What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

tynody

Oh alrighty. I guess ill just add some more to my mix since I MUST have fudged my math up. I think I used only a couple cups of the stuff in like 30 or 40 gallons of total mix (i can't remember exactly but its near the top of a 50 gallon trash barrel) I'm pretty sure I read it as teaspoons and not tablespoons and messed up my math.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just so you know, runoff is an inaccurate way to measure soil pH. You should do some research but briefly, the media must be mixed with pH neutral water and several readings taken over time.

intotheunknown

Veteran
2 tbs (tablespoons) per gallon of dolomite is generally the consensus on application rates.

Look into Basalt, and or oystershell instead. Basalt has a more balanced ratio of calcium/magnesium. Since I quit using dolomite, I see far better results from the 2.

B

Baked Alaskan

I've used wood ashes in my compost and soil mix to help with ph instead of lime. Seems to work well.

non

Veteran
can i use chopped up old stems as a part of mulch? they don't rob N or anything?

bigshrimp

Veteran
non - You can use them, i would mix them with something else like straw or leaves though. Cannabis waste tends to get pretty slimy on its own when decomposing. If you are worried about Nitrogen loss you can just add a sprinkle of whatever N amendment you have laying around.

Sodium Sunburn

Hey guys,

Not really a beginner, however I have a questions regarding re-using soils.

I have about 10 cu/ft of soil that I would like to reuse, I am pretty sure that it is depleted, the last run in the soil was a bit lack-luster compared to the run before it with this soil. The soil smells very healthy and earthy and is dark black.

Here are my plans:

Soil:
-5 cu/ft Nutrient depleted Soil
-2 cu/ft Peat moss (Lighten the mix a little, soil seems a bit heavy)
-2 cu/ft Growstone Aerator
-1 cu/ft EWC

Additives:
-2 LB Crab Meal
-1 LB Rock Phosphate
-2 LB Alfalfa
-2 LB Kelp Meal
-0.5 LB Lime
-3 Cups Cottonseed Meal
-3 Cups Excelerite

Mainly I want to get the soil to be healthy again and I will be feeding teas (Guano/EWC) through out the life of the plant (probably about 14 weeks TOTAL). I want the cottonseed meal in there to release gradually as I have seen so premature yellowing during flowering.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a questions regarding re-using soils. I have about 10 cu/ft of soil that I would like to reuse

RECIPE #4
Three Little Birds Method
40 gallons used soil
4 cups alfalfa meal
4 cups bone meal
4 cups kelp meal
4 cups powdered dolomite lime
30 pound bag of earthworm castings . . .
That’s the basic recipe . . .
However we also like to use
4 cups of Greensand
4 cups of Rock Phosphate
4 cups of diatomaceous earth

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Short:
When you recycle soil and leave some of the broken up roots in there, what do the roots break down into as they get consumed by microbes as the mix is "cooking".

Long:
I have a recycled mix I amended with a couple things and then I wet with Lacto serum and water 20:1 ratio I believe and that cooked for almost 2 months in 5 gallon buckets. I didnt use it all this run during transplant to final containers, had about 3 gallons left and just added about 1.5-2 gallons of used soil to the bucket and broke the root balls down into small pieces and shook out the main thick root ball in the center of each pot and discarded that. I would think leaving the finer roots broken up in the mix should be beneficial but wondering what they turn into after being broken down? Carbs or nitrogen? P or K?

This is going to end up sitting in the 5 gallon bucket until next round so almost 3 more months. Im going to wet it with a little more Lacto B soon when it needs to be remoistened.

Hitman24

I need a couple of advices from mr BURN1

I need a couple of advices from mr BURN1

Hi guys, i'm planning to start growing some good organic weed, and since i found this thread it's been a continuous discovery for me and i've to thank you all for your knowledge sharing.

I go strait to the point, i live in italy and here is non so easy to find all the amendments and the organic "food" that i found in burnone recipes.
I was looking around the web to find some companies that ship products from USA to europe but by now i haven't been much lucky.

Actually i've some plants in outdoor and i'd like to try feeding them with teas, maybe just a flowering tea as it's time for flowering very soon. For me is easy to find products from guanokalong:
http://www.guanokalong.nl/ take a look

there's a flowering bat guano powdered that has ratios 2-15-2
there's seaweed meal powdered and much more stuff.

For worm castings and molasses i've no problems in finding them and my question is if i can use guanokalong products (and which one in particular please!) instead of those you call "mexican guano" and "hi P guano"?

The hi P guano is that 2-15-2 but is nearly impossible to find mexican guano.

As for potassium source is ok to use seaweed meal powdered?
Is difficult to find kelp meal

By now i'll be glad to know what to do for the tea. In autumn i want to start an indoor grow using LC's recipe and try different food recipes in order to find out which one works best for a strain and then try that strain and the most usefull mix in outdoor nex year to grow some trees :biggrin:

Thank you guys for the help

Hitman24

I've another question.
What matters if i can't areate my tea? is it usable the same as a fertilizer? For the outdoor i store water in a 50 gal tank and i give 20 gal of water every time. In my backyard there are no plugs where to plug any airpump so is not possible to areate tea. The only thing i could do is to stir it a few times before i feed the plants, or make a concentrate of the 20 gal tea in a 5 gal bucket where i could areate it and then mix it whit the rest of the necessary water in the tank.
What am i supposed to do guys?
Thanks
Peace

Hitman24

Hi everyone,hope someone of the organic masters in this thread will come up to check my posts soon or later.
I'm keeping on reading this thread (now i'm at page 52, reading every single post and wanna get straight to te end of it).
By now i've seen that all advices were referred for indoor growing.
As for outdoor, how many gallons of soil mix #1 with food recipe #1 should be used for each plant? considering a period from early may till mid october (i'll start seedlings at the beginning of april or maybe mid march and then transplant them in outdoor at the beginning of may)
Thanks guys

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi everyone,hope someone of the organic masters in this thread will come up to check my posts soon or later.
I'm keeping on reading this thread (now i'm at page 52, reading every single post and wanna get straight to te end of it).
By now i've seen that all advices were referred for indoor growing.
As for outdoor, how many gallons of soil mix #1 with food recipe #1 should be used for each plant? considering a period from early may till mid october (i'll start seedlings at the beginning of april or maybe mid march and then transplant them in outdoor at the beginning of may)
Thanks guys

Dude, you're doing something that there is no set standard for. The only page you need to read is the first one. Make your best guess, give it a try and most of all BE PATIENT.
Burn1

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Per 7.5gal
2-3cups nutritional amendments
2-4cups trace minerals
1-2cups liming agent

1/3 compost
1/3 aeration
1/3 coco/leaf mold/alaskan hummus/peat