What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

.Blaque_Scheap.

I have some beauties in the ground and they have been dealing with ants, a squirrel, and a gopher(it might be gone now). I normally grow in fabric pots and have never been faced with these problems. Anyone have any advice with dealing with these pressures?

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Very healthy plants by the way. That shot of them lined up as though for a regimental parade has a Zen quality to it. With the gopher problem gone, squirrels and ants aren't likely to cause widespread damage. These beauties are off to a good start. You will surely pull down monster colas, judging by these robust specimens stretching out into the Summer sun.

St. Phatty

Humans are the ultimate pests.

Just out-grow most of the pests,
use a fence to keep the deer out,
and plan on losing 1/3 of your crop to the locals. i.e. plant extra.

And don't forget Stealth or you increase the chances of losing crop to the Ultimate Pest.

.Blaque_Scheap.

Very healthy plants by the way. That shot of them lined up as though for a regimental parade has a Zen quality to it. With the gopher problem gone, squirrels and ants aren't likely to cause widespread damage. These beauties are off to a good start. You will surely pull down monster colas, judging by these robust specimens stretching out into the Summer sun.
I believe it’s back again. Checked the garden today to find another mess and one plant down. It’s very frustrating. I feel like Bill Murray.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah not sure if OP means a little Caddyshack type gopher or what we refer to as a woodchuck in these parts.
Those get pretty big and have no fear of your average house cat.

goingrey

Are the squirrels really causing some trouble? Lots of them around here but never been an issue. I could see them going for seeds in seeded buds, maybe?

.Blaque_Scheap.

Are the squirrels really causing some trouble? Lots of them around here but never been an issue. I could see them going for seeds in seeded buds, maybe?
Yea they like to bury their food at the base of my plants and dig it back up. I’ve caught one digging and he took off as soon as he saw me.

goingrey

Yea they like to bury their food at the base of my plants and dig it back up. I’ve caught one digging and he took off as soon as he saw me.
Ha! Caught him red handed.

Funnily enough, I have been using bonemeal as fertilizer and people say it can be a problem in attracting animals. But apparently for herbivores like squirrels it is actually a repellent! So it could be used for double benefits, just be wary of carni/omnivorous pests in your area. Though apparently that could be mitigated with "broadcasting" (spreading it here there and everywhere),

ost

I have some beauties in the ground and they have been dealing with ants, a squirrel, and a gopher(it might be gone now). I normally grow in fabric pots and have never been faced with these problems. Anyone have any advice with dealing with these pressures?

View attachment 18728609

View attachment 18728611

View attachment 18728612
lawn chair, crossbow shot , judo point on bolt,wait till you have a armadillo they will dig a trench lookin for cal /oyster shell,never forget hot glue any nut to the trigger of a rat trap,works wonders!

ost

have u ever watched a bunch of birds ,on seeded bud in the fall of the year ?

Three Berries

Use t have chipmunks really bad. They would tunnel up next to the foundation and over time the dirt collapses. Had a big flood an drowned all the varmints. But they came back so I started feeding feral cats. Got two or three roaming around now. Keeps the birds on their toes too.

Vandenberg

420giveaway
Diatomaceous earth (DE) and borax are both common remedies for getting rid of ants. Borax is a naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to ants. It can be used as a powder or dissolved in water to create a liquid bait.
Ground Cinnamon powder sprinkled around offends and repels Ants.

i have gophers, mice and other ground dwelling creatures that come around at night despite the three cats.
I make a peppermint oil extract concoction using enough soap/ detergent to incorporate the floating oil into the water and spray it about which they find offensive to their senses apparently. Don't actually spray on the oil solution on the plants and watch your spray drift. Spraying around the gopher/ vole entrances makes them seek a better place to live without all the harassment focused at them. 😉

The new generation modern Poison baits are extremely dangerous as domestic animals (as well as hawks, eagles, buzzards) have died after scavenging/iingesting stray rodents with toxic no known antidote type toxins in the now dead bodies stomach/system.
The old style warfarin based poisons at least had an antidote available as an option.
Trap and relocate squirrel miles away I recommend.
Good luck and happy gardening.
Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

.Blaque_Scheap.

Diatomaceous earth (DE) and borax are both common remedies for getting rid of ants. Borax is a naturally occurring mineral that is toxic to ants. It can be used as a powder or dissolved in water to create a liquid bait.
Ground Cinnamon powder sprinkled around offends and repels Ants.

i have gophers, mice and other ground dwelling creatures that come around at night despite the three cats.
I make a peppermint oil extract concoction using enough soap/ detergent to incorporate the floating oil into the water and spray it about which they find offensive to their senses apparently. Don't actually spray on the oil solution on the plants and watch your spray drift. Spraying around the gopher/ vole entrances makes them seek a better place to live without all the harassment focused at them. 😉

The new generation modern Poison baits are extremely dangerous as domestic animals (as well as hawks, eagles, buzzards) have died after ingesting stray rodents with toxic no known antidote type toxins in the now dead bodies stomach/system.
The old style warfarin based poisons at least had an antidote available as an option.
Trap and relocate squirrel miles away I recommend.
Good luck and happy gardening.
Vandenberg :)
Thank you!