What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overly Aggressive Whitetail Deer

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
go get hunting liscense ... think roasts and jerky .... the backstrap is damn good too...yeehaw...males in rut can do some crazy stuff .....be glad its not a moose..then you got problems lol

Thanks. I am going to go the less expensive route though. I'll probably end up making some homemade hot pepper spay. I don't want to shell out to much cash to solve this problem. Hopefully, no more deer drama will ensue....:)

Obviously protecting fawns. Order some coyote or better yet some big cat urine crystals. Lightly sprinkle it in spots forming a perimeter around your plot and route to it. They will stay away from the area for a long time. After a rain, reapply. It'll keep rabbits, etc. off your crop also. Doesn't repel, scares them off. Good luck. Deer can kill you. Check youtube. -granger

haha Yeah I wouldn't want drama with a moose in autumn. Thank God I don't have that to deal with. They are psychopath killers in Autumn. lol

go get hunting liscense ... think roasts and jerky .... the backstrap is damn good too...yeehaw...males in rut can do some crazy stuff .....be glad its not a moose..then you got problems lol

waveguide

Veteran
could be a climate thing, never met an aggro deer in the desert.. the heat usually kills us all equilaterally..

Swamp Thang

Veteran
The deer scram works different than a repellant. Its made from leftovers from the cattle industry. When a deer smells it, it invokes a fear response because they smell dead animal and think there's a predator nearby. They won't want to hang out there. Works very well. A bonus is that it also feeds your plants.

If the chemical smells like carrion, isn't there a chance that the smell might attract bears, or cougars of the four-legged variety ?

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I just had a similar experience the other day when I was out digging. I heard one get spooked and started blowing on the opposite ridge that I was on, then about 15 minutes later I heard something coming towards me, sounded like someone walking so I laid down and got still in the briars. I raised up to have a peek and I heard stomping, then seen the deer. It was solo and kept walking at me even when I stood up. It stopped and stomped again and then I stomped back and sort of charged a few feet and it ran off blowing again lol.

When I was a kid and back in my hunting years I never encountered deer to act this way, seems now days they are getting more adapted to humans and have less fear. Could be dangerous in rut season! But I worry more about the copperheads and bears in my area more then anything.

Get a cross bow. Learn where they show up (river, salt lick) have a perch set up and deliver your bolt to its skull. Ambush is the way.

Make spears and post them to your fence posts. Apply severed white tail heads after field dressing.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
the deer here are almost tame...the one this morning I could of spanked its ass as it went by...2 yr old mulie.....yeehaw..I took a few pictures...the only time deer get badass is in the RUT in my years of experience.....I like the youtube vid where the guy with doe urine gets fucked with by buck...priceless

:laughing:Good idea!!! I will be known amongst the deer as Tangie The Impaler

Get a cross bow. Learn where they show up (river, salt lick) have a perch set up and deliver your bolt to its skull. Ambush is the way.

Make spears and post them to your fence posts. Apply severed white tail heads after field dressing.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i just had the weirdest shit happen to me yesterday as well TF. as i was going to my plot i hear a turkey klucking. it was one those weird sounding klucks that u knew was not normal for a turkey to make. im surronded by vegatation and the next thing i know this turkey comes running at me full speed with her wings spread down to her side. i took off running and didnt slow down till a tree closed lined me lol the damn turkey was still there but it started making complete circles around me staying like 30-45 feet away. ive never had that happen before. the turkeys i usally encounter always run or fly away before i even get within 25 or 30 yards of them. all in all me and turkey both made it out there safely lol

uthenger

Get a slingshot, you decide what and how big/dense to fire.
Also the pepper spray and slingshot are in uthenger's backpack too, when visiting the garden.

Savage Seeds

i just had the weirdest shit happen to me yesterday as well TF. as i was going to my plot i hear a turkey klucking. it was one those weird sounding klucks that u knew was not normal for a turkey to make. im surronded by vegatation and the next thing i know this turkey comes running at me full speed with her wings spread down to her side. i took off running and didnt slow down till a tree closed lined me lol the damn turkey was still there but it started making complete circles around me staying like 30-45 feet away. ive never had that happen before. the turkeys i usally encounter always run or fly away before i even get within 25 or 30 yards of them. all in all me and turkey both made it out there safely lol

She had chicks with her some place, Ruffed Grouse or partridge as we call em round here do the same thing when they got chicks I get hassled by the same one in the same spot ever spring when I'm trapping.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I would of come out with dinner...yeehaw

Treevly

Hi growers,
At one of my grow sites lives a family of deer that is lead by a large buck deer with a full set of antlers. Last Sunday I went out to check on the patch and the buck was very aggressive. He was barking and snorting at me and trying to get me out of the forest. He came within 20 feet of me while snorting loudly. I kept throwing sticks at him and growling loud and he would run off, but then he would come back when he regained his confidence. I finally had to charge him and run full speed at him to get him and his mates to leave. The females actually startled me the most because they kept getting closer and peeking at me from the tall grass. They were trying to intimidate me.

These deer have overly aggressive behavior with foot stomping, barks, and snorts. Maybe there was bambi close.

I really hope this doesn't evolve into me having to stab a deer to death....:)

The original post was on 22 May. Deer have young in the herd then. It is not a good time to push them. If it had been moose, you probably would have had wounds or worse.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
The deer scram works different than a repellant. Its made from leftovers from the cattle industry. When a deer smells it, it invokes a fear response because they smell dead animal and think there's a predator nearby. They won't want to hang out there. Works very well. A bonus is that it also feeds your plants.

Slaughter house waste sure does work as a repellent for most ungulates, especially cattle. In the Third World country where I reside at the moment, armed cowboys drive herds of cattle to graze on peoples' crops, while the cowboys also help themselves to crop harvests, which they often cook on site, and devour with impunity.

By hiding small stashes of decaying cattle blood and bones, a very severe panic response is triggered in the cows, causing them to stampede away from the threat despite all efforts by their chaperone cowboy, to make the cattle stick around to destroy crops.

From a hidden vantage point, I have on occasion thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle of utter pandemonium that ensues among such invading cattle herds, when they get a whiff of that cow blood, and those cow bones. I am certain that the same flight response would be triggered in deer, if they too were confronted by the smell of death.

Latest posts

Latest posts