What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor seed Recommendation requested

blondie

I’m looking for a seed recommendation but have some different requirements than most of the outdoor strain lists.

Im going to have two or three five gallon pots in my backyard mixed in with tomatoes, peppers, etc. I need a fairly short, squatty, low or no odor plant. Zone 6. Can’t be a long flowering sativa. Yield does not need to be high. Smoke needs to be strong though. Also needs to be available feminized from a US based seed bank. There is a dizzying array of seeds available most with little or no info on what they are. I’m hoping someone here can recommend something for the above outlined requirements. Thanks....

jjonahjameson

Smell will always be a small issue, but a lot depends on what you've got around you. Do you have space and privacy? Then you probably won't have much smell issue to worry about. You're not growing a mega-op, so....

I'd recommend looking at Brother'sGrimm stuff for fast flowering (most in the range of 56-63 days) and reasonably potent. G13x Genius comes in fem form, and that packs a punch. So does the Killer Queen, disorientingly pleasant. Fragrance can be skunky or fruity, but that's generally normal in nature, so it's almost passed off as nothing, living on the periphery of people paying attention. It's not usually super-pronounced.
And if you're worried just add some marigolds, lavender, or some other fragrant flowering plants that also aid in bug control.

Bros.Grimm has a lot of variety and a history with a lot of winners (C99, Apollo 11, Apollo 13, etc., ) and it's reasonably priced and sourced easily in the US. Lots of different things to choose from. Got some old-school genetics mixed in and that's always a plus. Healthy plants, not a ton of variation, show sex early if you have non-feminized, grow manageably and produce well.

I've grown a lot of their stuff over the years, and I recommend it. Just my .02

Good luck, happy growing, stay safe and healthy. :)

'Boogieman'

I'm trying bodhi's 88g13hp crosses this year after reading about strong potency, fast finish, and decent mold resistance for outdoors.

kritios

When I was looking for a low-odor I came up with both Cinderella 99 and Northern Lights #5. Both of them grow not-too-tall also and aren't too fussy. You can keep them bushier with some strategic pruning: cut the tops back during veg to encourage more lateral growth.

Both also have relatively short 8-9 week flowering periods.I'd bet one of the seed vendors here has them feminized.

In my experience stuff in the purps family is pretty low odor. I had a GDP/Purple Mayhem hybrid last year that had a light floral/berry odor and was very mold resistant. Stayed under 4 feet in a 10 gallon without topping as well. I've never used them, but it looks like Humboldt CSI has a decent selection of femmed mendo purps crosses.

blondie

Good stuff so far. Thanks to all. My neighbors are almost on top of me. A bit of smell the wind blows away isn’t that bad though. I have some fast flowering mother female Malawi x Malawi standard male I may try a seed. Hoping the fast flowering mother trait is in the seeds. Then pick up one of these or more recommendations. I found another US seed bank I never heard of. Dc seed exchange. Keep those recommendations coming..

therevverend

Veteran
I'd go for a squat strong Indica, something like Purple Urkle or it's hybrids, from CSI Humboldt. They have great feminized stuff. The caveat being that if you're in a wet area with lots of rain late September/early October you'll probably get molded out. They don't have the traditional skunky reek that fills the neighborhood. More of a fruity rank hashy smell that's not as obvious.

Durango OG from La Plata is another strong as fuck super frosty hashplant with a squat no branching type stature. Without a strong skunk smell. Not sure if they do feminized. Northern light hybrids are another good one for low smell.

blondie

Just got my beans today. Dc seed exchange was lightning fast and easy. Forget euro or Canada banks. Picked up Cinderella xx fem from brothers Grimm and copper orgi fem Briscos bargain beans.

Briscos was so cheap I couldn’t resist. Not sure I’ll put that outside but I’ll pop fall indoor grow.

A few extra Brisco beans is all for freebies. A bit disappointing but not really. Got what I wanted cheap easy and quick.

Thinking Cinderella xx should be low odor and short and quick.

jjonahjameson

Cinderella, like a lot of other Bros. Grimm stuff, should also be very trainable. Stems are thick enough to support, but also amenable enough to train if needed.
Best of luck! If you can, document the run at one point?

Cheers. :)

blondie

I ended up popping 4 beans, put outside in 5 gallon black grow bags. My soil mix of various coast of Maine soils and espoma Nutes. I think I was a little low on K so this week added some in. Nothing really noteworthy. My plants grew just fine without me fucking with them. I had to water I think once. I trimmed a few Larfy lower buds. I had to pick up after some strong winds blew two over. Other than this so far no issues.

I think the two fatter looking ones are Grimm and the lankier smaller are Briscos. I recall Briscos were a longer flowering. Got screwed up with tags along the way sadly.

This is roughly week 4 of flower. I ended up changing shit around due to Wuhan Flu. My neighbors are far far away, which is good. These things are much larger than I wanted originally and do have some scent to them.

Edit: image 1,4 I think is Briscos. Image 2,3,5 are Grimm.

Attachments

• B7009F0E-E3D8-4488-A6D9-C6A477DFF28F.jpg
    B7009F0E-E3D8-4488-A6D9-C6A477DFF28F.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 37
    73.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3C3E4350-C212-486F-A41F-6741B01C3CC4.jpg
    3C3E4350-C212-486F-A41F-6741B01C3CC4.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2051AFBE-B550-4B38-B262-5A37755FA1EB.jpg
    2051AFBE-B550-4B38-B262-5A37755FA1EB.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 31
  • EC8A1D1C-CC09-4E3C-85F7-E779E45B06EE.jpg
    EC8A1D1C-CC09-4E3C-85F7-E779E45B06EE.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 29

blondie

I may as well keep updating here. Things are growing along nicely. The K I gave these fine ladies does not appear to have kicked in yet. Other than this.. looking good.

The Cinderella xx plants (brothers Grimm) are excellent. Good amount of buds and fattening up nicely. They look same phenotype but they smell different. One is on the skunky side and the other is very fruity smell. I can’t wait to harvest these fine ladies.

The Briscos copper orgi are doing well, but the buds are not as plentiful nor fat. I’m hoping they are just slower maturing and will fatten. They appear and smell to be same phenotype.

Overall quite happy. I’ve decided I need a good amount more of K in the future. I used tomato tone by espoma and then added their potash (0 0 60) at close to labeled amounts. Looks like I need to double or triple. I was worried I would raise the ph up to much so went light.

Anyone agree the yellow leaves look like lack of K? I just don’t think this is fall natural yellowing. Leaves are necrotic.

The one thing about outdoors is I’m not sure when flowering began. In the growroom that is not an issue. I’m going to guess this is week five. I recall seeing some hairs early August. Anyone have a guess how far along these lovelies are?

Edit: image 1 is Grimm 2 is Briscos 3 Grimm 4 Briscos 5 likely Grimm .
Three is oh so nice of a plant but you can see the yellow.

Attachments

• 41AEF571-1187-4D9B-9046-FEF5F09F06B0.jpg
    41AEF571-1187-4D9B-9046-FEF5F09F06B0.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 8F396733-8A69-42E2-BD1B-606DAA27B2FA.jpg
    8F396733-8A69-42E2-BD1B-606DAA27B2FA.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 26
  • AC16373D-8EDC-4D1C-84CD-73BDC677D02E.jpg
    AC16373D-8EDC-4D1C-84CD-73BDC677D02E.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 26
  • D2B7268A-1518-438D-9FDC-5E0CF1F0C0CF.jpg
    D2B7268A-1518-438D-9FDC-5E0CF1F0C0CF.jpg