What's new

Pc fan for vert?

Hi guys, can't find suitable muffin/floor fan here in NZ, sick of burning out oscillating fans tipped 90°. Would a 6" pc fan move enough air for bare bulb vert setup? Thinking it would but maybe not enough "wind" to help plants grow strong and sturdy..

Thoughts?

I would order a honeywell or similar but down these ways we run on 220v, don't think honeywell do a 220v...

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i would think that wouldnt be strong enough but it would all depend on your bulb wattage. worst case scenario you could always cool tube the bulb vertically and then use a normal inline fan. you will lose about 5% of your lumens, PAR etc but you can get the plants a little closer to make up for it and the room will probably run a couple degrees cooler.

Damn no can do, can't afford tube and another fan right now, not to mention I'm not fond of the idea of running two extractor fans plus airflow fan, loud enough as it is. I may just try it, bound to push more air than my last fan which seemed to do ok...

Gry

Veteran
The fan was made for cooling gear, give it a shot and try. It does not take a lot of air moving to get the effect.

St. Phatty

Hi guys, can't find suitable muffin/floor fan here in NZ, sick of burning out oscillating fans tipped 90°. Would a 6" pc fan move enough air for bare bulb vert setup? Thinking it would but maybe not enough "wind" to help plants grow strong and sturdy..

Thoughts?

I would order a honeywell or similar but down these ways we run on 220v, don't think honeywell do a 220v...

I guess the closest PC fan size would be 140 mm.

One option is to use a DC 140 mm fan, and then to power it using a PC power supply.

On ATX power supplies, the 'off-on' switch is by shorting green and black, on the big motherboard connector that is about 2 x 12 pins. I normally use a paper clip when I am ghetto rigging something using a PC power supply.

Old PC power supplies come in handy for lots of things, e.g. tank heaters.
If you can find an older AT power supply, that would normally have an on-off switch attached.

As far as the fan strength, just look for the fans that consume the most watts and where people talk about how much air it moves, and the NOISE, in the reviews.

I used 3x 80 mm fans on an inlet plenum last winter. And a centrifugal fan that died after about 15 years' service, replaced by a 120 mm noisy medium air moving PC fan.

Vendors -
Newegg.com
alltronics.com
Halted Specialties website
Wierd Stuff Warehouse

The last 3 are surplus electronic places in Silicon Valley.

The one in the link I posted is 200mm. Should move air reasonably well. Think I will give it a shot using an old pc power supply as I have a shitload of small pc fans I could run as well, could be good for circulation

Cheers for not thinking it's as terrible idea lol

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
What size lamp are we talking about?

A PC fan is only effective for a short distance, it's designed as an extraction fan, you need a circulation fan has a different design

You can see for yourself by holding your hand 2' away from each fan

It almost certainly won't work for much above 150W

Well shit, I got a 600w. I thought heat naturally rising, weak fan assisting would do ok. I had a regular oscillating fan under light, tipped on its back and locked for no oscillation that slowed waaaaay down before dying completely. Wasn't ideal but I didn't have any problems with heat stress or anything when used in conjunction with extractor fan on ceiling. Floor fans designed to be tilted 180° are too big and powerful for my need. The only small one I can find is a 4" usb powered, otherwise it's 15" 55w which goes way too hard and loud. Might have to be another one tipped over which seem to only last a grow. Last one I tried had an anti-tip cut off so wouldn't work at all