What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Parts Per Million for Dummies (US) using TSP/Gallon Teaspoon

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
The best pH meter....

719NV7rpDNL.jpg

ETERNAL FIRE FARMS

I got that meter n it broke on me after 2 uses n filled that see thru dome with clonex water when I was testing pH of airoponic cloner.. the guy on ebay refused to replace.. said I broke it.. put me off that meter after that.. maybe it genuinely was a one off bad faulty meter.. n a bad ebay seller..

Ca++

I got that meter n it broke on me after 2 uses n filled that see thru dome with clonex water when I was testing pH of airoponic cloner.. the guy on ebay refused to replace.. said I broke it.. put me off that meter after that.. maybe it genuinely was a one off bad faulty meter.. n a bad ebay seller..
If you can see the fluid in the tip, you may need to stand it in kcl. I have had you where you could see movement, and though it was fine, it should be full. This is the reference fluid, which isn't always sealed tight, but instead there is a permeable membrane.
Our meters span a few designs, so we really need to look what we have. Some for lab use have fill points to ensure the kci is fresh. You literally empty and refill them. Ours tend to have a membrane, so we stand them in kcl, and I guess some sort of osmosis goes in. Others are just sealed, while rubbish one's have no reference at all. Though that will about do for soil growers.

iu

iu

tbh I have not looked long enough to understand it. Nor found the instructions provided to be particularly useful. KCL is calcium chloride, which is a powder. Some of these contain gel not saturated fluid. I think mine perhaps contained powder, so was meant to go in clean water to hydrate it. Others in a saturated kcl fluid, which I think we can make easy enough. I'm surprised my cheap yellow even had a serviceable fill. My pricey meter had zero instruction regarding this topic at all. I just put a new £50 tip on, leading to the £3 meter purchase, and use thereof. About now I will wake up, and find my 4.01 sachets, to make something obscene. Forget 250ml, I'm making porridge. If it's indeed kcl as I expect.

ETERNAL FIRE FARMS

If you can see the fluid in the tip, you may need to stand it in kcl. I have had you where you could see movement, and though it was fine, it should be full. This is the reference fluid, which isn't always sealed tight, but instead there is a permeable membrane.
Our meters span a few designs, so we really need to look what we have. Some for lab use have fill points to ensure the kci is fresh. You literally empty and refill them. Ours tend to have a membrane, so we stand them in kcl, and I guess some sort of osmosis goes in. Others are just sealed, while rubbish one's have no reference at all. Though that will about do for soil growers.

iu

iu

tbh I have not looked long enough to understand it. Nor found the instructions provided to be particularly useful. KCL is calcium chloride, which is a powder. Some of these contain gel not saturated fluid. I think mine perhaps contained powder, so was meant to go in clean water to hydrate it. Others in a saturated kcl fluid, which I think we can make easy enough. I'm surprised my cheap yellow even had a serviceable fill. My pricey meter had zero instruction regarding this topic at all. I just put a new £50 tip on, leading to the £3 meter purchase, and use thereof. About now I will wake up, and find my 4.01 sachets, to make something obscene. Forget 250ml, I'm making porridge. If it's indeed kcl as I expect.
Lol see the air bubble after I shake it and the purple clear clonex water still in from months ago lol?? Ph is way off now also.. might av to get some pointers n guidance off u brva qs I never understood a word of all that lol!?! Not really used these before with organics but wana fine tune everything in.. thanks for Yr time tryna explain to me tho dude lol if u can guide me thru how to fix this n where to get the bits I'd be very grateful 😆🙈🤷🏻‍♂️💯💚🙏
Screenshot_20240423-025017_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240423-025004_Gallery.jpg

ETERNAL FIRE FARMS

Ahh so Yr sayin I just need to get some more 4.01 sachet buffering solution or powder yes? I already used all the sachets of different buffering powder the day I got it as I thought I needed to calibrate from new.. il have to buy some more I guess..

Ca++

Looking at that ingress, you would think it's physically broken. Like an actual hole in it. Are you saying it's still in use as an EC meter, and still hasn't washed out in months?

I suspect, if it's still in daily use, that this is gel filled. Gel that came as powder you had to hydrate. So this has soaked in, and is staying there now.
I think these are $10 so buying another might be easier than $5 on powder and rubbing your magic lamp for another wish. I myself have a bulk buy of powder, and a £50 tip to save, that is only slow not buggered. So I will try to save mine, but yours.. I'm afraid I would walk away.
I fridged my pH fluids, as the packet makes a lot. There are sites where people have tested shelf life of many brands, in terms of years. My commercial 4 is still a 4, and it's years old. My 7 drifted about 0.2 but these are 10yo bottles. Just kept in a box. I can't say how the sachets will hold up, but I'm finding out. I expect a year, at least. My 7 was expected to drift that much. It's all pretty standard stuff. I have the sachet mixes in glass though, not plastic. Just because..

ETERNAL FIRE FARMS

Looking at that ingress, you would think it's physically broken. Like an actual hole in it. Are you saying it's still in use as an EC meter, and still hasn't washed out in months?

I suspect, if it's still in daily use, that this is gel filled. Gel that came as powder you had to hydrate. So this has soaked in, and is staying there now.
I think these are $10 so buying another might be easier than $5 on powder and rubbing your magic lamp for another wish. I myself have a bulk buy of powder, and a £50 tip to save, that is only slow not buggered. So I will try to save mine, but yours.. I'm afraid I would walk away.
I fridged my pH fluids, as the packet makes a lot. There are sites where people have tested shelf life of many brands, in terms of years. My commercial 4 is still a 4, and it's years old. My 7 drifted about 0.2 but these are 10yo bottles. Just kept in a box. I can't say how the sachets will hold up, but I'm finding out. I expect a year, at least. My 7 was expected to drift that much. It's all pretty standard stuff. I have the sachet mixes in glass though, not plastic. Just because..
No I haven't used it since I noticed it filled up with the clonex water months ago when checking ph.. n straight after that it filled up and stopped workin and had wrong pH.. I just saw Yr thread and remembered I had same 7in1 meter and last round I really burnt a couple plants with too much N rich ferments so now I was hoping to use it to dial in those sensitive plants and find there preferred dose of food and keep it too that..

Last edited:

ETERNAL FIRE FARMS

Also I did let it soak for a bit in the water with the pH buffer stuff inside it like it said in instructions 🤷🏻‍♂️ then tested it in tap water and worked fine.. then soon as tested the pH of water in airocloner with clonex in water it soaked into this dome and won't come out n since then its giving wrong pH readings.. I haven't even bothered to use for ppm or ec incase it was incorrect for those now too..

I Care

@Lester Beans. I really like PH strips. It’s so easy and basically you either see what you wanna see. There no quantifying it, just yea it’s good or no it’s not.

Sucks about that meter of yours @ETERNAL FIRE FARMS, order a new one. Or two.

Idk what my meter was actin up about yesterday, I checked that same run off today, after it had sat and it came out at 6.7.

Ca++

Thinking about it, you can get new probes for these. Not every seller has them, but it's going to be cheaper than the whole meter.

I Care

Looks like it’s only a 25% difference replacing probe vs meter. If these affordable meters are in fact calibrated, if may be worth the small amount of funds to replace the whole thing.