What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Platinum Kush Breath x Green Honduras Haze micro seed run experiment

OZZ_

Veteran
As an experiment I set up a mini- micro tent that is only 2’ W x 2’ H x 1.25’ D to see if I can pull off some hybrid/NLD pollen chucking in such a small space.

So far it’s going well but we will see how things progress in such tight quarters. I don’t need tons of seeds, just enough to grow out for myself and of course when testing the offspring it will be done in full sized fully equipped flowering tents.

For this cross I’m using my selected Platinum Kush Breath mother chosen from a previous pheno hunt. This plant in particular I thought would cross well with the GHH because of her effect. She is very very potent but surprisingly …. The effect is quite up and even energetic …. as well as fairly clear headed **for a hybrid of its type**.

These effects come on fast and continue through the first half of the high with the second half taking on a more relaxing profile but not nearly as sedating or narcotic as many of the other hybrids I have been running lately. For those reasons alone I thought she would be a good match to a tropical Sativa type and when I scored a GHH male I decided to give it a try.

In addition to her nice effect that I personally really enjoy, she is an absolute frost MONSTER that leaves your hands literally caked with blonde hash when trimming. She has a structure that likes to throw off tons of side shoots all producing a million different budsites that results in tiny nugs…. It’s not my favorite structure but the nugs produced are extremely dense…. Like rocks that will test your grinder if it isn’t a heavy duty type. Extensive pruning to eliminate side shoots does help in this regard and she does increase nug size under those conditions. Terps are mild to moderate consisting of a hashy profile with a citrus backend if she is kept under 900 ppfd. Higher light intensities seem to decrease her terp profile.

Here are some pics from her throughout my various grows and testing with her.

1E8127CE-A9B4-4520-8D28-AC5B424B9718.jpeg

0033AABA-AAF2-443A-AAE2-4706F0E763CA.jpeg

5ABC3F06-CA58-4453-8DAF-4D2F644418E1.jpeg

A5CFA602-1564-4542-ABEE-B7854E0DFC1E.jpeg

CBA1F561-AE05-47C6-BA6E-1D0DB311608D.jpeg

6B4053BC-1E30-4CE5-9745-20D96A16D7BB.jpeg

F13B8BB7-11AE-4BD6-AD67-E0657B5A16FB.jpeg

8F6B74FE-609F-48A8-A037-F9E1F3AD3E0B.jpeg

5C595643-FBC8-4DA6-9AE3-FECBBA98A0FD.jpeg

Here are a few videos of her off my IG

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
…… the Green Honduras Haze Male I’m using is completely untested. I recently popped some Green Honduras Haze beans and ended up with three females and one very bright lime green male with a great tropical yet compact structure and a very bright fresh stem rub with scents somewhere in the area of fresh mint and pine. I have not had a chance to flower out the females as of yet.

I am **hoping** the Green Honduras Haze male will improve the PKBs structure and increase overall flower size while of course further swinging it’s effect to a more cerebral and energetic place and certainly I would expect that the PKB will impart an overall higher flower density, potency and trich production of the Green Honduras Haze…. At least that’s the idea but we will see how they actually combine once the offspring are tested. I have no preferences for flowering times with this cross and when testing the offspring selections will not be made with regards to flowering times.

Here is a small clone of the lime green- Green Honduras Haze Male

6BCEDB0F-BD5C-4FD0-99A7-8353F8FA9CE0.jpeg

…… and here is the teeny weeny micro mini tent. We will see how this works …. Or how bad it fails 🤣🤣

Seen here at 7 days 11/13, the PKB clone is being scrogged across the grate with a separate clone of the GHH male in the solo cup.

PPFD is currently around 350 - 400 but I’ll adjust into proper range once stretch has stopped assuming she doesn’t stretch to the proper range on her own.

PKB is being currently fed an EC of 1.7 at 5.6 ph which will be increased as flowering progresses. She handles a maximum of 2.5-2.6 EC with my nute line in my previous testings with her.

GHH being fed an EC of 1.2 at 5.6 PH and I have no plans to increase that, as that would likely result in burn and after-all we only need a little pollen produced.

FB3EAD48-5388-42B3-B378-F059E67CD1F0.jpeg

049598C7-95AC-4082-B818-8ECF785A5DA2.jpeg

Last edited:

The Zientist

Veteran
Nice one @OZZ_!

Are you planning on filtering the extraction?

I'm also doing NA 'Kush' types x NLD crosses for fun, though my latest attempt didn't go well. The reversed Wedding Cake x Jet Fuel Gelato didn't want to drop pollen.

I'm going for a second attempt using multiple cuttings and silver preparations.

Hoping I can pollinate my Thai Chi keepers!

When using true males, it's often best practice to rely on bulked pollen from as many males as possible. Unless using a throughly progeny tested stud.
Helps keeping a diverse portfolio of genes instead of betting all in one match blindfolded.

Have you tried reverse your favorite females?

Best of luck!
tZ

OZZ_

Veteran
Nice one @OZZ_!

Are you planning on filtering the extraction?

I'm also doing NA 'Kush' types x NLD crosses for fun, though my latest attempt didn't go well. The reversed Wedding Cake x Jet Fuel Gelato didn't want to drop pollen.

I'm going for a second attempt using multiple cuttings and silver preparations.

Hoping I can pollinate my Thai Chi keepers!

When using true males, it's often best practice to rely on bulked pollen from as many males as possible. Unless using a throughly progeny tested stud.
Helps keeping a diverse portfolio of genes instead of betting all in one match blindfolded.

Have you tried reverse your favorite females?

Best of luck!
tZ

Hey brother thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your comments. I do have a filter over the extraction but that’s only for extra precautions. The GHH male will not be left in there when he’s ready to dump pollen, I only have him in there now to get him under 11/13 light to get him to produce pollen sacs and get him ready to flower. Once the sacs are developed but before they are open I’ll remove him and put him in a separate area to collect pollen, then I’ll manually pollinate the PKB female.

I most definitely would have used extra males, as you say for diversification purposes …. but I only have this one male so decided to simply move forward with him and see what comes of it.

For now though I want to see if the results are even acceptable out of such a micro environment in this tiny tent…. so I’m not super concerned that the male isn’t tested or worry that he won’t be adequate. The OTH line has been worked well first by old timer and then by Dubi and the ACE crew, the Honduras line has been worked through also and then with their Green Honduras Haze limited edition they pollinated their best green haze #19 mother with their best Honduras males resulting in the seed that I got this guy from…. so I’m sure he’ll be just fine for my current purposes 😉

Thanks again for popping in! Really enjoying your current purple Zamal x A5 grow and will be following along closely 👍👍👍

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @OZZ_ interesting project you have there going :giggle: it's difficult to predict the outcome when you cross an indica polyhybrid with a pure sativa F1, probably there will be different phenos all over the place, although in such hybrids (unstable tamed indoor hybrid x more stable pure sativa) i've found extremely desirable expressions, looking and behaving like the mother, but with much more clean, uplifting sativa effects from the dad side. The infused sativa genetics will help to create more elongated flowers with better flower/leaf ratio, hopefully the very long flowering and untamed expressions won't be the norm, we will see when the right time comes. Good luck!

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi @OZZ_ interesting project you have there going :giggle: it's difficult to predict the outcome when you cross an indica polyhybrid with a pure sativa F1, probably there will be different phenos all over the place, although in such hybrids (unstable tamed indoor hybrid x more stable pure sativa) i've found extremely desirable expressions, looking and behaving like the mother, but with much more clean, uplifting sativa effects from the dad side. The infused sativa genetics will help to create more elongated flowers with better flower/leaf ratio, hopefully the very long flowering and untamed expressions won't be the norm, we will see when the right time comes. Good luck!

Thanks for the information Dubi 👍👍👍

That pretty much exactly describes what I was hoping for out of the cross …. Swinging the POI towards a cleaner and more uplifting effect and also creating larger overall flowers, since the PKB likes to put out a million budsites everywhere with small nugs. As you say we will see!

The Zientist

Veteran
Hey brother thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your comments. I do have a filter over the extraction but that’s only for extra precautions. The GHH male will not be left in there when he’s ready to dump pollen, I only have him in there now to get him under 11/13 light to get him to produce pollen sacs and get him ready to flower. Once the sacs are developed but before they are open I’ll remove him and put him in a separate area to collect pollen, then I’ll manually pollinate the PKB female.

I most definitely would have used extra males, as you say for diversification purposes …. but I only have this one male so decided to simply move forward with him and see what comes of it.

For now though I want to see if the results are even acceptable out of such a micro environment in this tiny tent…. so I’m not super concerned that the male isn’t tested or worry that he won’t be adequate. The OTH line has been worked well first by old timer and then by Dubi and the ACE crew, the Honduras line has been worked through also and then with their Green Honduras Haze limited edition they pollinated their best green haze #19 mother with their best Honduras males resulting in the seed that I got this guy from…. so I’m sure he’ll be just fine for my current purposes 😉

Thanks again for popping in! Really enjoying your current purple Zamal x A5 grow and will be following along closely 👍👍👍
My pleasure @OZZ_. I'm using a similar setup for my reversals.
You will get plenty of seeds, specially if you're using a regular male that dumps pollen.

It's always a mystery using males like this, specially with such divergent crosses. I'll be following along, it's a mating design I'm eager to explore more (elite 'hype' x NLD).

It will be fun to sift through those for sure!
If you find something of your interest, consider taking it to F2, by crossing your favorite sibs, or S1 it.
When they recombinate you can find potentially find even better ones.

The modern Chem/OG/Cookies seed lines I've gone through have shown to be quite stable in regards to overall quality, that is if you enjoy these types. Anything with TK, Chem '91/D, SFV and similar comes out pretty potent and loud, in the way they do.
My complain would be duration of effect, which I'm not surprised for the most part. At least for the majority I've gone through.

In my case, during the next (and first) cycle of PCK "controlled" open pollination, I'll bulk pollen for all males, pollinate the PCK females leaving the main cola intact for sampling purposes. I'll make use of that cycle to thrown in a few of my keepers from previous runs, such as Thai Chi#3 and #6, and a few others like La Bomba, which comes from a similar side of the genepool to your PKB. Looking juicy btw!

Always nice to have the maestro's advice @dubi.
Having dubi working so hard on his lines for us to arrive and bastardize them like this. 😅

Thanks for all!
tZ

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
My pleasure @OZZ_. I'm using a similar setup for my reversals.
You will get plenty of seeds, specially if you're using a regular male that dumps pollen.

It's always a mystery using males like this, specially with such divergent crosses. I'll be following along, it's a mating design I'm eager to explore more (elite 'hype' x NLD).

It will be fun to sift through those for sure!
If you find something of your interest, consider taking it to F2, by crossing your favorite sibs, or S1 it.
When they recombinate you can find potentially find even better ones.

The modern Chem/OG/Cookies seed lines I've gone through have shown to be quite stable in regards to overall quality, that is if you enjoy these types. Anything with TK, Chem '91/D, SFV and similar comes out pretty potent and loud, in the way they do.
My complain would be duration of effect, which I'm not surprised for the most part. At least for the majority I've gone through.

In my case, during the next (and first) cycle of PCK "controlled" open pollination, I'll bulk pollen for all males, pollinate the PCK females leaving the main cola intact for sampling purposes. I'll make use of that cycle to thrown in a few of my keepers from previous runs, such as Thai Chi#3 and #6, and a few others like La Bomba, which comes from a similar side of the genepool to your PKB. Looking juicy btw!

Always nice to have the maestro's advice @dubi.
Having dubi working do hard on his lines for us to arrive and bastardize them like this. 😅

Thanks for all!
tZ

🤣🤣🤣

Exactly this, all their hard work put in and here we go chucking them all over the place lol.

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 14 Ballsacks coming in on the GHH male, and I removed the grate on the PKB female because I realized it really wasn’t doing….. anything lol. I easily could have just LSTd her to this extent and this way I can remove her. There’s even enough space for another mini clone of another hybrid if I wanted to.

I may just move the whole tent to the garage shortly, once I see those ballsacks start hanging

599527DD-80F0-4345-BCD4-AF41F7B0222C.jpeg

E4565C2E-E976-4B52-8967-2E9BC14DC079.jpeg

F5F30CC4-5B5F-4DBD-803B-C8EF86918AB8.jpeg

2A5EC3F9-9BFC-41CB-8D6D-D40E7F67CD89.jpeg

9DD93265-12A2-4276-A922-70A77BF3BBB0.jpeg

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 17 11/13 - I removed the GHH male as he looks like he could start opening pollen sacs at any moment and I don’t want him doing so inside the grow room. I’ve isolated him out in the garage and will collect his pollen, then remove the PKB female and take her to the garage and pollinate her there. Let her set for 24 hours then spray her all down with water and put her back in the micro tent in the flowering room

6B95B3AC-A49A-42FA-BD92-DDD5C0BB199C.jpeg

C5ECF90F-37B6-4205-A5AB-AAB961C500E6.jpeg

4C1F1D5E-6D30-43F0-869B-B0854CB748B3.jpeg

OZZ_

Veteran
The mini micro breeding project is about ready for pollination. The green Honduras haze male has opened one single pollen sac. I’ll give him another week to open more and start actively dropping pollen then I’ll take the PKB female out there and get her pollinated.

Day 18 on them both and PKB female is starting to bulk up and is already frosting up as is her nature.

26D5D425-4AD1-4D31-8195-F2FF5D89D2C7.jpeg

06D901D2-1F17-4B9F-898A-855DCB091C7F.jpeg

C9CB8317-E42F-4B21-A91E-B5E78F45010C.jpeg

5A48C009-ADDB-4C31-8AE2-23D999FF99F2.jpeg

OZZ_

Veteran
My little breeding project pollination looks like it was successful! Over night many many pistils are withered back and turned reddish brown, a sure sign the dead is done.

PKB x GHH beans are officially in the oven! Or is it GHH x PKB? Is the mother in a cross first or second? I forget…..

I’ve bumped her ppfd to max of 800 on the tallest tops getting a lower workable ppfd of around 400-500 on the lowest buds, should be sufficient. Hitting her now with 2.1 EC.

I’ll stay at these values now and the next challenge will be giving her the full 6 weeks for proper seed maturation as she is a fast strain. We are currently at 3.5 weeks in and I usually take her at 7.5-8 weeks tops for smoke, giving her 6 weeks from now will put her at 9.5 weeks but it should be fine as I’ll just keep feeding her.

I didn’t want to pollinate earlier as I wanted her to have decent bud structures before pollination, being such a small tiny plant it was important to do so imo. She’s only like 8” tall and 8” wide lol. I have no idea how many beans I’ll get but it’s a fun little project. It’ll be a blast testing the offspring out. We will see.

334F8FE7-2916-413A-82C3-78CDBC4EB412.jpeg

C419C6B7-9E63-4D80-B143-AB08E6B28BC5.jpeg

FA26C50F-44A2-4825-BFAD-8AEEC0776B06.jpeg

C79645C4-C1AD-4DC8-A4CD-23B1D8EE64AE.jpeg

The Zientist

Veteran
Hehe!

Very preggo PKB. Congratulations!

I've recently done a Mango Smile (AF/DN Mango Haze version) repro, using a couple females of about the same size and it yielded me perhaps 500+ seeds I assume. I didn't even bother to count tbh. It was enough for me to fill to several flask tubes (10mL ea?) and roast and eat a few.

Keep it going!

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Hehe!

Very preggo PKB. Congratulations!

I've recently done a Mango Smile (AF/DN Mango Haze version) repro, using a couple females of about the same size and it yielded me perhaps 500+ seeds I assume. I didn't even bother to count tbh. It was enough for me to fill to several flask tubes (10mL ea?) and roast and eat a few.

Keep it going!

HA! That’s awesome to hear! Would love that kind of haul on beans.

I had the green Honduras haze male out today to clean up some lowers that were hanging into the coco. Just general maintenance stuff on my moms and dads.

Had to snap a few pics this guys light like green coloration just gets me. Can’t wait to see how he meshes with this PKB gal (or doesn’t lol)

I think I wasn’t careful enough isolating him out in the garage during pollination and I’m thinking some of his stray pollen made it into my flower room hitting all the doors x Ohaze girls, the Malawi and the Zamaldelicas too. I only found around 2-3 seeds on each of the doors x Ohaze girls I just pulled down …. Very few…. But I’m pretty sure it was this guy

Not the end of the world the (Doors x Ohaze) x GHH and Zamaldelica x GHH would all be nice crosses worthy of popping…. Even if it was unintentional. I’ll have to tighten up the way I pollinate the next time I do some chucking

6BBB5AE2-5533-403C-8DD9-F228550EAD6A.jpeg

6E4D6162-2F4A-4E2B-9F74-B7564E1ED01E.jpeg