What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please PM me your personal experience with CHS Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

Gimpy

I remember reading about cannabis allowing bacteria to enter deeper into the lining of the digestive system. I'm under the impression the aza is possibly increasing this effect for H.Pylori or something?

I could digest a bowling ball, before I was first poisoned with Azadirachtin 10+ years ago.

I'm almost certain that either azadirachtin is psychoactive on its own or that it binds with the THC, affecting the same parts of the endocannabinoid system and brain but with unwanted effects. This would include just about every organ, but the stomach and intestines are very susceptible. People have been posting for a while that aza weed can induce a more-paranoid-than-usual high. Often it co-occurs with body coldness or chills, and then nausea kicks in.

The hypothalamus is a peanut-sized part of the brain that controls appetite and temperature regulation. It's my suspicion that this is where azadirachtin bioaccumulates, but that's just my own theory.

Before aza, I was also able to eat anything. My GI and metabolism was in excellent condition. Now I barely eat.

Gimpy

I think there's a big difference between azadirachtin-A and azadirachtin-B. I got a half ounce of shake for fifty bucks and could smell that garlic scent that aza gives off. When I got home all of it just crumbled to bits. I rolled one up and after smoking it, got the upper back pains and stiff neck again without nausea. My "light method" didn't work this time, but thankfully I just signed up with a dispensary that is strictly pesticide free, including aza products.

A friend brought a vape pen thing from Oregon a week ago that apparently had 96% THC and it messed me and my stomach up pretty bad. I'm pretty sure they still haven't gotten a handle on their pesticides either.

paddyod11

update: CHS is caused by cannabinoids and pesticides. you become sensitive to them through the same mechanism. there is an enzyme called beta glucuronidase that is produced by e. coli bacteria (there's tons of these in your intestines that don't cause disease) the function of it is to deconjugate molecules that are coming out of your liver, such as nutrients that you need to absorb (your liver bonds molecules with glucaric acid to make them water soluble so you can excrete them) if your gut flora is imbalanced and you have too much beta glucuronidase, it starts deconjugating other things. high levels of beta glucuronidase have been linked to breast, prostate and colon cancer, because excess hormones that are being deconjugated and kept in the body are causing the cancer. so CHS sufferers are not removing cannabinoids from their body. you know how you can get sick from eating too many edibles or doing too many dabs, or how doing dabs can make you sweat? these are the main symptoms of CHS, profuse sweating and vomiting. it is possible to reach a level of cannbinoids in your intestine that makes you sick, or makes your body try to sweat out the excess toxins. a person in the prodromal phase of CHS gets sick occasionally because their body keeps running into times when the level of cannabinoids in their intestines is too high. then hyperemesis occurs when the level of cannabinoids in the fat cells becomes too high and none of it is being removed. after that, all/most of the cannabinoids in your system have been removed so you go back to normal for a while. there is only one youtube video discussing the link between beta glucuronidase, but there is plenty of reading you can do on the internet about the other effects of beta glucuronidase. this is a perfect explanation for CHS as it shows how and why it progresses, takes all the mystery out. it shouldnt even be called CHS. doctors just call it this because they only see people who are puking their guts out, not people like me who don't puke. there is a supplement you can take called calcium d glucarate that inhibits beta glucuronidase so your body can properly remove toxins. of course there's no research on using it for this purpose, but it's been shown to be effective for other applications. I've been taking it for a couple weeks and pretty quickly I noticed that i could smoke more in a day with less discomfort. I've also started taking probiotics every day. maybe I'll talk to my doctor about it as well as you can have your stool tested to see your beta glucuronidase level. I'm out of weed so I'm just going to keep taking the calcium d glucarate and smoking small amounts with friends when I get the chance. Im not good at formatting my thoughts, but I hope this information is helpful.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interesting.

I've found the symptoms of aza to be more muscle tension, headaches and mild flu feeling... now that my (out of control) H.Pylori infection has been cleared up. Nausea really isn't an issue, since I'm keeping my exposure to aza/neem fairly low.

Oh, I can double up on these dirty dabs I have and after a bit that urge to puke (without accompanying nausea) starts to gather in the background. That's not cannabinoids for me though, strictly the aza, already tested it for myself and have a double blind study coming up in the spring.

Anyone with a real issue with plain cannabinoids, I feel for. At least most of us can get relief by switching to clean cannabis.

Gimpy

update: CHS is caused by cannabinoids and pesticides. you become sensitive to them through the same mechanism. there is an enzyme called beta glucuronidase that is produced by e. coli bacteria (there's tons of these in your intestines that don't cause disease) the function of it is to deconjugate molecules that are coming out of your liver, such as nutrients that you need to absorb (your liver bonds molecules with glucaric acid to make them water soluble so you can excrete them) if your gut flora is imbalanced and you have too much beta glucuronidase, it starts deconjugating other things. high levels of beta glucuronidase have been linked to breast, prostate and colon cancer, because excess hormones that are being deconjugated and kept in the body are causing the cancer. so CHS sufferers are not removing cannabinoids from their body. you know how you can get sick from eating too many edibles or doing too many dabs, or how doing dabs can make you sweat? these are the main symptoms of CHS, profuse sweating and vomiting. it is possible to reach a level of cannbinoids in your intestine that makes you sick, or makes your body try to sweat out the excess toxins. a person in the prodromal phase of CHS gets sick occasionally because their body keeps running into times when the level of cannabinoids in their intestines is too high. then hyperemesis occurs when the level of cannabinoids in the fat cells becomes too high and none of it is being removed. after that, all/most of the cannabinoids in your system have been removed so you go back to normal for a while. there is only one youtube video discussing the link between beta glucuronidase, but there is plenty of reading you can do on the internet about the other effects of beta glucuronidase. this is a perfect explanation for CHS as it shows how and why it progresses, takes all the mystery out. it shouldnt even be called CHS. doctors just call it this because they only see people who are puking their guts out, not people like me who don't puke. there is a supplement you can take called calcium d glucarate that inhibits beta glucuronidase so your body can properly remove toxins. of course there's no research on using it for this purpose, but it's been shown to be effective for other applications. I've been taking it for a couple weeks and pretty quickly I noticed that i could smoke more in a day with less discomfort. I've also started taking probiotics every day. maybe I'll talk to my doctor about it as well as you can have your stool tested to see your beta glucuronidase level. I'm out of weed so I'm just going to keep taking the calcium d glucarate and smoking small amounts with friends when I get the chance. Im not good at formatting my thoughts, but I hope this information is helpful.

Nice work Pattyod! I considered glucorinidation but I didn't consider these factors.

benzo

Thank you for your thoughts. this is indeed helpful

VamSogel

My Experience with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome - looking for help

My Experience with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome - looking for help

I want to make this post to tell my story with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

I have smoked weed for almost 2 years now (started smoking regularly around January 2016). My friends and I started smoking daily through a bong and joints/blunts. This continued through summer of 2016. During summer 2016, my friends and I smoked heavily (I would guess I was smoking around an 8th of weed per week). We also were taking chops (weed and tobacco) consistently. I never experienced any negative side effects from smoking until about august of 2016. I was just moving into the dorms for my first year of college when I woke up one morning feeling nauseas. I started to throw up and developed a very sharp, constant pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away. I was vomiting uncontrollably and the pain in my abdomen was unbearable. I could not stop throwing up and eventually was in so much pain that my parents had to take me to the ER. I could not keep any liquids or food down so I was very dehydrated and in pain. The doctors ran many tests (blood, urine, CT scans) but everything showed that I was healthy. I am a very healthy person and have never had any prior medical conditions/history. I am about 5’11 165 lbs. They suggested that I had Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome, something I had never heard about. I read up about CHS and concluded that it was ridiculous I could have such a thing considering that weed had always been super beneficial and something that I could count on to relax myself. It was also a very social thing amongst my friend group. Thus, my stubborn self continued to consume marijuana pretty much daily, usually smoking a joint or two at night. At this time I was in the dorms for college and did not have access to a bong, so I would only smoke bong if I was at a friends house. My parents obviously were very concerned and seemed to think that I did actually have CHS, but the doctors could not officially “diagnose” me with it. It was not until about 2 months later when one night, I had the same nausea from the start of school. I began to throw up again and the excruciating pain returned. Having experienced this before, I attempted to “tough it out”. I stayed up all night in my dorm bathroom, constantly taking hot baths to try and subside the pain. Eventually the morning came and I could not bear it anymore, I was also so dehydrated that I thought I would pass out. I returned to the ER and the same thing happened again. The doctors gave me some anti-nausea medicine, fluids, and eventually painkillers to stop the stomach pain. My parents were understandably pissed, knowing that I had still been smoking. again the doctors said they thought it was CHS and said I needed to stop smoking. (P.S. after both visits to the ER I generally felt fine the next couple days and did not have recurring symptoms besides my stomach being weak from throwing up so much) Once again, I did not want to give up smoking so I continued again. I smoked daily for about 11months with no visit to the hospital and no signs of CHS. Thinking I was in the clear, I had another incident very recently, this time being worse. I had to visit the ER 3 days in a row, each morning repeating the same cycle of vomiting, pain, etc. As of now, I have stopped smoking because I have finally realized that CHS is real and unfortunately I have developed it. Along with the excruciating pain, going to the ER every so often is not something I want to be doing.

It has been about 5 days since my last ER visit and I have not smoked weed since then, nor do I plan on starting. But, it kills me to think that weed will forever be something I must abstain from. Speaking to any of you who have CHS, is there any chance I will be able to consume marijuana every so often, maybe a joint or bong hit every week or two? I have accepted the possibility that I will never be able to smoke weed again, but I also was curious to try using only CBD? I have heard of the benefits of CBD and I think it would be something very helpful to me. Am I able to consume strictly CBD without instigating another hyperemesis breakout? I am worried to try anything because I really do not want to experience it again. If you have any insight - please respond with your experience with CHS. Thanks

Douglas.Curtis

As stated in the other thread, please read this thread.

I understand you're in crisis and though it sucks horribly you're going to be ok. Take some benadryl or other strong anti-histamine and start taking an activated charcoal pill each day.

Gimpy

I'm back, after having switched to a dispensary that claimed they didn't use pesticides. I became way too comfortable with the fact that my bud didn't have aza, and so I was smoking more. Suddenly the bud started to look more colorful and have more crystals, but I kept smoking, putting faith in another grower. It's true, the only way to know for sure is to grow it yourself.

@Douglas, I now know what you are talking about when you say stiffness and back pain. I can't find a comfortable position, and Another forum post you were just on, someone said something about permethrin and bifenthrin being in aza products (which I hope is BS). Worse than this is the headache, which kind of feels like it moves around. You CANNOT detect this stuff, regardless of what it smells like or looks like--especially if it's systemic.

Did anyone else ever get jerks and spasms? This game simply isn't worth it anymore.

Douglas.Curtis

I'm back, after having switched to a dispensary that claimed they didn't use pesticides. I became way too comfortable with the fact that my bud didn't have aza, and so I was smoking more. Suddenly the bud started to look more colorful and have more crystals, but I kept smoking, putting faith in another grower. It's true, the only way to know for sure is to grow it yourself.

@Douglas, I now know what you are talking about when you say stiffness and back pain. I can't find a comfortable position, and Another forum post you were just on, someone said something about permethrin and bifenthrin being in aza products (which I hope is BS). Worse than this is the headache, which kind of feels like it moves around. You CANNOT detect this stuff, regardless of what it smells like or looks like--especially if it's systemic.

Did anyone else ever get jerks and spasms? This game simply isn't worth it anymore.
So sad people have to grow their own, simply to avoid pesticides. :( Yes, apparently it's looking like someone sold tainted neem oil or aza extract to several suppliers of aza products. Growers are failing pesticide tests, products being removed from shelves and the end users getting the shaft again.

The only good thing is awareness is zpreading. Keep talking about it, keep working to find out more.

Hang in there. Eat more chili peppers!

Gimpy

From my experience, benadryl helps way more than claritin. You have to take it consistently in order to keep from getting sick, though.

benzo

Hey man, super old post, but hopefully you're still around.

Do you still have these issues?

Do edibles have the same effect as smoking?

Hope all is well

Douglas.Curtis

Hey man, super old post, but hopefully you're still around.

Do you still have these issues?

Do edibles have the same effect as smoking?

Hope all is well
Only when I use aza tainted cannabis. It's not a THC thing for me. All the local dispensary cannabis is saturated in neem/aza, so it all causes me the same issues.

Yes, edibles cause the same issues.

No issues at all with clean cannabis. ;)

Gimpy

Hey Douglas, I'm back with a question. If you grow marijuana with systemic neem that grows seeds, and then you grow a seed from the neem-treated plant organically, could you still have problems? People are swearing that they grow organic and still have the issues. Reddit has hundreds of people now talking about CHS, and apparently people are dying from it.

Also, did you ever have luck removing aza from concentrate via the light method? Wiki says aza degrades in 100 hours of light or something like that.

Douglas.Curtis

Hey Douglas, I'm back with a question. If you grow marijuana with systemic neem that grows seeds, and then you grow a seed from the neem-treated plant organically, could you still have problems? People are swearing that they grow organic and still have the issues. Reddit has hundreds of people now talking about CHS, and apparently people are dying from it.
There wouldn't be enough neem in a seed to taint a full plant. I would be extremely surprised. They're either a true CHS sufferer, meaning they have an issue with THC itself, or they have an issue with neem/azadirachtin.

If they don't have a problem with THC itself, it's probably the "Grow a plant organically" causing the problem. Neem Oil, Neem Seed Meal and azadirachtin (extracted from neem oil) IS listed as OMRI Organic. Though Neem/Azadirachtin are banned from commercial cannabis in Canada, it's legal almost everywhere else on the planet.

I literally only hear the 'ick' sound these days, any time someone mentions the word "organic." The problem is a lack of awareness about neem. Organic growers who mean well, yet continue to use 'organic' products without looking at the label and seeing the neem products in it. Growers who re-use soil which has been previously amended with neem products and/or neem seed meal. Depending on the makeup of the soil, neem can last for several years and still be a problem.

Also, did you ever have luck removing aza from concentrate via the light method? Wiki says aza degrades in 100 hours of light or something like that.
Ty for mentioning this, I had completely forgotten about it. I've had clean cannabis for a while, so out of sight, out of mind. I'll get on that this week and see. :tiphat:

As for people dying from this, I can believe it. Aza slows my digestion, till miralax and enemas can barely keep things going. My breath smells like a commercial kitchen drain, full of rotted food smell. My digestion essentially quits digesting food, and my intestines quit moving it along. So far the 'taint' in the cannabis has been low, so my reactions are just basic. If I 'up the dosage,' things will almost stop completely, the gas bubbles/pain sets in, and the vomiting is just around the corner. If I eat something wrong at this low level stage, it will also trigger vomiting for a while.

I remember reading something recently about pancreatine(sp?) helping THC/CHS sufferers, but I haven't tried it with aza. I'm thinking this is the perfect opportunity to talk to a physician about this. I may even know someone who'd pay attention.
Pancreatine (if what I read is correct, and I remember it correctly) turns to acid in the stomach, helping food digest.

Gimpy

I think I might be at the end of the line with buying from anyone. Almost any time I do I encounter 2 kinds of weed: the stuff that doesn't get you stoned, which is harsh and dry (still don't know how they grow this weed but it looks totally normal) and then weed with neem and whatever else is in there.

Picked up some wax from this guy. First time went fine but it definitely had neem, second time, WHAT is happening to me.

The stomach pain is so bad I've been in bed all day. I started losing control of my limbs. I couldn't pick stuff up. I just went numb and tingly--like your leg fell asleep but different parts of your body. I was talking to family members and suddenly I felt like I needed to take a seat, my brain felt like it was low on oxygen and I was not tolerant of stress at all.

Not sure what this stuff is but it's not typical neem. I've been high for over 24 hours and not in a good way. I'm on pins and needles man.

Hey Douglas, if you were ever going to get powdery mildew, bud rot, bugs, etc. What would you do to take care of the problem?

Hope y'all are doing well!

Douglas.Curtis

Picked up some wax from this guy. First time went fine but it definitely had neem, second time, WHAT is happening to me.

The stomach pain is so bad I've been in bed all day. I started losing control of my limbs. I couldn't pick stuff up. I just went numb and tingly--like your leg fell asleep but different parts of your body. I was talking to family members and suddenly I felt like I needed to take a seat, my brain felt like it was low on oxygen and I was not tolerant of stress at all.

Not sure what this stuff is but it's not typical neem. I've been high for over 24 hours and not in a good way. I'm on pins and needles man.
A few more posts and you can private message, yaaay! :)
Yes, the ability to freely grow your own is extremely powerful for your health.

Your reaction to the wax does not sound like ONLY a neem/aza issue to me. It sounds like you're having a reaction to another chemical in it as well. I would definitely avoid this source. Have you looked in the micro-growing forum? It's amazing how much cannabis you can grow in a 1'x1' space, with screw in LED light bulbs. :)

Hey Douglas, if you were ever going to get powdery mildew, bud rot, bugs, etc. What would you do to take care of the problem?

Hope y'all are doing well!
Like the answer to many questions in growing, "It depends." :) I use hepa filtered air and mass air exchange, so I've not seen PM or bud-rot in over 10 years. However, PM I'll use water and H2O2, or chop it down if it's too late in flower. Bud-rot I chop and toss.

Bugs? I take care of those in veg. Again, I flower in a hepa filtered environment so I only tend the plants when I'm clean. They don't get exposed to bugs, spores, dust, pollen or anything else. Should I happen to get an infestation, depending on how bad it is, I'll let it run it's course or chop it down.

Clean cannabis is awesome. :tiphat:

Gimpy

I don't have a picture of the plants but someone very close to me attempted to grow for the first time. Used LED lights, nothing in the soil, and it's been growing for about 4 months. Big plants, almost 3 feet tall. She switched her lighting to flower but does it manually and doesnt always do it perfectly at 12/12. basically what she has looks like the buds are growing, but it also looks like seeds/flower sacs are growing with it. She thinks it's a male but I think it's a hermaphrodite. There are 3 others that haven't flowered or showed their sex yet. She doesn't smoke pot and said I can have all of it for my ailments.

I will try to get pictures... Man it's been like 3 months since I smoked anything but PGR weed. The medical program over here is a broken system and all the weed does is give you an awful headache for 5 days.

Are males and hermies worthless? By my description what does it sound like? I'll try to send you a picture when I hit 50 comments.

Latest posts

Latest posts