What's new

Please boycott the Loveland Garden Center

I try to support mom and pop businesses when I can, and have been buying my soil, perlite and peat moss from the Loveland Garden Center. I call the owner by his first name when I go in (Kevin).

He switched brands of peat moss, and I was really disappointed in the quality. Magestic Earth is the name and it sucks. There are big chips of peat that you can't break apart. They are hard, like pressed board.

I complained to him, and he asked me what I was worried about, and I said I was worried about hot spots. I do not know how the owner of a nursery in business for over 30 years, could not know the ph of peat moss, but he told me it was neutral, and the ph was between 6.0 and 8.0.

We wagered a bail of sunshine.

I brought him three references, including a paper from CSU's agronomy department.

He reneged, and told me that his peat moss is different, and the burden of proof was still on me. I could bring in my pH meter in if I wanted to.

I'm so pissed. What terrible business practices.

I've decided not to go back because he probably has a good idea of what I do with all that soil, and he is such a douche, that I'm nervous he will take down my license plate. Maybe my mom can take me and he can tell me that my pH meter is faulty. I'll never see that bail. :(

jd4083

Veteran
blah blah blah

so fucking tired of you idiots trying to boycott every company that looks at you the wrong way :tiphat:

intotheunknown

Veteran
yeah, i say suck it up, move on. perhaps find a new place?
if i were to boycott anything, id have boycotted most every store that ive been in. let it be man.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Yeah, I agree with these folks, just go somewhere else if you can find a better place.

There always ends up being something that pisses me off at the stores I shop regularly. I just have to go to the least worse place.

I told a grocery store once that if they would stock a certain brand of product I would buy $20 of that product a week. So they had me fill out the paperwork requesting the product, they gave me a smile and the head nod and thanked me. They never got the product, ever, wtf?? What more could they ask for?

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
looks like kevin gave you the wrong name... :D and wasnt really worried about your hot spots, but more interested in yer cash... lol.. grow a pair mcyummin.. peace n pufs

sackO

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
blah blah blah

so fucking tired of you idiots trying to boycott every company that looks at you the wrong way :tiphat:

I am going to boycott you for being mean to the OP

lol

now as far as a business owner trying to stand behind his product whether right wrong or indifferent. It happens and if you don't believe in the product it might be harder to sell.

as far as boycotting because he didn't believe your "papers", if you really want to prove the man wrong OR better yet look at the end goal WHICH should be getting the product in stock that you wanted, I would focus on finding the right wording to get your product back in stock AND to still be able to be on a person to person or first name basis.

think of the end goals and what you are trying to achieve. Do you really think boycotting over a damn ph wager makes any sense or do you think it would be better to just ask him to stock what you want to buy because in the end THAT is what matters to the guy versus trying to prove you wrong.

still2big

is this really a real thread? If i were to boycott every shit business ive been to I wouldnt be able to go any where or do anything.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
If your going to boycott the place at least tell kevin why.
Tell him you prefer that brand, and if he's not going to carry it, then you will take your business elsewhere. You then become potential lost $$$$, and no business owner likes that.
If you just stop going the guy will never even notice your gone.

Masterphonic

As a professional poker player and prop gambler I loathe those who welch on their bets, but isn't boycotting the man's business because of it a bit extreme?

Greenmopho

is this really a real thread? If i were to boycott every shit business ive been to I wouldnt be able to go any where or do anything.

Yup, my father taught me at a young age....assume anyone to be completely stupid, until they do or say something to prove otherwise.....ignorant until proven intelligent

If your going to boycott the place at least tell kevin why.
Tell him you prefer that brand, and if he's not going to carry it, then you will take your business elsewhere. You then become potential lost $$$$, and no business owner likes that.
If you just stop going the guy will never even notice your gone.

Yea, don't post online about it....go tell Kevin, "hey dude, if you're not gonna carry the shit i need, i'm going somewhere else, you've lost me as a customer, so fuck off".....but maybe in a more polite way...i dunno... maybe that actually might make a difference, rather than posting online, where maybe out of the 50 growers who read this thread, maybe 5 are near you, and maybe only 2-3 others also shop there, and maybe 1 would heed your advice and boycott....and Kevin would never even notice....LOLOL:blowbubbles:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
As a professional poker player and prop gambler I loathe those who welch on their bets, but isn't boycotting the man's business because of it a bit extreme?

I'll always drive a few miles further and pay a few dollars more.... to patronize a shop staffed with real living souls. Give me shit and I take my business elsewhere.

Move on to another shop. Don't waste your time trying to change the guy's mind.

H

HELLOSMILY

way to grow is the spot...in foco..good peeps...take your ass up their bro...the grow stores in loveland (not nurseries) all suck ass..:bandit:

Oops, I just realize my post was not on my subscriptions, and I just read the responses today.

To clear a few things up, I'd like to clear up some things about Kevin. When I asked, he totally was into showing me how he cooled and heated his greenhouses. When I asked what the other 3 greenhouses were for, he said seedlings, small plants and trees. He offered to show me all of this and explain how he did it. That time together bonded our relationship as far as I was concerned.

When I told him I wanted sunshine #4 organic, he got it.

When I told him my problems with his new peat he got defensive and told me to put my money where my mouth is and I took his bet.

I don't care if he doesn't carry the one product I want; I'd still go to him for the other products.

MY PROBLEM is that he welched on a bet, in front of customers and his wife.

I stood to lose $45. He stood to lose a fraction of that and could not do it, at expense to my patronage and all of my friends and family that gardens.

A man is only good as his word, and I don't want to support a family business like that.

Would you EVER give/loan money to someone who cheated you at the poker table? What if it were someone you trusted and they still feigned ignorance? Why would you play with either? Unless they were a complete fish, no; maybe if they were a complete WHALE, why would you play with him again?

BTW, do I know you?