn't bitter

Vacc bags are the exact same as a jar but you can control/exchange the airspace alot easier. Im the pickiest vapehead on earth and only use Vacc bags to cure/store my bud. Actually I'll just say it; anyone still using jars is just stubborn and hung up on something childish. They grow their plants in plastic yet won't store their chemical tasting weed in it...

I heard dispos are adding terps to concentrates wouldnt doubt if they were adding terps to the bags too also head the terps are harsh

THC123

Veteran
The problem I had has been completely solved.

The culprit for the bad taste were the "food safe" plastic bags that were delivered with my vacuum sealer.

I have since then switched to vacuum bags made from mylar and the problem has been completely solved!!!

No more weird tastes and harsh throat, just good smells and great smooth taste!!!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The problem I had has been completely solved.

The culprit for the bad taste were the "food safe" plastic bags that were delivered with my vacuum sealer.

I have since then switched to vacuum bags made from mylar and the problem has been completely solved!!!

No more weird tastes and harsh throat, just good smells and great smooth taste!!!
Congrats! :) Figured it was most likely the bags, when you described the non-touching flowers still having great flavor. Glad you figured it out. :D

THC123

Veteran
That would also be possible. But I use vacuum because I want to have a different result than glass jar cured weed. I use it to retain initial fresh aromas. With curing in jars the smells often change: the best example is sweet pink grapefruit:

It has a very loud smell, sweet, bubblegum smell and something rotten on the background, complex and mouthwatering.

When I freeze the herb after drying or when I use the vacuum method, I retain these smells.

In glass jars, over time, the smell changes. It still smells strong, but I lose the rotten bubblegum background smells. Basically this strains turns into a boring generic white strain when I cure it. And I grow SPG for the loud fresh smell it has, so with this strain, glass jar curing is a big NO!!

For SSSDH ojd cut for example, glass jar curing works perfectly

Jamesandrew027

High guys,

Long time no see :)!

I am Always busy experimenting with curing an storage. I am not afraid to try new things, let's put it this way.

A friend of mine who won the dutch homegrown cannabis cup taught me a (for me) new method. He used this method to win the cup.

The method is basically dry the unmanicured buds untill the stem snaps or bends with an audible snap. Then put the untrimmed buds in a vacuum bag, then vacuum the bag and seal.

Then it needs to rest for 2-5 weeks after which the bag is opened and the buds are manicured, maybe dried out a bit more and then sealed for long term in another bag.

I tried the method and it seemed to work like a charm. I opened the bags after 2-5 weeks and the smells where really good. They still smelled as good as when I sealed them, even better, like cured without changing the initial aromas.

So I was real happy. Untill I smoked it...........

Now, before sealing, the buds where all sweet and tasty. After opening the vacuum bag and tasting one, I found a bitter taste, not quite the same as moist weed, just bitter.

But the weed itself looked and smelled PERFECT, also for other methods, like curing with calibers, my weed is even more moist, so I know moisture cannot be the problem.

My friend told me to just let it air out a bit and then seal it and it will get better. I tried, but all the buds that came into contact with the bags have that weird taste. It is simply not tasty to smoke anymore. It is real smooth and gets you high but a weird bitter taste.

I also did another test to determine if the bags are the cause.

Normally, for vaping only, I freeze my cannabis at a certain point in mylar bags. This works like a charm and the cannabis is Always fresh, sticky and super tasty, even after 2 years.

But as a test, I freeze some cannabis in vacuumbags instead of mylar.

And indeed, also the frozen cannabis out of the vacuum bags had a weird bitter taste.

What could be the cause? I mean lots of people conserve their cannabis in vacuum bags? My buddy doesn't know and he says he doesnt have this problem.

But I am not convinced.

SO what are your experiences with vacuum bags and their influence on the taste. I was so bummed cuz smell and looks wise, this method gave me exaclty what I wanted, except for the taste lol....

Hey brother I'm a farmer in Jamaica that grows around 20k plants every grow season for 4 months so that's 3 harvest a year In total after dry and trim I'm left with 20k lbs around that much normally I just dry and trim and buyers do the rest but now my customers want it cure. So here is the situation because in jamaica where I grow the temp is usually at 80-87 and humidity at 67-78 at times once I harvest I cut the buds from the branch and trim the larger leaves b4 hang drying in my make shift outdoor dry room 100x100 feet tent made from structure wood and tarpaulin for the cover so no sunlight in only leave areas open for air to pass in the tent the buds because its dry where I grow they usually dry in 5 days so I get my team and take them down around 60 ppl in 2 days normally have the buds off the stems and ready to trim we then use the dry trim bags to trim the buds we use 60 bags a bag per person in a whole 14 hour work day all the buds are trimmed and just need to be prepped a bit and totally manicured. Here is where I would like some help I have a link with a vendor that can give me the jumbo vaccum sealed clothes storage bags for a reasonable price could I use these bags to cure the buds I was planning on filling one up with atleast 50 lbs seal it down for atleast 2 weeks and store the buds in a kool temp room like at 60 degrees wouod this help with cure or it's not possible I know about container totes but those wouodnt be enough or it would cost to much to store all 20k lbs of bud thanks if u could help that would be helpful

THC123

Veteran
Hi, I would not use clothing bags or any plastic vacuum bags. I recommend you just order the biggest vacuum mylar bags that you can find. You can also reuse them after disinfecting with alcohol. IME the plastic really messes with the taste. And that was with food grade plastic, so I fear that the ones you plan on using might really mess things up. You should be able to order cheap vacuum mylar bags cheap from aliexpress.

mit reyas

use lid and ring on mason jar with hole drilled in lid to vaccum or bag will tend to go inside jar and crush buds keeps a long time no funky taste