What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phosphoric Acid as Stabilizer for Fish Hydrolizate

Grapefruitroop

Hi all!
Does anyone knows the proportion to add phosphoric acid as preservative in fish hydrolizate?
Last batch i made got a little moldy on top and the smell changed too...now i have some acid layn around i was thinking to add it.
Read it somewhere before but cant find the info now!
Thanks!!

Grapefruitroop

Thank you sir!:groupwave:
Mmm ill try to get some ph paper strips...its prolly too dense to use the drops and def too nasty to stick my bluelab in it lol!!

Vandenberg

I understand that commercial and homemade fresh fish carcass hydrosylate that is immediately stabilized to 3-ish PH with phosphoric acid along with Sugar source and that is allowed to ferment and do its enzyme thing and will be ready in a couple, few months.
Correct PH if necessary as the biologically decomposing fishbones calcium may raise the PH over a period of time.
The low ph It keeps it from stanking nearly as much as lower quality manufactured commercial Fish Emulsion tends to.
​​​​
I understand that some have attempted to use sulphuric ​​acid as an alternative acid in this process/recipe which caused excessive offgassing in the resultant concoction, exploding a warehouse full of 275 gallon (UBC) universal Bulk storage containers awaiting shipment, a sight and a smell never to be forgotten.

Last edited: