What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please Help "Defoliation" advice...

It took me years to recognize the application of Defoliation? But due to a combination of a ridiculously crowded and a potentially bushy strain (Golosa by Delicious Seeds) and... unfortunately Powdery Mildew, in my Environment, I now realize the importance of certain degrees of Defoliation on certain strains.

Purple Punch my current favorite strain to grow (characteristics) seems to be way on the side of not needing much and although some people seem to not like stretch, I think stretch makes things a lot easier to manage and creates better air flow, even if it reduces yield somewhat. Here is my Tropicana Cherry, it was an ideal wide growing (lateral) and not too tall Veg plant for my LST single plant grow style. However now after two weeks or so in flower it is not stretching enough and I have had to defoliate a bit more than I would like.

Can I keep going without losing too much yield. I am not sure if the flowering nodes on this strain are putting out enough leaf mass to amek up for the defoliation? But even if I were to break even and neither lose or gain that would still be Good for me, as like I mentioned, I need to keep good air flow and avoid crowded to manage PM in my area! Thank you for looking... And of course trimming now is less work later.

One thing I do not completely understand is how much the Plant can transfer light energy to where it is needed; for example if a bud cluster is shaded, can it get its photons light energy etc. from somewhere else on the plant within reason?

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 98

X15

In the flowering phase, if the plant has already done its stretching and has limbs that are shaded, those limbs will not continue to produce buds at the same rate as the exposed buds and let’s say you let the plant go long, those shaded limbs will ultimately become food for itself to continue to have its best shot at another life via those nice exposed limbs.
Veg phase is different in the respect you can steer the plant in a different kind of direction. All that taken into consideration, the possibilities are endless and unless you have experience with that girl, sticking to a standard routine with minimal shock will help you create base line.
You’ll find it’ll just become a part of your routine and your style and it’ll be as natural a thing as knowing when they need water.

Those girls do look happy !

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your plants look good and the leaves look extra healthy. Defoliation can slow water transpiration way down. When water transportation slows it is an invitation for mold. The removal of leaves removes millions of stomata that the plant uses to transpire water and gases from the roots, and out of the stems.. Bud rot happens because the plant has no leaf stomata left to transpire water out of the stems. Water gets trapped in the buds. The main solution is to space your plants more and not crowd them together so much. 😎

Ca++

Random question. Barrier cream?
I spend too much time procrastinating, when I should be removing leaves. I just don't like getting covered in sticky stink. Nor wasting gloves. I decided to try barrier cream, but my creams dried out over the 15 years it's taken me to get around to it. However, it's to protect against oil/fat/tar/resins/silicon.. But rinses straight off with water.

Does anyone have a method they employ, to defoliate, and still be able to leave the house?

Sun&Soil

I spend too much time procrastinating, when I should be removing leaves. I just don't like getting covered in sticky stink. Nor wasting gloves. I decided to try barrier cream, but my creams dried out over the 15 years it's taken me to get around to it. However, it's to protect against oil/fat/tar/resins/silicon.. But rinses straight off with water.

Does anyone have a method they employ, to defoliate, and still be able to leave the house?
20231021_153035.jpg

Sorry, I've got nothing

Ca++

There is no exact number, but under about 75umol, our greenery can't provide for itself. It's awake, but is parasitic. This is why many people will clear the bottom leaves.
These leaves are indeed stores that the plant could use later in life. In the wild, this could help as competitors move in. In hydro, problems with running out in later life, are much more avoidable. This same divide, could see an organic grower dropping bottom leaves as an expectation. Their program relying upon them. They would surely suffer, by removing them. In hydro though, we supply everything. Vast numbers of storage leaves are not needed. This parasitic nature, is taking away from the top of the plants. That is more loss, than possible gain.

There are bacteria we can cover the plant with, that grow over it's surface, giving PM little chance. Bactillus Erectus, flying in a B727 or something. I forget where the timeline has reached. The Canadian outdoor growers are much more informed.

gorilla ganja

Something like this may help you.

Ca++

You laugh, but I have provided these. Only for the trimming team though, who seem to get it in their hair and everywhere. You can't run them home stinking, or expect them to bring a change of clothing. The ones for decorating are really quite cheap.

Defoliating is a thumb nail job, and so it's my nail, and that side of my thumbs getting a real coating. I stood there earlier, long sleeved shirt on, barrier cream in hand. Realised it was dried up, and gave up lol.

I was hoping for a quick answer, as some mechanic must of tried it. I'm torn between ordering, or just getting on with it. Or putting some water in, to see if it's recoverable.

I got it for someone that wouldn't use gloves. I think it was useful, but not great for hours of trimming. This is a different job though. Just half hour of getting brushed.

A lot of these 70% alcohol hand washes are cheap now. They could be of use, after failing to keep it off. I'm used to using iso for the job, but it's just too late

exoticrobotic

You laugh, but I have provided these. Only for the trimming team though, who seem to get it in their hair and everywhere. You can't run them home stinking, or expect them to bring a change of clothing. The ones for decorating are really quite cheap.

Defoliating is a thumb nail job, and so it's my nail, and that side of my thumbs getting a real coating. I stood there earlier, long sleeved shirt on, barrier cream in hand. Realised it was dried up, and gave up lol.

I was hoping for a quick answer, as some mechanic must of tried it. I'm torn between ordering, or just getting on with it. Or putting some water in, to see if it's recoverable.

I got it for someone that wouldn't use gloves. I think it was useful, but not great for hours of trimming. This is a different job though. Just half hour of getting brushed.

A lot of these 70% alcohol hand washes are cheap now. They could be of use, after failing to keep it off. I'm used to using iso for the job, but it's just too late

I use the black mamba gloves and a pair of these for defoliating and stem cutting.

Expensive scissors but very good and long bladed so can get in amongst a plant with only your sleeves brushing the outer edge of the plants.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 06.14.01.png

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Baleaf long sleeve shirts and gloves my man, anti microbial non stick shirt and gloves. My everyday.

I just realized the timing here is perfect. Why? I have the bushiest Plant ever: The strain is Dark Star.
IT is the first plant I have started defoliating before it went into flower and that wasn't enough. This thing needs to be opened up and more defoliated! And I still can not get the space I need for air flow in the Center. This has to do with the branching Pattern... These bushy strains have limited lateral branching and tend to stay together branching wise width......

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28

GF-Z

I just realized the timing here is perfect. Why? I have the bushiest Plant ever: The strain is Dark Star.
IT is the first plant I have started defoliating before it went into flower and that wasn't enough. This thing needs to be opened up and more defoliated! And I still can not get the space I need for air flow in the Center. This has to do with the branching Pattern... These bushy strains have limited lateral branching and tend to stay together branching wise width......

Probably you spent solid hour defoliating your thicc star, how many liters of cola she drinks a day? Gallon? More ? :D

I Care

I layed the ground to do mine, gives you a good POV. Can clearly see where there’s no light coming through.
Much easier, verses the crouch and kneeling, with the musculoskeletal issues I’ve gained over the years of abuse and recent auto collisions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33

AmanteSativo

I layed the ground to do mine, gives you a good POV. Can clearly see where there’s no light coming through.
Much easier, verses the crouch and kneeling, with the musculoskeletal issues I’ve gained over the years of abuse and recent auto collisions.

Hi, great plant, you really did a great job!
I would like to ask you a question, is it legal to grow in your country? If so, do you have a maximum number of plants you can grow? is this why you make such a huge plant? For example, I put 9 plants in 11-litre pots, inside a 120*120*cm box, in 4 months (with the right work on the plants) I harvest 600/700g. I wonder how much you collect, and in how long.

Latest posts

Latest posts