What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Personal size dry sifting machines?

goingrey

Do the Pollinator P150 and Tumble Now have any competition? What's the best one?

Are they a good idea in general or do they come with a bunch of problems?

funkyhorse

I have a Pollinator P150. I am using it 4 years now
It is designed to sift up to 150grs of material
I found that putting the Pollinator inside an horizontal freezer with a few coins inside the tumbler gives the better productivity. Quality depends on what you put in

Working like this for 4 years, so far never a problem. It is a different finnished product than ice o lator
Some people like more ice hash and others dry sift. I think it is a matter of strains. Some of them are better in one method than the other and is a question of finding out. For sativas I prefer using Pollinator big time

I have seen similar machines much cheaper. Quality I dont know but they look the same
I hope it helps

goingrey

I have a Pollinator P150. I am using it 4 years now
It is designed to sift up to 150grs of material
I found that putting the Pollinator inside an horizontal freezer with a few coins inside the tumbler gives the better productivity. Quality depends on what you put in

Working like this for 4 years, so far never a problem. It is a different finnished product than ice o lator
Some people like more ice hash and others dry sift. I think it is a matter of strains. Some of them are better in one method than the other and is a question of finding out. For sativas I prefer using Pollinator big time

I have seen similar machines much cheaper. Quality I dont know but they look the same
I hope it helps

Nice thanks for the answer! Hope you won't mind answering some others..

Do you use the standard 150 micron drum or a tighter one? I wonder if a 120 would be better (as in leaving more vegetable matter behind but letting a similar amount of resin through), 90 is probably too tight. Then again, don't want to leave stuff behind either.

Do you think the "bottomless" model is worth the extra cost? Seems like removing the drum shouldn't be a huge effort, or is it? How about cleaning/maintenance. Easy to do?

Can you remember where you've seen the cheaper options? I can't find any.

funkyhorse

I have a 145 micron drum and I think for this kind of machine is enough. If it is a bigger machine where you can process quantity it might make sense a tighter one

I have the bottomless model and I make 3 runs
First run 5 min and 2 more runs of 15 min each. Total of 40 min work per batch
Without the bottomless model this would not be possibly, I am working inside a freezer and the time it takes to remove and process the stuff makes the freezing to melt and it would be a mess. With the bottomless in less than a minute the tumbler is back in the freezer working the next batch and at the same time it is doing it I processed the dry sift, made it hash and labeled it
This size is hobby size. I mix strains I dont like smoking
But if you grow just one strain and you know you need certain micronage then you can make it on order

I have seen it cheaper in my local market with 220 micron tumbler, probably chinese origin

mack 10

Veteran
Do the Pollinator P150 and Tumble Now have any competition? What's the best one?

Are they a good idea in general or do they come with a bunch of problems?
The pollinators are the original and prob best made , with exceptions, like the Ape, but that's 2x, x3 the cost. The cheaper ones with have cheaper parts on. Shop around you should be able to get one slightly cheaper.
Actually looking for one myself. Something with 150micron ish, screen.
Let us know how you get on.

goingrey

The pollinators are the original and prob best made , with exceptions, like the Ape, but that's 2x, x3 the cost. The cheaper ones with have cheaper parts on. Shop around you should be able to get one slightly cheaper.
Actually looking for one myself. Something with 150micron ish, screen.
Let us know how you get on.

Couldn't find any but I did see some cheaper automatic sieve shaker machines on Amazon. They aren't spinning drums but shaking screens. Wonder how well they would work.

You could also run the bottomless one ontop of several screens. Then you could clean it,
Grade it, an be cooking all in one.

Yup this is a really good benefit of the bottomless one. And interesting point from @funkyhorse about thawed out material making a mess. The price difference is pretty big when taking into account good deals available online for the non-bottomless one though, about 150 EUR.

Reactions: Gry

goingrey

So, finally got one.

Cheaped out and got a Secret Smoke SSBOX2. Total Pollinator P150 copy but less than half the price. Not bottomless.

So now the question is do I wait until winter to try it out hehe. Pretty eager but don't think it will fit in my freezer.

bibi40

So, finally got one.

Cheaped out and got a Secret Smoke SSBOX2. Total Pollinator P150 copy but less than half the price. Not bottomless.

So now the question is do I wait until winter to try it out hehe. Pretty eager but don't think it will fit in my freezer.
lol !

no you can' t wait ,
you have to try and report , a little batch is the minimum ;)

so perhaps i will get one too ...

(y)

goingrey

lol !

no you can' t wait ,
you have to try and report , a little batch is the minimum ;)

so perhaps i will get one too ...

(y)
Hehe ok bro I got you!

It came in a box like this:

s.jpg

Seems it is just assembled from readily available parts. Which is fine. But they could have cut the strings off the mesh bag, LOL!

s2.jpg

This is a half load (75g), mixed buds crumbled by hand.

s3.jpg

First run was 5 minutes at half speed. Yield was 3 grams (4%). Quality seems quite nice.

s6.jpg

Second run was 10 minutes at full speed. Yield was less and contaminants started creeping in (pistil pieces mainly). Turned down the speed to 1/3, put a couple of coins in the drum, and will run it for "a while" to get a better low grade yield.

bibi40

Hehe ok bro I got you!

It came in a box like this:

View attachment 18858379

Seems it is just assembled from readily available parts. Which is fine. But they could have cut the strings off the mesh bag, LOL!

View attachment 18858380

This is a half load (75g), mixed buds crumbled by hand.

View attachment 18858383

First run was 5 minutes at half speed. Yield was 3 grams (4%). Quality seems quite nice.

View attachment 18858384

Second run was 10 minutes at full speed. Yield was less and contaminants started creeping in (pistil pieces mainly). Turned down the speed to 1/3, put a couple of coins in the drum, and will run it for "a while" to get a better low grade yield.
Nice one !

Thanks for the report !!!

goingrey

The lower grade I ran overnight, 7 hours or so. :D

As you will all know, that's too long, turned out pretty green. Maybe it would also have been better to leave the coins out, who knows.

s.jpg

Safe to say the 5 minute run is better, even though I have not tried it yet.

But to my surprise and delight the 7 hour run is not bad at all! Tastes better than it looks, proper hashy, coats your mouth for a long time. Nice uplifting effect.

9 grams, so a total of 12g or a 16% yield.

Next experiment will be to test how much magic is left in the gruis.

goingrey

Next experiment will be to test how much magic is left in the gruis.
So the shake just feels wong. Not quite vape duff wrong but, still, something's off.

Smoked or vaped it's ok, def not vape duff wrong. Just kinda bland. And not so strong.

Worth saving for sure. Good for, say... a mixer in a hash joint! :D ahahaha

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Couldn't find any but I did see some cheaper automatic sieve shaker machines on Amazon. They aren't spinning drums but shaking screens. Wonder how well they would work.

If you're talking about vibratory screens, they will sort out anything by size, but you have to have something for them to sort - vibration is not a strong enough mechanical action to knock off a fair amount of trichomes, except maybe if there's dry ice mixed in or something.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I made this one years ago and it still works great. You can hand shake it or, for bigger jobs I used a paint shaker.

Attachments

• drysiftstash.jpg
    drysiftstash.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 73
  • drysift-5.jpg
    drysift-5.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 75
  • drysift-4.jpg
    drysift-4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 84
  • drysift-3.jpg
    drysift-3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 73
  • drysift-2.jpg
    drysift-2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 71
  • drysift-1.jpg
    drysift-1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69

shiva82

i tumble with a 150 and then have separate screens [old bubble bags ]to shake clean the keif if i choose to , or i filter the kief by rosin technique pressing through 25 u screens on low heat . you can make your own silk screens or static cleaner to remove the debris . the standard screen is to start the process off and do the bulk of your work for you. hoover clean , and alcohol wipe the screen . the longer you run the machine the more debris break up and get through as expected. and frozen is best. dry ice in there too can help

Latest posts

Latest posts