What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please sir, can I have some more poles

Ca++

As a tangent off another thread, I will share this here, to see if others have ideas they can share.
barr (1).jpg
barr (2).jpg

I needed more poles than the 4 supplied, and wanted my carbon static, but the lighting positions adjustable.
It's not quite what I was talking about. However, you could put another pole left to right, by sitting it upon then 'dropped' bars that run back to front.

Using the supplied drop bars at the tents extremities, they could hold quite a number of your own bars across them. Solving the LED hanging issue that a few bar-light owners have spoke of.

Obviously my loose bar isn't over the drop bars, and raises the roof a little. This actually stops any urge it has to slide, as I grab the cable, when I fell face first into the grow while training it.
The really keen eyed will notice I'm not looking in the door, and so will probably turn the 600 when I get two long poles myself.

I also made bars for the net frame, which interlocks with the tent, but are actually hanging from the roof using green string.
20230323_221354.jpg

I didn't cut that D shape, into the end of a squared off bit of wood.
That D shape, is to accommodate the 20mm pole. So a 20mm hole cutter was used. Making a 20mm hole through a slightly longer bit of wood. Before sawing it to length, straight across the hole. Leaving something like a wooden open ended spanner.
If the side poles needed support. I would fix the wood to the metal. I would do so with a cable/zip tie. Drilling a tie sized hole through the wood.
My poles are actually quite rigid. Where they join, I have lengthened the male pole, to fit further into the female. It's little male bit, extended with a bit of tube. Interference fitted, down the hole inside (I bet there's a smiley for that)

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Man you have a super nice grow friend. Wow! I love your plant canopy and everything looks so good. If you use a shower curtain pole extended all the way across the tent you could get more length. I use one to hold up a large curtain hiding my garden.. Is that an HPS or MH over the plant canopy?

Ca++

Shower pole is a good call, considering the environment we are in. I seem to buy a few of these
1650375296_12_1749.jpg

They cost about 15 sheets new. The local add-mag always has a used one. The shiny poles are copper plumbing sizes, so they get adapted, and free up bits like in my tent.

The pro-ultra shade is an award winner. It does a good job of making the elongated lamp, illuminate a round area. Though it could be better behind the lamp holder. In this case, it holds the CG GreenPower HPS.

That is the first look at the canopy I have had, since the switch over 10 days ago. You have seen as much as me. It's still being built, and as yet just on 180w of LED per meter. They have no reason to look unhealthy, but are rather weak and thin. The plants are an unbelievable 6 months old. Kept in 40mm blocks for about 4 months of that time. They went in here like broken poles, and are being flowered because I need to. They have freshened up, but I have no decent way of feeding them regularly, or other needed support in place. So they just live on weak light, in cool conditions. Keeping the RH in check. I just can't put the 600 on, so they are having a very easy time in there. They gave the cuts for a proper run. So these 16 are a quick in and out to make a little smoke, before I put an 8 pot system in for keeps. Turn up the light, and chase the problems :)

Edit:
They looked a lot better from above. They came from a small space with little light. Here they have had 3 days rooting into the stim pots, and are being dropped through the net and snapped in half, as it's being laid out.
20230311_202830.jpg

Last edited:

growshopfrank

Veteran
One creative solution for more connect points that i have seen was using those wire shelves that are sold for laundry rooms hung from the upper frame.
The advantage of this is a grid of attachment points allows plenty of options for hanging accessories exactly where you want.
Use your imagination and almost any heavy wire grid can be used for this.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
You can buy extra poles on Amazon. I bought extras for my Vivosun 5x5 and my 3x3

I went through the shower curtain rod thing and the garden tool handle thing but I am way to anal to look at that every day so I forked out the bux for the matching poles. I sleep better. LOL

Last edited:

Three Berries

Thin wall EMT electrical conduit would work good and is easily machined.

The title of this thread sounds like me begging my electric coop for old poles. I've got 8 so far.

Last edited:

Ca++

It’s a good idea to seal any wood as it can attract mould and also thrips
Treated rough cut is a little cheaper than planed. I just use planed though, as it's nicer to handle. It's smooth surfaces glue together well. The treated stuff is roof lat, so a very common size, and resistant. I have had no known problems with the planed, but the option is there.

Ca++

In my baby tent, I just needed a 60cm pole. Using G-Clamps and bits of wood, I squished the end of some copper pipe flat. Then proceeded to bend the flat bit, into a hook. Copper work hardens, so it was a lot tougher than I needed. I'm not sure I would do it again though. It was just to hand at the time.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are not gonna hang anything super heavy I use these for the roof and walls to hang fans or anything under 25lbs. If you want something that can hold more weight they do make them in heavier gauge wire but it costs a lot more. You an use PVC pipe instead of wood

Ca++

I wouldn't use PVC pipe as a construction material. It's just not for it. You pay a lot more, for something more short lived. Which is bad for the environment. Less flexible with design, but more flexible where you wish it wasn't. I find it distasteful. If people really can't screw some wood together, there are bamboo cane systems that make more sense than plastic.

You may of noticed the climate, which offers no reasons to use PVC where it's not even superior to cheaper more friendly options. Perhaps not advising the use of PVC can be today's effort to change how we think.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't use PVC pipe as a construction material. It's just not for it. You pay a lot more, for something more short lived. Which is bad for the environment. Less flexible with design, but more flexible where you wish it wasn't. I find it distasteful. If people really can't screw some wood together, there are bamboo cane systems that make more sense than plastic.

You may of noticed the climate, which offers no reasons to use PVC where it's not even superior to cheaper more friendly options. Perhaps not advising the use of PVC can be today's effort to change how we think.
PVC pipe can be reused for many years. Exposed wood is not grow room friendly, particle board is even worse.. What you need it for is a better choice than wood. PVC works great in our grow rooms.

Last edited:

Ca++

I have used untreated wood for decades. When you look what's in the air, and what buildings are made of, it brings no new problems with it.

I checked the thread in your sig to see how you were using PVC, but found you using wood, stuck in the plant pots. Every choice we make is a balance. Environmentally I can't see anybody making a case for PVC over wood. Or that century's old methods are causing problems. Though I wouldn't suggest constant wet for most woods, I have seen gutters made of wood, with the eventual ripping of the panda film factored in with the woods ability to swell.

I have used bathroom grade ply to make H section gutters. Thicker DPM sheeting over them than panda. Kitchen/Bathroom or treated grades, don't rot and mold when they get wet occasionally. It's their job.

I'm not sure any bug that's a threat to our plants, would be on the wood. It's just not that juicy green they want. I have had to spray every surface a few times though, and the wicking nature does assure even surface coverage.

I won't be swayed on this on. I have had people lean on frames and bust them. In answer to this, gone thicker. Where sideways forces are likely, you can add diagonals to form stiff triangles. My net frame here, strengthens the tent. While holding the sides from sucking in. Finger math suggests I will get ounces from this fact. It's worth about 8%

It's all a balance. PVC just seems harmful though. To the planet pocket and yield.

piper

I stopped using wood, never again

In the 1970's

Democrats said by 2025 the world will be in an ice age

Biden is one of many that are still in congress that signed that paper

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have used untreated wood for decades. When you look what's in the air, and what buildings are made of, it brings no new problems with it.

I checked the thread in your sig to see how you were using PVC, but found you using wood, stuck in the plant pots. Every choice we make is a balance. Environmentally I can't see anybody making a case for PVC over wood. Or that century's old methods are causing problems. Though I wouldn't suggest constant wet for most woods, I have seen gutters made of wood, with the eventual ripping of the panda film factored in with the woods ability to swell.

I have used bathroom grade ply to make H section gutters. Thicker DPM sheeting over them than panda. Kitchen/Bathroom or treated grades, don't rot and mold when they get wet occasionally. It's their job.

I'm not sure any bug that's a threat to our plants, would be on the wood. It's just not that juicy green they want. I have had to spray every surface a few times though, and the wicking nature does assure even surface coverage.

I won't be swayed on this on. I have had people lean on frames and bust them. In answer to this, gone thicker. Where sideways forces are likely, you can add diagonals to form stiff triangles. My net frame here, strengthens the tent. While holding the sides from sucking in. Finger math suggests I will get ounces from this fact. It's worth about 8%

It's all a balance. PVC just seems harmful though. To the planet pocket and yield.

You asked for suggestions. I guess other's ideas aren't really wanted lol. I do use a Plywood ballast board on my wall. Those ballets aren't used anymore. I leave it up for emergency backup. I do use bamboo stakes which I hate, No clue what you are looking at but I have no wood under my pots. Any in my flower room has been painted or covered to prevent moisture contact. I use drip pans if possible or nothing. PVC is better than wood in any grow room. Anyway do your thing🤙

Particle board is used in the construction where there is a lot of moisture/water so it can be replaced easily. Bathrooms, laundry rooms, and maybe kitchens use it for that reason. It is like a sponge. When not replaced it will be ripe for mold to grow, especially black mold. My house has particleboard in these locations. The rest of the house uses PLywood.

Last edited:

Ca++

You asked for suggestions. I guess other's ideas aren't really wanted lol. I do use a Plywood ballast board on my wall. Those ballets aren't used anymore. I leave it up for emergency backup. I do use bamboo stakes which I hate, No clue what you are looking at but I have no wood under my pots. Any in my flower room has been painted or covered to prevent moisture contact. I use drip pans if possible or nothing. PVC is better than wood in any grow room. Anyway do your thing🤙

Particle board is used in the construction where there is a lot of moisture/water so it can be replaced easily. Bathrooms, laundry rooms, and maybe kitchens use it for that reason. It is like a sponge. When not replaced it will be ripe for mold to grow, especially black mold. My house has particleboard in these locations. The rest of the house uses PLywood.

In them, not under them. The canes. You say wood isn't suitable, but have wet wood yourself. As I say, where needs must. You have made some sort of compromise, and used something you don't like or feel suitable. It works though.

A few suggestions have come forward. You don't like my applied wood method. I don't like your plastic idea. Nobody really likes others disagreeing with them.

If our genes make it another 5 generations, how might today's materials choice look then. Which do you really want me to use. All ideas are worth hearing, but then it's decision time.

I like the mesh idea. My propagation tent is made from a wire type shelving unit, 110x65cm. Hanging points every 30mm. For a tent, I would need some wall plant climbing mesh, sat above my bars. It would be nice to use, and give me a hard roof. Something like 4 mesh tiles overlapped and cable tied, could move between builds over time. It's perhaps as much thought as planning the poles in advance though.

I use canes outdoors, which is well proven, but washing and treating them every year is a concern. I'm thinking with joiners and the Pea&Bean netting, I could build a frame like indoors. Anchoring the net to a tree, as my plants always fall the same direction. I see no real way of adding serious diagonals to the structure, but I know that's just a limitation of the joiners. I just need half hour sat in a field with canes and reusable zip ties.
iu

iu

Perhaps another source of roofs bars, if you have a fixing method.

Edit: The use of chipboard in wet areas, and ply in others, is strange. Perhaps another sign of differing attitudes towards the future. Putting in something unsuitable, so you can change it. It just seems odd from this side of the pond. When I talk Kitchen&Bathroom, I say ply.
We can get a chipboard that's full of resin and toxins for wet areas, but it's frowned upon, and linked to bad building syndrome. Which for us, can mean plants that won't perform.

Last edited: