What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phillips 315 CMH Vs. Hortilux 315 CMH

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
I have a pair of each bulb.

-The Phillips are running on a Sun System. Reflector. On a magnetic Sun System ballast.

-The Hortilux bulbs are running on a Eye Hortilux fixture with integrated Eye Hortilux ballast.

I'm a big Hortilux guy, been using their HPS , and Blue Metal Halides for many years , and still do.So when I initially wanted a CMH setup I went with the Hortilux.

It took some getting used to because you have to keep the light further away from the plants than the 400 watt Blue Metal Halides.Ultimately found the sweet spot and being able to keep 16- 24" from the canopy and keeping them movable is the key I found.
A friend of mine had a couple extra setups so he gave me a sun system set up with its own magnetic ballast in a Philips bulb

To me and my experience the difference in spectrum between the two bulbs is visibly noticeable both in spectrum as well as plant growth / appearance.my plant just DO not like the hortilux spectrum , the the new growth curls show instant signs of light stress. It seems OK for young plants / cuttings.but for mature vegging plants or mother's NO

Hortilux bulb in my opinion tends to focus more on pinkish and red spectrum and hues. Whereas the Phillips bulb gives more of a Blueish/White light , or natural daylight which I'm traditionally used to having run the Hortilux Blue Metal Halides for many years.

Just wondering if anyone else has compared these two bulbs??Or had experience using both?
It seems to me that maybe the Hortilux bulbs might be best suited better for a flowering lamp , then a vegetative lamp. I can honestly say my plants and mothers have not responded well to the Hortilux spectrum where As the Phillips is virtually no difference in growth from my Blue Metal Halide. (Only difference less watts/ more efficient.)

Has anyone else experience this or compared the two bulbs??

Also can the Philips CMH bulbs be run vertically??? I'm assuming both bulbs can be run either vertically OR horizontal.???

Last edited:

[Maschinenhaus]

Philips CMH 315W 4.200 Kelvin

image.jpg

No Name CMH 315W 4.200 Kelvin (It is a Philips Mastercolor)

35319363.jpg

Adjust A Wing Hellion 315W CMH 4.200 Kelvin

spectral_chart_315-CMH-white.png

Gavita Pro 300 LEP Air Cooled Classic Plasma (41. 02 means "full spectrum)
gavita-pro-300-lep-air-cooled-klassik-plasma.jpg

EYE Hortilux BLUE

Furthermore, a 1000W EYE HORTILUX BLUE has less intensity and a more balanced spectrum when compared to a 1000W EYE HORTILUX Metal Halide with more intensity.

spectrums-peak-energy.png

HMI/CDM-T(Lamp for photography)

cri-hmi-blitz.jpg

Metal halides (daylight) Sylvania BA-250 - 8.800 Kelvin

MSD-Sylvania-BA-250-2-8800K-Spektrum_lowres.jpg

Personally, I use the Adjust A Wing Hellion 315W system at this time. CMH is one of the best gas discharge based plant lamps along with plasma. The technology is still being improved because LED is not always the best solution in professional plant cultivation, besides the cost.

We cannot compare this new generation of CMH, plasma and also MH with the earlier MH and NDL technology.

Reference

Wiki (German Language)

dewiki.de (German Language)

Last edited:

Cactus Squatter

I’ve been running CMH setups for years, switched over pretty much immediately when they were “the hot new thing”.
I’ve run both the Phillips Agro bulbs and 1 run with the Hortilux. I didn’t even finish the Hortilux run before I swapped it out for a Phillips agro bulb. Also ran some other Phillips bulb that wasn’t the agro version.

My plants have always thrived under CMH until I tried the Hortilux bulb and then they did nothing but struggle until I swapped it out.

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
I’ve been running CMH setups for years, switched over pretty much immediately when they were “the hot new thing”.
I’ve run both the Phillips Agro bulbs and 1 run with the Hortilux. I didn’t even finish the Hortilux run before I swapped it out for a Phillips agro bulb. Also ran some other Phillips bulb that wasn’t the agro version.

My plants have always thrived under CMH until I tried the Hortilux bulb and then they did nothing but struggle until I swapped it out.
This confirms what experienced, my plants seem to struggle under the Hortilux CMH, but thrive under the Phillips.

On the other hand my plants under a 400 watt Hortilux Blue , out perform the Phillips cmh .
But I guess thats different comparison.

Thanks for responding