What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH Meter, maybe, Just Saved Me

I Care

Just got batteries in the water meter to celebrate the holiday yesterday.
Read out just above neutral on spring water jug and also well water.

Watered a few plants some Neptunes kelp which brought the tap water down to 6.1 without really making any impact on PPM.

The water coming out first was checking it 5.5 then the last of runoff I got a reading below 5.0.

I gave them the jug of spring water I was drinking because tht last reading below 5 freaked me out.

So they got some above neutral 7.21 spring water with a 327ppm and hopefully that’s enough to keep them from suffering badly from what I found during my investigation.

I’m just going to let them run on the well water here and nothing else until flower.

The soil I am using is 1 Part Peat Soil, 1 Part Perlite, 1 Part Coast of Maine Stonighton Growers Mix and 1 Part Coast Of Maine Stoning Aeration. Which is clearly a very acidic mix that isn’t good to use with bottle nutrients.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Just got batteries in the water meter to celebrate the holiday yesterday.
Read out just above neutral on spring water jug and also well water.

Watered a few plants some Neptunes kelp which brought the tap water down to 6.1 without really making any impact on PPM.

The water coming out first was checking it 5.5 then the last of runoff I got a reading below 5.0.

I gave them the jug of spring water I was drinking because tht last reading below 5 freaked me out.

So they got some above neutral 7.21 spring water with a 327ppm and hopefully that’s enough to keep them from suffering badly from what I found during my investigation.

I’m just going to let them run on the well water here and nothing else until flower.

The soil I am using is 1 Part Peat Soil, 1 Part Perlite, 1 Part Coast of Maine Stonighton Growers Mix and 1 Part Coast Of Maine Stoning Aeration. Which is clearly a very acidic mix that isn’t good to use with bottle nutrients.
You are kicking ass using your meters like you are doing friend. It is easy to catch an imbalance when you watch the liquids closely. Thanks for the post and keep us posted.

I Care

Uppreciate it. I verified with fresh soil, in the flower rig, the run off reads off at 6.1 on the meter I’m using. 7.1 low ppm pure well water went in. Coming to the suspicion the meter needs PH calibration and acidic values are being exaggerated.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Uppreciate it. I verified with fresh soil, in the flower rig, the run off reads off at 6.1 on the meter I’m using. 7.1 low ppm pure well water went in. Coming to the suspicion the meter needs PH calibration and acidic values are being exaggerated.
I use #7 calibration liquid for a storage liquid and that makes it easy to check and see if it's off or not. I just pour a little bit into the wet chamber of the pH meter. If it hits 7 then I don't calibrate it, but if it misses, then I just hit the calibration button and calibrate it. Using #7 calibration liquid as storage fluid helps to watch the meter closer.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Keeping the probe of your pH meter always moist is key. I just store mine in a solo cup of tap water and don't have calibration issues. I ALWAYS double check with pH drops.

Testing runoff is pointless. Make sure your inputs are always ph'd correctly and runoff won't matter a bit.

You have the meter so I'm assuming you have pH down and up. Use those tools to pH your nutrient solution to 6.3-6.5 before watering in and you will see excellent results.

Your soil mix is similar to what I use as a base mix and it works great. I'm a big fan of Coast of Maine products and the aeration blend. Get the pH in line and you will be golden 👍