What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pressing leaves for preservation book for my son, looking for any tips,tricks or advice.

Deleted User 0283844

Pressing leaves for preservation book for my son, looking for any tips,tricks or advice.

I'll be making three copies

I know about
Wax Paper
Pressing under weight
Laminate material

But looking to make a cool gift for him to see gentics that may no longer be when its his turn in the trench.

also to document For community and my own collection of botany inspired press work and waxed frames.

ThankS in advance to all.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

I'll be making three copies

I know about
Wax Paper
Pressing under weight
Laminate material

But looking to make a cool gift for him to see gentics that may no longer be when its his turn in the trench.

also to document For community and my own collection of botany inspired press work and waxed frames.

ThankS in advance to all.
Post a photo so we can see what you are talking about. You got me interested.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I used thick paper one below one above and heavy books. After they dried in there for a few weeks they were almost same colour as before and very flexible while being clearly very dry. And they lasted in this state without further degradation.
Not sure if that helps, but I may have used a bible for this.

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
I always use wax paper (sandwich, leaf in the middle) and then in a book with weight on top. I think the wax paper helps to preserve. I mounted and framed many but at the time not what you really wanted to hang on your wall. I also did it for reference but lost a lot of them in a flood. Not really any different then preserving tree or other leaves. They will fade in color though if exposed to light long term.

Deleted User 0283844

I always use wax paper (sandwich, leaf in the middle) and then in a book with weight on top. I think the wax paper helps to preserve. I mounted and framed many but at the time not what you really wanted to hang on your wall. I also did it for reference but lost a lot of them in a flood. Not really any different then preserving tree or other leaves. They will fade in color though if exposed to light long term.
So my tech was that years ago , and worked

I'll post a framed pic I have from 2010 leaves just turning colors as of last 2 years.

Now I've wanted to try and heat wax a bit to coat leaves 🍃 with a waxy layer to protect a bit better.

I may try thin epoxy in the style of a a coaster size and put in cd binder.