What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Picture exif data, tags, meta data

NEED 4 SEED

I stumbled upon this, the file tags were always being deleted when uploading a photo to icmag. That's not the case anymore. Every tag is still there when you look at the media data view. Only when downloading that pic again Icmag deletes those tags in that copy but they stay online.
This should be taken care of immediately i.m.o. or at least being announced.

Ca++

This is indeed a very serious issue. If was just a couple of months ago I was made aware we could see some users locations, as their phones were attaching this information into the metadata. Thus, we can easily find peoples crops.

The website shouldn't of really come online with a fault like this.

However, ultimately the sharing of data isn't a site issue. It's a user issue. It is the user giving it all away.

An answer?
Well I personally use a PC. My photo's go from phone to PC, via usb. Not a 3rd party, such as my network. On my PC, they live in a folder. I have another folder, labeled IC. I also have a bit of software, called exifpurge. This software scrubs photos clean. In operation, it want's pointing to the dirty photos, and a place to put scrubbed copies. In my case, the IC folder. Nothing ever gets put in the IC folder, unless exifpurge puts it there. Thus, I know everything in there is clean. Everything elsewhere is dirty.

I can't even take a pic from the IC folder into paint, and crop it. This must be done while the pic is dirty. Any use of paint on a clean pic, is attached to the pic. Pics hold more data about where they have been, than you would ever think they need to.

If anyone knows of another clean folder option, that works differently, please do share. What I would really like, is a clean folder, that is automatically scrubbing everything added to it. So I can just drag&drop
Phone users probably can't use exifpurge, but their might be something?

Never expect any site to do this for you. Some sites (eg uk 420) are not even https. Meaning all communications between you and them, are not even coded. It's a hackers dream. Here at IC, it's at least secure communications, unless you choose to publish a pic with the data attached.

I would feel relieved to hear this is fixed now. I don't spend time checking peoples pics, so it might be sorted.