What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

You seem to have had the best luck starting seeds in the past by mixing fresh media and digging out the center.

That's what I ended up doing for this seed.
I did have the lights too bright and kinda scorched her.
I checked my thread and I'm going to try to do the same as I did for that plant from last February, so I plugged in all the lights and turned them down to the same level, and I've got the dome back on now.

I don't really know what happened with this seed? She's not looking great, but she is hanging on.
She looks the same as she did last night.
I'll give her a day or two and see if she improves.
She doesn't look like she's dying but she has become stagnant.

20221001_065455.jpg

PCBuds

gently put more medium round her base. She's pushed her root quite a way out.

OK, I'll try that.

20221001_100622.jpg

She does look pretty good, she's just not standing upright. Maybe with her root covered and supported, she can stand up straight now?
I packed it in lightly then gave it a few drops of water.
I figure the root needs to be damp?

20221001_100639.jpg

Being as the last seedling has recovered, I have hope for this one.

20221001_095918.jpg
20221001_100808.jpg
20221001_100751.jpg

PCBuds

Good Luck! :eek:

Thanks Alice.

I'm not too concerned about it. I'll just lose a few days and a seed if I start over.
I'm wondering if she will end up being stunted or a poor performer now that she has been struggling?

Maybe it will just be a sight delay in her growth, and she will end up growing normally?

I didn't want to do any experimenting in the closet, but this may not count as an experiment?

I'll give her a couple of days to see what happens then decide whether or not to start over.

I'm going to put those two incandescent bulbs in the closet to warm things up.
Using the LED strips as heaters was a bad idea. She got kinda scorched.

PCBuds

The heater bulbs are in the closet now and I turned down the LED strips so that I'm getting about 8,500 lux at the sprout.

20221001_112103.jpg

I think I'm gonna start over...
I should have had all the lights set up properly from the start.

I want things to be as close to perfect as I can get in the closet.
This seedling is kind of a dud.

I'll be sure to plant the next sprouted seed a little deeper and pack it in a bit.

PCBuds

So after 2 false starts, I planted my 3rd seed.
She has cracked and I didn't want to grow a tail for fear of damaging it when I plant it.
Now I'll need at least 3 days of LITFA and wait for her to pop the surface.
The seeding starting mix is pretty good at being kinda spongy and firm so it should remove her helmut as she breaks through to the surface.
I planted it about ½ inch blow the surface.

20221002_121318.jpg
20221002_121342.jpg

I used about ½ a cup of seedling starting mix that I put in a small hole in the center of the planter.
I did that just a day ago, but I could see springtails running around on top of the new mix.
They are really mobile and kinda fun to watch.

Last edited:

aliceklar

So after 2 false starts, I planted my 3rd seed.
She has cracked and I didn't want to grow a tail for fear of damaging it when I plant it.
Now I'll need at least 3 days of LITFA and wait for her to pop the surface.
The seeding starting mix is pretty good at being kinda spongy and firm so it should remove her helmut as she breaks through to the surface.
I planted it about ½ inch blow the surface.

I used about ½ a cup of seedling starting mix that I put in a small hole in the center of the planter.
I did that just a day ago, but I could see springtails running around on top of the new mix.
They are really mobile and kinda fun to watch.
Good luck little fella! :love:

PCBuds

Good luck little fella! :love:

Thanks Alice
I don't think I need luck now. I just need to LITFA for at least 3 days. Lol

I won't be digging her up to check on her this time.

She's got everything she needs now.
PH balanced seedling starting mix, lights on at 8,500 lux, and the right temperature and humidity.

PS,.. I hope it's not a fella.
They're supposed to be Feminized Autoflower seeds. Lol

20221002_151530.jpg
20221002_151408.jpg
20221002_151604.jpg

PCBuds

My new closet plant has popped the surface.
The shell was off but was clinging to the membrane that was also stuck to the tips of the cotyledons, holding them together.

20221004_042330.jpg

I picked the shell and membrane off, and the cotyledons popped open,..

20221004_042733.jpg
20221004_043223.jpg

I saw a bunch of springtails running around and managed to snap a picture (it's kinda blurry. Those springtails are really hard to photograph.)

20221004_043427.jpg

I marked the day on my calendar and I'm expecting to harvest in about 9 weeks and 2 days, the same as the plant that I really liked from last February.

PCBuds

I don't really know what I'm going to do with these three girls??

It might be too many for one planter?

20221004_161031.jpg
20221004_161341.jpg

PCBuds

I'm just going to LITFA and give them each a light.
I've got lots of socket extensions (Lego parts.) to keep a bulb 💡 on each of them.

I figure as long as I keep my media/reservoir properly PHed and PPMed, I should be fine.

I figure a week or two before I add the reservoir.