What's new

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Old Uncle Ben

I will stop hehe..one last thing kasturi mango is the best fruit I ever tasted

Have you eaten a Zill creation? Unbelievable. About 6 weeks ago I planted a new release that's supposed to be really great - M-4. Late, in the coconut flavored family.https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/zill-m-4

Pickering is a small tidy tree that is a heavy producer of medium size fruit, sweet, no fiber, coconut. Very productive, disease free.

Zill's Pineapple Pleasure is another top tier mango. Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbet, Juicy Peach, Fruit Punch, Cotton Candy, Sweet Tart......Zill mangos.

TA, sells budwood, boxes of fruit, grafted trees in 1 and 3 gal. pots. https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

Pineapple Pleasure:

PineapplePleasureJuly26.jpg

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

do u feed your citrus year round? ... i have 1/2 dozen small trees, in pots which i take in to my greenhouse room in late fall, and bring back outside in late spring... mine are small, in 1, 2, 3 gallon pots... meyer lemon,limes, etc

Like I said I hit them in Feb., 8-9 month pretty much does it for the year. I might hit them, selectively, again lightly like in Oct. if they look like they could use it.

Meyer is a good one. I had a bumper crop on an older 5' X 6' tree this year, 235! Big and juicy. I freeze the juice in ice trays/baggies and zest for baking. Zest is RICH in fresh oil. Am picking the hell outta key and persian limes. Meyer's are just beginning to turn. It's Margaritaville!

MeyerJan3.jpg MeyersFeb15.jpg

Last edited:

Brother Nature

The osmocote girl re still coming along nicely...

This one was the organic soil mix that had osmocote top coated around the beginning of flower.

full

Now the girl that has had osmocote in her mix since the beginning of veg, was a heavy application.

full

close up...

full

Old Uncle Ben

This one was the organic soil mix that had osmocote top coated around the beginning of flower.

full

Now the girl that has had osmocote in her mix since the beginning of veg, was a heavy application.

full

close up...

full

Looking healthy.

After an overnight soaking of the seeds in a glass of water I sow directly into tall 20 oz Styro Cups and scratch in a small amount (1/2 tsp.) on top lightly working it in with a fork. I apply Osmocote when I upcan to my final 2-4 gal. pots which finishes out fine with minor tweeks if my faves need it.

Nov 30.jpg

Makes for a fine root mass. It's roots that matter.

Actually, this is a pot bound condition. I should have upcanned them a week or so before this point but "life" got in the way. (Had bigger fish to fry). :)

Upcanned New BatchFeb28.jpg

Last edited:

islandpreservation

Looking healthy.

After an overnight soaking of the seeds in a glass of water I sow directly into tall 20 oz Styro Cups and scratch in a small amount (1/2 tsp.) on top lightly working it in with a fork. I apply Osmocote when I upcan to my final 2-4 gal. pots which finishes out fine with minor tweeks if my faves need it.

View attachment 18919161

Makes for a fine root mass. It's roots that matter.

Actually, this is a pot bound condition. I should have upcanned them a week or so before this point but "life" got in the way. (Had bigger fish to fry). :)

View attachment 18919162
Nice roots man!

islandpreservation

Have you eaten a Zill creation? Unbelievable. About 6 weeks ago I planted a new release that's supposed to be really great - M-4. Late, in the coconut flavored family.https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/zill-m-4

Pickering is a small tidy tree that is a heavy producer of medium size fruit, sweet, no fiber, coconut. Very productive, disease free.

Zill's Pineapple Pleasure is another top tier mango. Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Orange Sherbet, Juicy Peach, Fruit Punch, Cotton Candy, Sweet Tart......Zill mangos.

TA, sells budwood, boxes of fruit, grafted trees in 1 and 3 gal. pots. https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

Pineapple Pleasure:

View attachment 18918071

Uncle Ben
no man have not got to eat those luxury zill mangoes!. I have a zill suriname cherry I love. We don't get many new grafted varities out here because of plant restricition I found it interesting he bred those by doing leaf smells to distingiush which seedlings inherited traits. sounds familiar I would try grow a seedling of one of the polyembyonic ones just to give it a go!. Love when i get coco notes in mango. That kasturi I mentioned is a mango relative. Tons of fiber but you pop the whole thing in your mouth and suck on it. It tastes like passion fruit mango ice cream with waves of a mango taste you would only find in heaven. Unreal.. Send you some seeds sometime if you want.

Durian is easy to graft. Probably the easiest
no man have not got to eat those luxury zill mangoes!. I have a zill suriname cherry I love. We don't get many new grafted varities out here because of plant restricition I found it interesting he bred those by doing leaf smells to distingiush which seedlings inherited traits. sounds familiar I would try grow a seedling of one of the polyembyonic ones just to give it a go!. Love when i get coco notes in mango. That kasturi I mentioned is a mango relative. Tons of fiber but you pop the whole thing in your mouth and suck on it. It tastes like passion fruit mango ice cream with waves of a mango taste you would only find in heaven. Unreal.. Send you some seeds sometime if you want.

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks for the kind offer.

full

full

close up...

full
do you think the heavy application matters if it's slow release? also, how much is the difference between regular application and the heavy ones?

Brother Nature

I don’t think there’d be much of a difference, if anything that plant looks healthier than the others. For the top coating I just took a small handful and dropped it in the pot. The heavy application was 120g mixed into 50l of organic and amended soil. The rest I measured by a small handful or big handful, I have big hands if that helps measurements… I’ve been growing long enough to eyeball certain things, so I don’t really do measurements or quantify them that well. I don’t even mark the days I flip the girls to flower unless I’ve never run a strain before.

Epicotyl, typically cleft. I get great success with side veneer as well. We cut them at roughly 6 weeks+ of age. 1 year plants do fine but younger rootstocks are more vigorous. We bag each graft for the first few weeks then I gradually allow airflow until they push. I've top worked several trees in the ground and they do best. We get nearly 90% success rate. Things like mango, jackfruit and chempedak are much more difficult

islandpreservation

Epicotyl, typically cleft. I get great success with side veneer as well. We cut them at roughly 6 weeks+ of age. 1 year plants do fine but younger rootstocks are more vigorous. We bag each graft for the first few weeks then I gradually allow airflow until they push. I've top worked several trees in the ground and they do best. We get nearly 90% success rate. Things like mango, jackfruit and chempedak are much more difficult
Nice sounds like a similiar method i do. Havent tried top working that sounds smart.
I always have mildew form in bag and never get above 50% success. Thanks for tips.
Trying chempedek onto cheena stock heard good things

420empire

Veteran
Could u get edible durian growm from seed ?😉

I am in the cold North, and highly addicted to durian. I you like that fruit u know what I mean ❤❤🐒
These babies comes from whole durian from Malaysia and Thailand, think the cultivar is Mon Thong, I will do bonsai out of them. Artificial light in Winther then greenhouse in the spring summer and autum.
Wish me Luck

Attachments

• 20230918_183147.jpg
    20230918_183147.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

I am in the cold North, and highly addicted to durian. I you like that fruit u know what I mean ❤❤🐒
These babies comes from whole durian from Malaysia and Thailand, think the cultivar is Mon Thong, I will do bonsai out of them. Artificial light in Winther then greenhouse in the spring summer and autum.
Wish me Luck

Lots of durian growers here. Also have a Buy/Sale dept. You could get durian wood there. https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php

islandpreservation

Wish me Luck
Ive never heqrd of durian fruiting anywhere but humid tropics. I understand your passion though. It is amazing