What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pray for the victims

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
1675698847089.png

moose eater

@RobFromTX, I watched my boiler dance in the after-shocks of the 7.9 that was centered about 75-80 miles south of my home, and 35 miles south of a former friend's place in the bush a bit over a decade ago or so.. My boiler stand at that time was 'red-headed' (bolted) to the concrete slab in the basement, and made of welded angle steel. Watching a reinforced boiler stand in the lowest place in the house, sub-grade, elevated from the floor by just over 2', dance like that was impressive.​

And my home is 36' tall (above grade, with a daylight basement not included in that measurement), meaning there was some joy-ride-type swaying happening on the 2 upper floors. Yet we suffered little to no damage. A couple cracks in the sheet rock at the top of the vaulted ceiling stairwell wall where the ceiling and the wall intersect; that was it.

That quake severed and relocated the Richardson Hwy down near Rainbow Mtn., a good ways east of the center, and placed the lanes of the severed 'butt ends' at different locations.

If you look at the Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer Alaska, online, Alaska sometimes has numerous quakes in a day.

Major differences in outcomes include the depth of the quake, proximity to center, as well as quality of construction and stability of the ground in/near the building(s) or structures.

News says Turkey just arrested engineers and/or contractors associated with the construction of some of the buildings that failed in this SNAFU.

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

current death toll passes 33,000.

what an incredible tragedy. smh

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

ISTANBUL (AP) — Survivors of the earthquake that jolted Turkey and Syria 15 days ago, killing tens of thousands of people and leaving hundreds of thousands of others homeless, dealt with more trauma and loss Tuesday after another deadly quake and aftershocks rocked the region.

The 6.4 magnitude earthquake that struck Monday evening had its epicenter in the Defne district of Turkey’s Hatay province, which was of the area’s worst affected by the Feb. 6 magnitude 7.8 quake that killed nearly 46,000 people in the two countries.

Turkey’s disaster management authority, AFAD, said the new quake killed six people and injured 294 others, including 18 who were in critical condition. In Syria, a woman and a girl died as a result of panic during the earthquake in the provinces of Hama and Tartus, pro-government media said.

Monday’s quake was felt in Jordan, Cyprus, Israel, Lebanon and Egypt. A magnitude 5.8 quake followed, along with dozens of aftershocks. The White Helmets, northwest Syria’s civil defense organization, said about 190 people suffered injuries in rebel-held areas and that several flimsy buildings collapsed but there were no reports of anyone trapped under the debris.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I don't even want to think where it'll strike next.
been several smaller ones hit in Oklahoma in the last year or so. they don't know if they were natural or man-induced from fracking though. only 3.3 last one, 5 days ago...North Carolina had a small one a month or two back. :smoke:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
I couldn't let pass this opportunity to ask for prayer for the Peoples of Ukraine and Russia, which is a greater tragedy than the earthquakes.
Bring your Spirit to alignment with values that promote life and well being and expand empathy with Love.

Ukraine-Russia war: 300,000 casualties in a year of conflict​

A year on from Russia’s large-scale invasion of Ukraine, the rapid advances and retreats of the two combatants have slowed to a grinding stalemate.

Richard Thomas
Cover-GettyImages-1246847891.jpg
An abandoned battle tank remains in the snow near Yampil on February 6, 2023, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Credit: YASUYOSHI CHIBA/AFP via Getty Images

Marking the one-year anniversary since Russia’s large-scale invasion of Ukraine on 24 February last year, the ebb and flow of the conflict seen in the early stages has slowed to a near-static frontline reminiscent of wars thought consigned to history.

Latest Updates on the Ukraine/Russia Crisis​

Casualty figures are difficult to determine, although western officials put combined military figures of those killed in action and injured across the two sides at up to 300,000, with peak rates of around 1,000 a day at present, as Russia’s new year offensive around Bakhmut grinds into motion. Broken down, it is thought that Russia has sustained around 175-200,000 casualties, while Ukraine is considered to be at least 100,000.

However, the difference in ratios of military personnel injured to those killed in action shows a stark contrast between the combatants, with Ukraine sustaining somewhere in the region of 10-20:1, meaning one military fatality for every 10-20 injured, whereas Russia’s losses are likely more of a 3:1 ratio. Taking these figures, military fatalities in the year-long war are possibly between 60,000 at the lower end, to around 100,000 at the top.