What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

orient express

Luiggi

Addingly, one of the branches was pointing down (early sample) I think because of It weighing quite a bit. Seems its going to be a good Producer.

goingrey

Hi all,

Hope you all are doing well.

This year I took the chance of growing an Orient express. I am not sure if the smell of It but is some kind of earthy smell but nothing I can compare with other strains or smells.

I think It has been in flowering for the last 6 to 7 weeks but I am not sure how long more It might need till being harvested. In my opinion It is about two to three weeks to finish, but not sure on how yo harvest this strains. Not sure if It is more china or Vietnam but would say It is un the middle. Not too wide not too lanki. As said, the smell is not something I am able to describe but probably earth and ferments.

Here some pictures from the begining of september.
View attachment 18763444 View attachment 18763445 View attachment 18763446

This os how they look 4 days ago

View attachment 18763447 View attachment 18763448 View attachment 18763449 View attachment 18763450

And here some early sampling I took.
View attachment 18763451

I would like to add that this is not the first time I Grow a plant but I have always tought I dont usually wait enough for them and take them too early (un a normal harvest I would wait one to two weeks more) and this year I would like to know when It is ready. Have a microscope but I never got to see any cloudy trich but amber and transparente, so not able to harvest bases on that. Would you say It is more than two weeks to go?

Thanks in advance
Very hard for us to say how much longer if you're posting pics from the beginning of September. 8-10 weeks / early October is what ACE says so maybe in a couple of weeks will be good.

Never seen cloudy trichs? That's strange. Or maybe not, it is inline with not waiting long enough. Look at the buds don't let amber on some leaves fool you.

Luiggi

Very hard for us to say how much longer if you're posting pics from the beginning of September. 8-10 weeks / early October is what ACE says so maybe in a couple of weeks will be good.

Never seen cloudy trichs? That's strange. Or maybe not, it is inline with not waiting long enough. Look at the buds don't let amber on some leaves fool you.
Probably I haven't explined myself well. What I meant is that there are pics from begining of september and later un the post I hace added the ones I took 4 days ago. The pics from early september is to show they were about two weeks into flowering by that time.

Regarding trichs, I wasnt able to see them in buds in past grows. It might have to do with me not waiting enough to harvest. Always facing the fear of SB jumping on my yard and taking the plants. Never before I got to harvest Nepal Jam but did harvest others and never got to see milky trichs at buds. Some times found some golden ones and rest of them seemed transparent. Probably not waiting enough. This year I wasnt to wait till they are ready.

Last edited:

goingrey

Probably I haven't explined myself well. What I meant is that there are pics from begining of september and later un the post I hace added the ones I took 4 days ago. The pics from early september is to show they were about two weeks into flowering by that time.

Regarding trichs, I wasnt able to see them in buds in past grows. It might have to do with me not waiting enough to harvest. Always facing the fear of SB jumping on my yard and taking the plants. Never before I got to harvest Nepal Jam but did harvest others and never got to see milky trichs at buds. Some times found some golden ones and rest of them seemed transparent. Probably not waiting enough. This year I wasnt to wait till they are ready.
Oh sorry missed the 4 days ago text.

Well, they weren't done then yet. :D

With the milky trichs maybe you're expecting them to be more milky than they actually become? It also depends on the light a little bit.

Aim for something like this:
cannabis-trichomes-end-of-harvest-window-sm.jpg

From:https://www.growweedeasy.com/make-buds-sparkle-with-more-trichomes

Luiggi

Yes @goingrey, probably I was not waiting enough plus I was specting them to be a bit cloudier. In addition I am not sure I have seen so dark trichomes as the golden that appear in the picture. For me, some of the trich in your image I would have taken them as if they were transparent.
Actually I took a look today to the trichs and some of them are getting cloudy in a Nepal Jam I am growing but none amber. Quite clear un this orient express yet. Anyway not sure I can distinguish well within transparent and cloudy. But yea, would say some look cloudier in Nepal.

I also took some pics for updating.

IMG_20221003_170212.jpg

IMG_20221003_170218.jpg
IMG_20221003_170223.jpg
IMG_20221003_170230.jpg
IMG_20221003_170238.jpg

I think still one week to two weeks till done, but Will be checking how trich evolve.

Nannymouse

420giveaway
@dubi , so the OE has been around for quite some time. You have tried many crosses with her, by this time, hopefully.

So, do you have advise/generalizations on types of crosses work best or work least?

Also, do you have specific crosses that you liked, that are not in the catalog?

At what height do you decide to put it into flower? Is this dependent on which side of the family that the particular plant resembles?

Any advice on scrogging these to nicely fill a 2 x 4 foot tent, @ 6 feet tall? Pot sizes, trimming and/or bondage?

I know, lots of questions. Maybe there is a grow journal that fits the questions.

Luiggi

Hi all,

Came just to update and to show a couple of details that might be interesting.

Here is OE going forward (pics from yesterday)
IMG_20221005_162628.jpg

IMG_20221005_162640.jpg
img_20221005_162708-jpg.18765999

IMG_20221005_162703.jpg
IMG_20221005_162657.jpg

So, yesterday after taking the pictures I was checking them for updating on here. If you realise, there is a canterpilar un the first and last picture so today I went to debug manually. Found three of them but was able to kill two because the other went Lost inside the buds (but I cut It into a half) tomorrow I Will inspect It again. Past years I used BT un previous stages but this year I didn't because I think even when used at the begining It being a flavour to final product. Does any of you feel It like that?

In addition, while inspecting, I found there are some branches which show something strange and they seemed quite mature (more than others) and I Saw It:
IMG_20221006_164118.jpg

IMG_20221006_164124.jpg

It seems the branch was only using the inside of the branch to hung. The covering parte is gone. Anybody has found It at their plants? Probably that is why they are showing so mature.

IMG_20221006_164135.jpg

@Nannymouse , probably I am not the best to tell you and probably dubi Will answer It better but regarding scrogging It, I think is a good plant for It. Branches are full of flowers and seems to react well to prune because of how vigorous It looks like. Buds are Big and thick and branches are full of flowers. Hope It helps. Both the strains I am growing this year (orient express and Nepal Jam) seem to be quite vigorous. Nepal Jam seems to be lower yelding than OE but the smell does worth It.

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_162708.jpg
    IMG_20221005_162708.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 836
Last edited:

Luiggi

Hi all, spetially @goingrey.

I have been checking the trichs during last week and this weekend and they doesnt seem getting amber. I would say all of them are still clear transparent. On your experience (of you all), how long would you say does it usually take them to get amber after flowers seem to be mature?

Thanks un advance.

Luiggi

goingrey

Hi all, spetially @goingrey.

I have been checking the trichs during last week and this weekend and they doesnt seem getting amber. I would say all of them are still clear transparent. On your experience (of you all), how long would you say does it usually take them to get amber after flowers seem to be mature?

Thanks un advance.

Luiggi
Well usually not too long after the buds seem to be mature. Filled out bracts, no white pistils...

The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day there last Wednesday but what kind of temperatures are you experiencing? If it gets cold the plant slows down a lot. Then it might be better to just harvest.

Luiggi

Temps here are not so bad yet. Most days is about 25°C to 30°C during daytime and between 15°C an 18°C at night. Not sure but in Orient Express I would say there are some trichs getting cloudy but seems, by external appearance, It just got as ready as Nepal Jam was when harvesting the first batch. However, Nepal Jam seems to have all the glands transparent.

Now a small update on the status of the Orient Express. I would say this is ready for a first batch and Will keep half of It to harvest based on trichs.

IMG_20221010_164404_1.jpg
IMG_20221010_164349.jpg

IMG_20221010_171305.jpg

Luiggi

Hi all,

Back again just for a little update. Hope my grammar gets better today with 2no smartphone grammar checker (got access to a computer).

Finally I have finished harvesting the Orient Express. It was two days ago because of some buds showing what might be spots prone to botritis (removed as much as I found).

First I have to say is that trichomes were just starting to get amber. I would say about 5 to 10 percent of the trichomes were kind of ambering.

As said, it had some small spots of what might be the beginning of botritis so decided to take them.

I found that it smells less than it did smell when I did first batch harvest.

I will try to write an smoke report but I don't think I am capable of fulfilling all fields. I have already smoked about 8 joints but need longer to complete the smoke report.

Look : Not really full of resin compared to the Nepal Jam but not bad. to be completed

Smell : To be completed

Taste:
Some hints of Diesel. I am not really prone to smoke diesel strains but it has diesel hints so does not dislike me a lot.To be completed.

Smoke: Not so strong. I think has to be with phenotype but seems it is quite cbd - thc balanced. I am not a big smoker so normally I get high with half a joint. More than that usually makes me feel anxiety. In this case I am able to smoke a whole joint (0.3~0.4 or so) and not feeling like I am high and not even smoking two in a row (one after the other) made me feel anxious.

My overall would be that is a really good pheno which does not make me too high and so I like it. I would prefer some other flavour than diesel taste it has (Probably I am being a bit "pejiguero") but the overall is quite good. Probably what likes me the most is its soft high.

Will try to complete it after some more joints. And will add the images in a few minutes.

IMG_20221020_163115.jpg
IMG_20221020_163106.jpg
IMG_20221020_163046.jpg
IMG_20221020_163053.jpg

Last edited:

Cactus Squatter

Hi all,

Back again just for a little update. Hope my grammar gets better today with 2no smartphone grammar checker (got access to a computer).

Finally I have finished harvesting the Orient Express. It was two days ago because of some buds showing what might be spots prone to botritis (removed as much as I found).

First I have to say is that trichomes were just starting to get amber. I would say about 5 to 10 percent of the trichomes were kind of ambering.

As said, it had some small spots of what might be the beginning of botritis so decided to take them.

I found that it smells less than it did smell when I did first batch harvest.

I will try to write an smoke report but I don't think I am capable of fulfilling all fields. I have already smoked about 8 joints but need longer to complete the smoke report.

Look : Not really full of resin compared to the Nepal Jam but not bad. to be completed

Smell : To be completed

Taste:
Some hints of Diesel. I am not really prone to smoke diesel strains but it has diesel hints so does not dislike me a lot.To be completed.

Smoke: Not so strong. I think has to be with phenotype but seems it is quite cbd - thc balanced. I am not a big smoker so normally I get high with half a joint. More than that usually makes me feel anxiety. In this case I am able to smoke a whole joint (0.3~0.4 or so) and not feeling like I am high and not even smoking two in a row (one after the other) made me feel anxious.

My overall would be that is a really good pheno which does not make me too high and so I like it. I would prefer some other flavour than diesel taste it has (Probably I am being a bit "pejiguero") but the overall is quite good. Probably what likes me the most is its soft high.

Will try to complete it after some more joints. And will add the images in a few minutes.

View attachment 18774414 View attachment 18774415 View attachment 18774416 View attachment 18774417
Your smoke description sounds a lot like the larger pheno I had last run. Same kind of effect and I also feel was definitely a CBD leaning plant. I have found if I smoke too much of that pheno I get a slight headache but if I smoke smaller amounts, while not feeling high, I don’t feel my wrist and elbow joints aching as much.
My shorter plant however you feel very quickly with a deep relaxation and calming effect. Very different feeling and much stronger smelling pheno.

marijuaman

Friends, I am growing this Orient express and the smell is sharp mandarine peel with earthy notes. A true delight. Anyone had something similar?

View attachment 18798482
That looks awesome. Mine developed a straight up dried tangerine peel smell after a few months cure. It’s smells so close to the real thing i couldn’t believe it! Also carries through to the flavor when I vape it along with some dark earthy spice

sativaman514

That looks awesome. Mine developed a straight up dried tangerine peel smell after a few months cure. It’s smells so close to the real thing i couldn’t believe it! Also carries through to the flavor when I vape it along with some dark earthy spic
Seems like the Black Viet pheno with narrow leaves can be quite fruity. I've been hoping for long for a sharp orange-tangerine smelling-tasting plant. Very pleased to read yours had the taste.

StrongTree

OE progressing very nicely....the resins are productive as they have been since flowering began....they are tacky and sticky on the finger....the odor is really interesting, it smells really close to chopped fresh parsley....not cilantro... but like flat leaved parsley....perhaps a OE tabbouleh salad will be on the menu...flowers are nicely composed in structure and showing a nice light green coloration....i like the level of sativa expression in this one... a low thin branch was snapped last week...so i removed ..dried and sampled... a few very immature but oily flower clusters....very nice smooth grassy flavor.... effect had me thinking "daytime sativa"
btw @-OSAKA CASIO- soil is in 7 gallon pots.....lighting is CMH and LED combined

IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG