What's new

Possible Smart Meter Solution?

jkeifer024

Hello all! This is my first post so bare with me. I havent seen this solution on here yet, and if it is my apologies Ill remove if it is.

So, I've been reading and thinking about smart meters reccently. The other day a solution came to me for those who can not or choose not to opt out of the smart meter program. From my understanding they watch for the pattern not so much the amount used. And in order to trick the meters you have to not show that 12\12 or 18\6 signature pattern. Below is my possible solution, please poke holes in it, add on it, I want your ideas and if this is a true solution that works I hope it benefits the community greatly.

Double your lights (See told you to bare with me). Here is the idea, for example you have a tent or room and you have say 2-600w HPS lights. The idea is to double that to 4 lights (if space allows). Then you could use a flipper (or multiple timers) and have it set up to have two lights running at once and switch between the other two throughout the light cycle.

Example: Lights # 1 & 2 are on from 6pm to 8pm, Light 3 turns on at 7:50ish pm and Light 2 turns off at 8pm. Light 4 turns on at 8:50ish pm and Light 1 turns off at 9pm.

With this switching of lights likes this it breaks up that pattern of cycles. Therefore there would be 2 start up spikes within a 3 hour time period based on above example. The amount of time between lights switching can be lengthened or shortened or altered daily to give it those random spikes.

Im pretty sure of this being plausible, but I have no real need to try it out (i.e. small op). If any of you guys with larger ops have the ability to test this idea it would be great. All feedback is welcome and I hope this 1st post turned out alright.

Tynehead Tom

it's being done man, exactly how yer describing it.
I've seen several rooms set up this way ever since smart meters rolled out in BC Canada a few years ago now.

growingcrazy

Veteran
Your method is correct, here is another.

For flower run a flip, ballasts run 24/7 just swaps rooms. That's easy...

I do the same for veg, 18 hours lights on, then flip extra lamps on in the flower room for an additional 6 hours. Ballasts never stop, no signal spikes, no cycles, nada.

A little more equipment, more room to play!

IMO, if you aren't running 10k+ watts then your best option to get around the smart meter is to quit worrying. I ran an 1800w setup with a smart meter for years with regular 12/12 and 18/6 timers, nobody asked a question and bills were always paid on time.

EastCoast710

I do the same for veg, 18 hours lights on, then flip extra lamps on in the flower room for an additional 6 hours. Ballasts never stop, no signal spikes, no cycles, nada.

IMO, if you aren't running 10k+ watts then your best option to get around the smart meter is to quit worrying. I ran an 1800w setup with a smart meter for years with regular 12/12 and 18/6 timers, nobody asked a question and bills were always paid on time.

lol your not understanding the smart meter lol. they know exactly what your running just cant do shit. without the rest of the country finding out they can figure out EXACTLY what you have plugged in. lol.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
that damn meter tracks everything!!!!! ...there is no tricking the meter..they know as much as they bother to check!!!...you can however still send juice back into it and keep it low....yeehaw...I start producing at about 8.25 am....the little digital arrow then points the other direction

growingcrazy

Veteran
lol your not understanding the smart meter lol. they know exactly what your running just cant do shit. without the rest of the country finding out they can figure out EXACTLY what you have plugged in. lol.

I completely understand how they work. They can tell me how many watts my water cooler is using based on usage frequency graphs. I get it.

That is why I said unless your running high wattage don't worry about it. When you are running higher wattage, pay the bill on time.

This isn't a hard concept. I was answering the OPs question.

that damn meter tracks everything!!!!! ...there is no tricking the meter..they know as much as they bother to check!!!...you can however still send juice back into it and keep it low....yeehaw...I start producing at about 8.25 am....the little digital arrow then points the other direction
Gotta love solar!

Ez Rider

Veteran

:yeahthats

Been running 2-3K of lights, plus support equipment for over 3 years. Pay the bill, be discrete, nobody cares. I've talked to people running 10K...they say the same thing.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
its only really going to matter when its federally legal.. and they dont allow homegrows.
hell, they don't allow homegrows now! if they aint busting folks when it's illegal, how hard are they gonna look when it IS legal, but technically not allowed?

jkeifer024

Thanks for the input guys. I know they can monitor more than just cycles and patterns, but IMO that and high usage would be the two biggest factors to raise an eyebrow. Now Ive heard they can tell what kind of device is plugged up, but i call shenanigans. UNLESS you have a device that is made compatible to communicate with smart meters. Also from my understanding they use something similar to wifi\cell phone data to relay the informatiom from meter to the company. I could be wrong with this but unless their is a chip inside youre equipment that is specifically for communicating with the meter there should be no way they could tell its a 600w HPS or a clothes dryer kicking on and running over night.

And i find it hard to believe light and equiment companies would risk losing their entire customer base over a non mandated microchip. Especially with how security concious our community is, someone would have found that information out and dumped all information regarding equiment companies that use that technology. I mean correct me if Im wrong but i think the smart meter maddness is getting alittle crazy and it is being over thought.

Im not too familiar with smart meters but from what ive studied up on this makes since to me. Like a few other stated. Pay your bills and be discreet and you should be ok. Especially under 10k watts.

Tynehead Tom

smart meters are the whole reason I use magnetic cap and coil ballasts.
The smart meter doesn't know it's a light, it just reads the draw, amps ect.
but with a digital ballast that operates on a known frequency, the smart meter knows exactly what is drawing the power by comparing the frequency wave.
A good friend of mine who happens to be a BC hydro/corex supervisor clued me in to that. His grow room is all cap and coil too.

I run a 60 amp , 8000w controller, or flip I guess. It's all anologue and hard wired.
I plug 2 flower rooms into it 3000watts per room plus environmental controls. when one room's electrical circuit shuts off, the other room fires up. All the current is running from the box and the meter can't tell what that box is running.

Last edited: