What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

prepping the gh before planting

B

BAKED_BEANZ

ok guys its my second run coming up for the gh. even though i,m a veteran with outdoor growing last year was my first play in a gh.

i learnt alot bug wise with encounters that nature norm takes care off outdoors. white fly, spider mite ,aphids (even though it has insect screens in place) kept the moths & butterfly out at least

brings me the question , do you guys prep your gh for pests or molds before you kick off. spray it down or fog it with pesticide ?? before planting

we could prob add to the thread what your doing to prevent such pests white fly, spider mites and aphids ect. i,m using yellow sticky cards this time round . to try to combat and slow them down

cheers people.

Last edited:
B

BAKED_BEANZ

ok guys since no reply,s did some googling round. its norm stuff as i suspected .

keep gh clean of weeds ect ect.

don't leave old pots and tubs around .

i think i,m going to get my family member who does pest control spray the whole place. only thing i was wondering if there is pests it will kill the good predators too. i,m in two minds. like does your greenhouse build its own eco system over time with good predators like outdoors.

or keep it sterile best you can ? this is the road i,m thinking. but if theres pest surely that means there good predators .

who,s got any experience here ?

amanda88

I can only tell you what I do in my small green house, it has 2 small bathroom extract fans, that each year I wipe down with hot water and bleach, once you have the bugs under control the next is the mold, keeping the area clear of foliage, keeps the bugs away for me, also companion planting does wonders, I now collect geraniums, for this reason

Also read up the neem post on here is great advice, neem does wonders for me ..when applied at the right dose, and it offers great protection from bugs and molds ...good luck

B

BAKED_BEANZ

^^ i,ll read that.( neem thread) thinking you may be right prevention better than cure . i have used it and am aware of it. but i,m thinking maybe a routine to counteract any bug issues. i let predators loose last season but there not the cheapest when you need to keep them stocked up every few weeks.

don't get me wrong it was by no means a failure in anyway just a learning curb for me with all these new critters. i,ve done some indoor but never encountered them kept things spick and span .

Last edited: