What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planting roasted hemp seeds

orientalis

Did anyone ever tried planting roasted hemp seeds that are found in Shichimi Togarashi or other kinds of spice mixes? It probably might take a miracle but I'm just wondering.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
i did once and they didnt grow...they did sprout thou but that was it....i must say that i didnt give them the attention they needed so may have got better results with some care...i do have some still to look at one day and will.

used to always look at cheapy shops to pick up food goods here and there and found some "blue dragon" japan "seven spice seasoning" (went and grabbed it just then to get the info right) took out the seeds awhile back(what was left of them) and bagged them up for later use...

at the time i bought one or two containers...found it had "hemp seeds " in it and got a laugh out of it then when back and bought a half a dozen more for friends and family and the woman said " the seeds dont crack ya know?... my husband and i tested them already" lol...said i got them for a gag not the seeds lol.HH. =]-~

BlissDesu

I had the same results as happyherb - I tried a few seeds from '7 seasonings', and they opened but didn't grow. Had I been more vigilant, eventually I probably would have had success. I wonder how many Japanese know what those seeds are?

Mixed with spices - seems this would be a great way to stealth seeds through customs. Out in the open tends to be a great hiding place.

Last edited:

orientalis

It's funny though because everyone has it in their house hold but not everyone knows about it. Even I didnt know about until last week during dinner when I was dropping some Togarashi on my dish. I was actually surprised but I remained quiet because my parents were at the dinner table. I did took one and left it in water for a few days but it didnt sprout. So I'm thinking if I take all the seeds out and dropped it in a cup of water theres a chance that maybe a few might sprout. I should experiment that one day since theyre sold in every store.

sznake

jarhead
Those are not roasted. Roasted seeds are dead and they look darker anyways. There is no way a roasted seed could even sprout.

Either way, they are industrial hemp seeds. No THC at all!

lordbudly

Veteran
Those are not roasted. Roasted seeds are dead and they look darker anyways. There is no way a roasted seed could even sprout.

Either way, they are industrial hemp seeds. No THC at all!

wrong, quite a few exporters of hemp arent bred to low-no thc >.03% thats only american , canadian, and european hemp strains, lots of asia hemp hasnt been bred to lowered potency, also their are all kind of landraces in china like yunnan indicas, that still grow and get their genes into the "hemp"

BlissDesu

@sznake -
I think you're right that these beans are not roasted. They don't look it, and they should not have even opened if they were.

@lordbudly -
I think you're right that the japanese use other than a hemp variety. I would guess they use the 'dosanko' genetics from Hokaido area - but that's just a guess, and I'm venturing too far from reality as I know it.

C

Chamba

When I was in Taiwan, every Japanese restaurant had a small bottle of spice, I'm not sure of the brand, that contained lots of ground red pepper powder, black sesame seeds, other seeds etc and hemp seeds....which is funny because unlike Japan, hemp seed is illegal in Taiwan...I couldn't get any to germinate. I was told the hemp seed is put in there to prevent clumping from humidity (much like rice grains are sometimes put in salt shakers)

Latest posts

Latest posts