What's new
  • Podcast

Our video interview between Gypsy Nirvana and Soma is now available to watch in the podcast section. Click here to check it out.

Peyote Purple s1's

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Supporter
ICMag Donor
Patron
Charlie/kaiki from cannabiogen did the work on PP. I still have 3 packs in my vault ;)

I believe it was a surprise s1 from the katsu cut that threw out a random male, and was used to make peyote purple (katsu x katsu s1 male)... Maybe he crossed the p98 in there too (can't remember)...

The weird lineage is part of the reason it was sold as regs but came out like fems most of the time aside from a rare male found. As recalled by my not so perfect memory...

Hammer I think I have one of your PP freebies tucked away also, or maybe a different querkle cross...

It's still out there, just have to know where to look...

Best of luck on your hunt

Yes, Kaiki used Katsu bubba to make PP. There was some confusion about whether the seeds made were S1 seeds..All of the plants grown were females. Out of 20 seeds, 1 was a male. It was so long ago I don't remember a lot of those conversations with him

cfl...KING

I would think of this of a isolated pheno type so unique that its like a s1,s2.s3 type generation of that specific pheno like a bx3 of a clone only. But maybe someone can give specifics. It was uique enough a excellent breeder gave it its own name. Otherwise he'd had just kept calling it bubba im sure. right ? :dunno:
Im considering the PP for a s1 selfing run with some STS in the not too distant future...
so we will see what comes of it
I'm saying un educated growers or uneducated customers would just call it bubba kush for simplicity

Thcvhunter

Im glad i came across this thread

I had been thinking it was a pre98 Bubba S1.

Theres a cut of PP going around NorCal that gave it a bad name because it only tests at 8% thc. But i like it. And has great bag appeal.

It would be cool to find a male in PP and hit pre98Bubba.

cfl...KING

Im glad i came across this thread

I had been thinking it was a pre98 Bubba S1.

Theres a cut of PP going around NorCal that gave it a bad name because it only tests at 8% thc. But i like it. And has great bag appeal.

It would be cool to find a male in PP and hit pre98Bubba.
It is pre98 bubba, it's a select pheno that was the renamed Peyote Purple an CBG made s1 seeds with it. It's the best pre98 bubba there is in my opinion.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Supporter
ICMag Donor
Patron
I would guess Kaiki used an s1 from his work with Katsu to make PP. I still to this day have no clue how they got a Male from an S1 line. It doesn't happen. To get a male you have to bx using reg seeds. When I found my male those that have more knowledge than I say it was contamination from reg pollen that made the male. I have no clue. The PP seeds I got from Kaiki didn't seem to be the same as what others got. Im pretty sure I read most if not all of CBG stock was given to ACE seeds?. If anyone does still have PP it might be Ace. I didn't know Seedsman was offering PPS1 seeds?. It was odd to see it in his forum.

There is so much info on Bubba it's not funny. There were at least 2 cuts of bubba that got passed around, Katsu and pre98. It is easy to tell these cuts apart. Pre98 is a leafier, squat type plant vs Katsu which stretches more and less leaf... Here are a few links with Bubba info. Keep in mind that in 2001 is when Oregon Kid 1st started making S1s of Bubba using the Katsu cut and spreading/selling them.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

I would guess Kaiki used an s1 from his work with Katsu to make PP. I still to this day have no clue how they got a Male from an S1 line. It doesn't happen. To get a male you have to bx using reg seeds. When I found my male those that have more knowledge than I say it was contamination from reg pollen that made the male. I have no clue. The PP seeds I got from Kaiki didn't seem to be the same as what others got. Im pretty sure I read most if not all of CBG stock was given to ACE seeds?. If anyone does still have PP it might be Ace. I didn't know Seedsman was offering PPS1 seeds?. It was odd to see it in his forum.

There is so much info on Bubba it's not funny. There were at least 2 cuts of bubba that got passed around, Katsu and pre98. It is easy to tell these cuts apart. Pre98 is a leafier, squat type plant vs Katsu which stretches more and less leaf... Here are a few links with Bubba info. Keep in mind that in 2001 is when Oregon Kid 1st started making S1s of Bubba using the Katsu cut and spreading/selling them.

You certainly do get males in S1/fem lines.
Its an old argument. But I know people who invented the femming process and they all find males, even when doing it in sealed rooms/warehouses, which disproved the retort by some that it must be stray male pollen that led to finding males in batches of fem seed.

LouDog420

Its an old argument. But I know people who invented the femming process and they all find males, even when doing it in sealed rooms/warehouses, which disproved the retort by some that it must be stray male pollen that led to finding males in batches of fem seed.
Would be amazing if you knew Mohan Ram from Delhi, which was the first published paper using silver nitrate to reverse cannabis in 1979 I'm aware of... Switched up to STS in 1982...

Or more likely someone "'invented'" the process lol

Thcvhunter

No
I was on a private forum and talked to guys that finalized a process in the early 80s. Perfected it by 90's.
Started with light pollution. Then varying silvers.
Im not on that forum anymore so i dont have the messages anymore.

The takeaway is the same - they all found males in their work.

acespicoli

The PP was even sold at a reduced price when I got mine due to the occasional male popping up in the s1's
It was written right in the description...
;) not that id complain just look at the source,
  • DNL »»» {RFK Skunk x Hawaiian} x Northern Lights
hermies are in all that stuff....people say its from the RFK skunk :chin:
cant get over the people that cry about a bananna

Hermies is the only reason anyone has bubba,chem,og, diesel....
and they still cry like little :gaga: girls about it :ROFLMAO:
like wt* you think? Its part of the game
watch em near the end
and you probably gonna end up with a few pop corn nugs if you wait too long to chop:dunno:

Peyote Purple strain > Cannabiogen ▷ THC 15-20%

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Supporter
ICMag Donor
Patron
Iv had this discussion with Tom Hill. I think others also got in on that convo?. It's all old. He has a lot more breeding knowledge than I. He calls fem males BS lol.. Any male found is just a highly intesexed female or pollen contamination. Its not common at all. I think I've found 2 in 60 years of growing. I've read the claims for others about males found in fem lines. It's just opinions. No one has ever had one of these fem males tested. There isn't any real data on this. Until that happens it will stay an opinion.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Yeah, we cant get too deep because theres still debate on the sex of cannabis itself.
Some science points to its all female, and some lean towards being 'male.'
Some say its all male and differing plants have varying levels of Y hormone suppression.
There's interesting articles on NCBI about plant sex. There's an old one from Hungary back in the day thats one of my favorites - theyve never stopped producing and breeding with hemp, so they have a lot of experience with and science on the plant.

Thcvhunter

Also, OrgnKid said the Katsu and Bubba came from different seeds out of Matt's Bubba

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Charlie/kaiki from cannabiogen did the work on PP. I still have 3 packs in my vault

Charlie didn't create the Peyote, the original and foundational work was done by Huesos from the Vibes Collective using the cuts and the Bubba Kush F2 seeds he obtained from Katsu via Stash, who was a good friend of Katsu Bluebird at the time. I believe Katsu obtained this Bubba Kush F2 seeds along with the Green Bubba cut from Orgnkid.

Huesos was growing these Bubba Kush seeds from Katsu. This seeds were "regular", there were plenty of males. I grew them too and I know a friend who recenlty did a repro. We speculated the Green Katsu Bubba cut was pollinated by something else accidentally, thus the males and females within the line. Although the true origin of this Bubba Kush F2 remained like a mistery for us.

Anyway Huesos got the Bubba cuts through Nspecta and the did some work trying to isolate his favourite phenotypes, which he called Peyote Purple. Charlie received this line and was impressed, because he never grew any US elite cuts whatsoever and decided to release their own version with Hueso's blessing. But in most forums you could read the line came from Huesos, despite the usual "marketing" stories from breeders trying to pretend a great work has been done since the seeds were first received from someone else.

I would guess Kaiki used an s1 from his work with Katsu to make PP. I still to this day have no clue how they got a Male from an S1 line. It doesn't happen.

The male didnt' came from S1 but from F2 seeds. Like I've said, Kaiki produced the seeds off Hueso's work, but never had access to the original Bubba cuts. I even offered them to him during a year I grew and compared the three Bubba Kush cuts for an article in a magazine and my old educational site elcannasseur.com. I was later able to compare those cuts to both the Peyote Purple and the Bubba Kush F2 seeds from Katsu and it was clear the F2 had pretty different aromas than the original clones, more fruity and much more stretchy structure as well in some plants.

On the other hand, it's still easy to find Peyote looking plants in the original Bubba Kush F2 from Katsu/Orgnkid, so it's just a common phenotype on that Bubba Kush seed line.

This keeper came out of CBG's release:

ZwP3SUs.jpg

This other two came from Bubba Kush F2 (regs):

FOc2sdv.jpg

This is the not-so-elusive Peyote pheno:
9gCfSDI.jpg

The info from the horse's mouth:

Hi Amigos- the Bubba Kush I grew last year is one of my favorites.

Nspectha sent me the Green Clone and TheDoctha sent the Pre-98 cut. I made seeds with a lone male from Orginkids Bubba Kush seeds.

I gifted seeds too many friends at another private club.

On how Charlie Garcia obtained the peyote purple: I gifted seeds to Barefoot. He traded them to CharlieG.

After sometime of making up stories on combining Pre-98 to this and that to come up with his Peyote- Charlie G finally admitted that this was my works he put out. I couldn’t really understand why he would make up stories.

I was really lucky that both Nspectha and The Doctha passed me those cuts. Just a few had the cuts at that time.

IMHO- she is so worthy of growing.

Happy-Happy-Happy grow on!

Last edited:

LouDog420

Charlie didn't create the Peyote, the original and foundational work was done by Huesos from the Vibes Collective using the cuts and the Bubba Kush F2 seeds he obtained from Katsu via Stash, who was a good friend of Katsu Bluebird at the time. I believe Katsu obtained this Bubba Kush F2 seeds along with the Green Bubba cut from Orgnkid.

Huesos was growing these Bubba Kush seeds from Katsu. This seeds were "regular", there were plenty of males. I grew them too and I know a friend who recenlty did a repro. We speculated the Green Katsu Bubba cut was pollinated by something else accidentally, thus the males and females within the line. Although the true origin of this Bubba Kush F2 remained like a mistery for us.

Anyway Huesos got the Bubba cuts through Nspecta and the did some work trying to isolate his favourite phenotypes, which he called Peyote Purple. Charlie received this line and was impressed, because he never grew any elite cuts whatsoever and decided to release their own version with Hueso's blessing. But in most forums you could read the line came from Huesos, despite the usual "marketing" stories from breeders trying to pretend a great work has been done since the seeds were first received from someone else.

Like I've said, Kaiki produced the seeds off Hueso's work, but never had access to the original Bubba cuts. I even offered them to him during a year I grew and compared the three Bubba Kush cuts for an article in a magazine and my old educational site elcannasseur.com. I was later able to compare those cuts to both the Peyote Purple and the Bubba Kush F2 seeds from Katsu and it was clear the F2 had pretty different aromas than the original clones, more fruity and much more stretchy structure as well in some plants.

On the other hand, it's still easy to find Peyote looking plants in the original Bubba Kush F2 from Katsu/Orgnkid, so it's just a common phenotype on that Bubba Kush seed line.

ZwP3SUs.jpg

FOc2sdv.jpg

9gCfSDI.jpg

Great info, thanks for the education.

Ya, I said Charlie did the work, not created the peyote, which is after he got the gear from Huesos as you say. Charlie goes over that in the thread I linked, he just never named Huesos.

After he got it from Huesos, he worked the line to better isolate the peyote pheno traits. All on page 14 and 15 of the thread I linked.

Good vibes,
LD

Nannymouse

i've given the 'S1 male' conversations some thought. After reading about plants that get 'extra' genes, i was wondering if those are the ones that might show up as male in a reversed line. (tripoloid?) Although i don't know that could happen coming from a female, unless, she too was carrying extra genes that were not expressed, or maybe people missed those first triple leaves?

i don't know if my terminology is great on this, ha.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Supporter
ICMag Donor
Patron

Anyway Huesos got the Bubba cuts through Nspecta and the did some work trying to isolate his favourite phenotypes, which he called Peyote Purple. Charlie received this line and was impressed, because he never grew any US elite cuts whatsoever and decided to release their own version with Hueso's blessing. But in most forums you could read the line came from Huesos, despite the usual "marketing" stories from breeders trying to pretend a great work has been done since the seeds were first received from someone else.

The male didnt' came from S1 but from F2 seeds. Like I've said, Kaiki produced the seeds off Hueso's work, but never had access to the original Bubba cuts. I even offered them to him during a year I grew and compared the three Bubba Kush cuts for an article in a magazine and my old educational site elcannasseur.com. I was later able to compare those cuts to both the Peyote Purple and the Bubba Kush F2 seeds from Katsu and it was clear the F2 had pretty different aromas than the original clones, more fruity and much more stretchy structure as well in some plants.

ZwP3SUs.jpg

FOc2sdv.jpg

This is the not-so-elusive Peyote pheno:
9gCfSDI.jpg

That makes much more sense. The PP seeds I got directly from Kaiki grew plants that looked similar to your keeper pheno. I don't have any PP seeds left. Just hybrids made using PP.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Musta. Good seeing ya here.

I was told there is a seedline of Bubba Kush by two different people and got the seedline from both of them. One guy is in Colorado, the other guy is an OG from the SoCal breeding seen back in the 90's. The SoCal guy bred Firehouse Bubba from his seedline and that was a big hit in Washington state. He told me Bubba is simply a barely-worked Afghan line.
Both lines throw out green, purple, and black phenos.

Musta, do you know if the seedline Huesos found a male in OrgnKids' seeds were his S1's or F1's? Because Ive heard OrgnKid also had the regular seedline and thats how Katsu got a different, green plant and labeled the Katsu cut.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Supporter
ICMag Donor
Patron
As I understand it now Kaiki popped some of Hueso's f2 seeds. Kaiki grew out a population of those F2 looking for keepers.. He reversed one or more of those F2 keepers to make PP s1. The female ratio is too high for them to be reg seeds.