What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pigeon poop?

DanTheReggaeFan

Has anybody used pigeon poop in their gardens? I work with somebody who keeps pigeons so I have access to the poop if I need it but I'm pretty new to organics and don't really know how I would go about using it. Should I mix it in with the soil before I use it and let it cook for a couple weeks before planting or can it be top dressed, or maybe another way?

Also am I right in thinking it's like chicken poop so high in N and would be best for veg. What are the other benefits/negatives of pigeon poop? Thanks for any help.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
a guy who wrote an organic gardening book i have swears by the stuff , but i think you need to use it sparingly due to some pretty high nitrogen content..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
278852341_692494445332546_3363854205531448304_n.jpg

St. Phatty

Depends on how well the birds are fed.

I have a group of 11 miniature chickens that were hatched in January. The biggest one is the size of a pigeon.

They get a combination of carbs, proteins, grains, vitamins, and Free Range food.

One of the things I like about them is that they eat Blackberry leaves. Not enough to stop the blackberries from growing, but still admirable.

If you have some pet pigeons & feed them good, their poop should be very high quality plant food.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Never used that stuff but like the others said its heavy in nitrogen. Maybe your buddy has some aged stuff so the n is leached out?
I think its the same with guano, the more aged the stuff the more n is gone and mostly p is left.
When i used guano(p dominant) i mixed 1 tablespoon per 7l pot together with canna bio line and pk13/14 and got a nice flavour bump.

DanTheReggaeFan

Thanks, I'll have a look for it.

Depends on how well the birds are fed.

I have a group of 11 miniature chickens that were hatched in January. The biggest one is the size of a pigeon.

They get a combination of carbs, proteins, grains, vitamins, and Free Range food.

One of the things I like about them is that they eat Blackberry leaves. Not enough to stop the blackberries from growing, but still admirable.

If you have some pet pigeons & feed them good, their poop should be very high quality plant food.
I'm not sure what they're fed to be honest. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Never used that stuff but like the others said its heavy in nitrogen. Maybe your buddy has some aged stuff so the n is leached out?
I think its the same with guano, the more aged the stuff the more n is gone and mostly p is left.
When i used guano(p dominant) i mixed 1 tablespoon per 7l pot together with canna bio line and pk13/14 and got a nice flavour bump.
Unfortunately I don't think he does have any aged stuff. He races them and isn't really a gardener so I don't think he has a reason to keep any for himself.
It was mainly the nitrogen I was thinking about with this idea anyway because I was gonna get some bat guano for the high P. Is that a good idea or am I getting ahead of myself. This will be my first time off the bottles so I still have a lot to learn.
When you added yours did you let it cook at all or just mixed and used straight away?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
@DanTheReggaeFan
I just mixed the guano in, replanted them and gave them a few more days veg before flip. Its some time ago but iirc i used 1/3 old soil and 2/3 of some light mix.

In your case i would dev cook the mix for some time. Not sure if u need the extra guano when u use the pp.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
My neighbor raced pigeons.. he would clean out his coup (a converted detached 2 car garage) in the fall.
He said, and I believe, that it was too 'hot' (acid) and it needed the winter to normalize/leach out the badness in it.
He said planting in fresh PS would cook roots and harvest would be crap. He'd put that PS in his garden bed that was adjacent to mine, divided only by a chain link 4' fence. Both gardens were turned over in the spring and for years I had biggest and best tomatoes and cucumbers that could be had.. Just my experience.. hope it can translate to your 'garden'.. good luck.

St. Phatty

The pigeon poop is a function of what the chickens are fed.

It's not like if you feed them lead, that they're going to poop Gold.

Feed them lots of Fruit, and you'll get manure higher in P and K.

But generally birds poop roughly 2-2-2, and Calcium and Sulfur.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The pigeon poop is a function of what the chickens are fed.

It's not like if you feed them lead, that they're going to poop Gold.

Feed them lots of Fruit, and you'll get manure higher in P and K.

But generally birds poop roughly 2-2-2, and Calcium and Sulfur.
Fuggin chickens! How they shittin up here in the pigeon shit thread?? ;)

St. Phatty

Fuggin chickens! How they shittin up here in the pigeon shit thread?? ;)

Where do the plants get their Magnesium ?

Neither the Pigeons nor the Chickens have access to much Magnesium.

But it's still a significant plant fertilizer.

Going off on a Tangent: Magnesium works great in Thermo-baric bombs.

goingrey

At least chicken manure should be "complete" so it has Mg. They get it from the seeds in their diet, I would imagine, or maybe corn nowadays? What makes you say they don't have access to it?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

Donno.. whadat? Thermo-baric bomb? (shitty sumptin)

St. Phatty

At least chicken manure should be "complete" so it has Mg. They get it from the seeds in their diet, I would imagine, or maybe corn nowadays? What makes you say they don't have access to it?

The only supplement I can think of that has magnesium in significant amounts is Lime.

"In general rich sources of magnesium are greens, nuts, seeds, dry beans, whole grains, wheat germ, wheat and oat bran."

Sort of means it occurs naturally, like Uranium, but in greater amounts.

Almost implies that the De-composed granite soil where I live has a fair amount of Magnesium.

But how would you extract the Magnesium from the DG ?

Latest posts

Latest posts