What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post your germination technique

Lifter

soak seeds in a cup of water for 24 hours, no more ,no less. Soaking them longer than that will lead to rotting problems, and soaking them in the first place speeds up the germination process as oppossed to placing them in a wet paper towel first(IMO) after soaking, place seeds in a damp paper towel wrapped in plastic wrap but not tightly closed (they need oxygen). Keep them out of the light and at an ideal temperature, about 70-80F and if the seeds are good and your thumb is green they will sprout within a day or 2.

G

My method is a bit different but always works within 7 - 24 hours. First, I very lightly file the pointed tip and adjacent sides; this takes a lot of time off of the soaking period. Second, I make up a very weak solution of Superthrive (I get a number of twins sometimes). Third, I soak the papertowels until they are almost soppy wet. Fourth, put the seeds in, fold the towel a couple of times and put it all in a tupperware container. Put the container somewhere warm (on top of the fridge is good) and check back in in a couple of hours. I always wait until the tails are almost 1 inch long before putting in the soil mixture or whatever. If I put the seedling in soil before the tail gets long enough, sometimes they don't continue to grow. This method is especially good for older seeds that have been sitting around for awhile.:)

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
i soak beans in a weak solution of maxicrop or similar seaweed fertilizer for about 12 hrs. then i insert them right into rapid rooter starter plugs pointed side down. i've only ever lost 2 seedlings doing this

bonbon

Re: PH control

Re: PH control

The-Student said:
When you use the rockwool cubes do you soak them in PH balanced water first. How long do you soak the cubes, 24 hours?
yeah,they should for24HR's in a solution that's adjusted 5.0 with a ph down liquid...bonbon

HyGradeChronic

I GOT THE BEST METHOD YET!!!!!

I GOT THE BEST METHOD YET!!!!!

..... 'k, let set yas allstraight. hgc sucks when it cumes to gerinating beans. fresh beans ryte outta the pod, mailorder seeds from gyp er whoever's got the flava of the day, old stashed seed from early cali daze, EVERYTHING, hgc sucks.:D
..... but, i'm sure lotta ya do too, if you honest w/youself, ....., and us.:p
..... now don't think i TOTAL huevon, i CAN do it, i just no likee!!!!! period...
..... but best way is damp paper towel, toilet pape is too flimsy and breaks down to the touch once it's moist. like when you get a good dose of montezuma's revenge, after a big beef n bean burrito, and you finges pop ryte through the pape so's yer finges is banging the sidewalls of yer brown hole. bwaaaaahahahahaha!!!!!
... then, after ya put into PAPER TOWEL DAMPENED, you cover plate med tight w/plastic wrap. then put on HD of pc, or cable tv box and do war danze to gAwD's of ganja. 4-5 dazes, you get what ya needs. uhhuh uhhuh!!!
..... but hgc got smart. 'stead of risking loosing beans to my ineptness in such matters, i get me a surrogatebean starter. i get me budi bumboKLIT to start em for me cuz he the best at it i ever seen. then, i let him go through all the monotiny of waiting for sex to show the whole while he's gotta treat em to TLC for the duration.
..... after they sexed, hgc gets to take ALL THE FRESH SEXED CLONES he can carry off. :D
..... true story. good luck w/however ya try germying them. good luck...:eek:
..... peace
..... HGC