What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pete moss and perlite as growing medium?

Hello guys I’m new here and the search is a mess honestly. I’ve recently started a couple plants in 50/50 perlite/Pete using bottled nutrients to see how it fairs against my organic soil less mixture. Has anybody had any experience with this? So far so good I’m only 3 weeks in and I’m on a pretty heavy feed schedule for the two plants that are in the 50/50 mix.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Welcome friend. Peat moss and perlite by themselves will have too low of a pH. Maybe you are talking about Promix hp and perlite? If you give more details we will be glad to help you and help you better..

If you use peat moss you have to buffer the media with a calcium charge. Also peat moss is naturally hydrophobic and one has to add a surfactant or wetting agent to the peat before using it.

Last edited:
I have been adding cal/mag as if I was feeding coco but super low levels. I’m running autos for the first time inside this mix ones in a 10g and the other in a 2.5g both are doing good and 2.5g is good and the one in the 10g is bigger and better looking than the ones in organic soil. I’m feeding 3 times a week and I’m not drenching the soil. Since I’m here already hat should I do? Keep going until I see a problem or what?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have been adding cal/mag as if I was feeding coco but super low levels. I’m running autos for the first time inside this mix ones in a 10g and the other in a 2.5g both are doing good and 2.5g is good and the one in the 10g is bigger and better looking than the ones in organic soil. I’m feeding 3 times a week and I’m not drenching the soil. Since I’m here already hat should I do? Keep going until I see a problem or what?
If your plants look healthy just keep doing what you are doing. When they fix the photos you can post a photo if you want to and we can get a look. Thanks, friend for sharing your work..

I’m not sure what went on but now the plant that’s in my organic mix is doing a lot better. Both are in 10g smart pots. Both are autos from 420 fast buds Gorilla Zkittlez.

Attachments

• 10C1C093-102F-449E-A2DD-B4F80B140A12.jpeg
    10C1C093-102F-449E-A2DD-B4F80B140A12.jpeg
    965.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 13869E60-A8EA-495E-B812-DBF3C413B906.jpeg
    13869E60-A8EA-495E-B812-DBF3C413B906.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 32
Welcome friend. Peat moss and perlite by themselves will have too low of a pH. Maybe you are talking about Promix hp and perlite? If you give more details we will be glad to help you and help you better..

If you use peat moss you have to buffer the media with a calcium charge. Also peat moss is naturally hydrophobic and one has to add a surfactant or wetting agent to the peat before using it
Let me ask your opinion. I don’t like how the plant looks could I put some diatomaceous earth on the surface of the soil and water it. I would do this outside of course. Do you think it would help. It doesn’t look bad It just has a small amount of leaf curl compared to everything else in the tent.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Let me ask your opinion. I don’t like how the plant looks could I put some diatomaceous earth on the surface of the soil and water it. I would do this outside of course. Do you think it would help. It doesn’t look bad It just has a small amount of leaf curl compared to everything else in the tent.
It won't hurt anything friend.

Latest posts

Latest posts