What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic soil and CO2

Three Berries

I would consider anything under 1000 to be normal indoor CO2 levels unless the windows are open or the wind is howling out. The more mammals, cooking with gas or tightly sealed house the higher it is.

St. Phatty

Nobody has yet mentioned that organic soil produces co2. So depending on the volume of soil in your containers versus the size of your grow space and plant numbers, you possibly already have more than enough co2.

Compost was mentioned, and compost is a component of a good organic soil mix.

Compost is a huge producer of CO2.

i.e. the Bacteria in the compost = Trillions of little animals all breathing in Oxygen, Exhaling (in a single cell sort of way) CO2.

The one time I had a chance to do hot compost in a semi-lab setting, 12 cubic yards was reduced to 2 cubic yards. The other 10 cubic yards was all turned into CO2.

The guy teaching it was afraid to make a public statement about CO2 production, because if the county or state knew how much CO2 his facility produces, it would be MASSIVE paperwork - at best. They take in 3500 truckloads of yard waste a day, about 1 ton each semi-dry weight.

So 2900 tons a day of their feed-stock combines with oxygen ... how much CO2 is produced ... depends on the chemistry. But it's MORE than 2900 tons a day.

If I was him and got called in front of some CO2 board, I would say that the only alternative for disposal is burning it, in which case all 3500 tons would be combined with oxygen and there would be even more CO2.

Of course they could bury it all, and then the rate of CO2 production slows down a lot.

Three Berries

Slownickel has a micronized Caco3 that is absorbed through leaf or root. The Co3 is then converted to Co2 inside the plant.
Do you think the plant itself producing CO2 internally lessens the need or effectiveness of the photosynthesis in the leaf? The plant still needs some energy source to convert the CO2 to sugar.

jackspratt61

Do you think the plant itself producing CO2 internally lessens the need or effectiveness of the photosynthesis in the leaf? The plant still needs some energy source to convert the CO2 to sugar.
I don't know. Reports are coming back positive and the increased carbonate is allowing for better drybacks and higher ec. Really pushing the plant in low cec mixes.

Sasult

I don't use it. Outside is only 300-400 ppm normally.
Effect-CO2-on-photosynthesis-in-cannabis-ed-rosenthal.jpg

My 4x30 gal soil beds create enough CO2 to keep the room around 600-800ppm.
So you need to be pushing 1500+ par just to keep up with the co2 from the dirt. Don't forget the soil microbes need to keep up or the plant will show deficiencies.
It's more about optimum balance than maximum input. You only really need to add co2 if you are creating an extremely unnatural environment, 2000+par & 1200+ ppm type growing. Even then the max you need is 1200 ppm, any more decreases output.
co2 level.png

Bio boy

Does anyone run co2 in their organic soil grow rooms?

Just curious if anyone does and at what parameters.
I dont run any myself in my current organic Grow but wanted to see how people feel about it.
I learnt it a myth as such I used to use c02 then realised this is for sealed grow rooms

when we exchange air in extractors it’s pointless the ppm needed is 300-400 same as the outside air
same as the giants in nature 300ppm normaly

so when growing inside work On more air exchanges and this works better believe it or not
fresh oxygen and co2 in natural levels
I sold my c02 kit to a pal who can’t pull anything like mine and he runs 1200ppm all day long while extracting lol he swares he needs the co2 to match me
i do 20 changes and hr day and 17 in night time seems sweet spot I also have 2 intakes to split it around the whole room evenly and extract at the top

if cold il extract at bottom and in at top to draw past leaves from lights head heat
I made a hvac so my filter and fans outside the tent I just swap a pipe over

X15

Thanks for that input @Bio boy .
I feel ya on the air exchanging, I like to run two intakes. One on at all times and the other (adjustable) when lights on…
One extraction (adjustable) line large enough to handle both intakes in need. This set up allows me to trim off humidity and heat well, or keep it in.
Plus it creates a little bit of positive pressure in the room… This in mind, I designed the door seals to work With that pressure, so there’s little to no leaks around the door.

Bio boy

Thanks for that input @Bio boy .
I feel ya on the air exchanging, I like to run two intakes. One on at all times and the other (adjustable) when lights on…
One extraction (adjustable) line large enough to handle both intakes in need. This set up allows me to trim off humidity and heat well, or keep it in.
Plus it creates a little bit of positive pressure in the room… This in mind, I designed the door seals to work With that pressure, so there’s little to no leaks around the door.
Why + pressure? Tha would start leaking smells etc? Are you doing some high altitude testing or something?
I run neg all the time I even have a tent sheet cut stuck on the wall to show me its neg lol

Reactions: X15

X15

haha always high altitude testing lol!
Well my room was sealed with the only place that could leak being around the door in... And it’s much easier to seal off a room with positive pressure than negative (if the door opens in. Just gotta use proper fitting seals. Plus I had a lung room on the outside of the door, (where I would often be doing things and sometimes dusty). So unless I opened the door I knew it was always circulating filtered air.
Plus sometimes I’d have pollen close by, so it was easier to keep shit from following me in… and positive pressure allows for easier light leak detection in my opinion.
I run negative pressure on tents usually though if the room they are in is clean.

Bio boy

haha always high altitude testing lol!
Well my room was sealed with the only place that could leak being around the door in... And it’s much easier to seal off a room with positive pressure than negative (if the door opens in. Just gotta use proper fitting seals. Plus I had a lung room on the outside of the door, (where I would often be doing things and sometimes dusty). So unless I opened the door I knew it was always circulating filtered air.
Plus sometimes I’d have pollen close by, so it was easier to keep shit from following me in… and positive pressure allows for easier light leak detection in my opinion.
I run negative pressure on tents usually though if the room they are in is clean.
Wow that’s a different way to view things eh haha crazy

so ya breeding nice what genetics you crossing , I’m thinking to get a fridge for seeds n pollen cause she moans already and I have a few males now hehe
though this one is taking piss to throw his sacs out

Sasult

Why + pressure? Tha would start leaking smells etc? Are you doing some high altitude testing or something?
I run neg all the time I even have a tent sheet cut stuck on the wall to show me its neg lol
It also helps with spores, flying critters, and generally keeping it clean since all of the intake air is filtered. If you have negative pressure airborne things get pulled in from every crack. It requires better sealing of the room and more filters, but it definitely has advantages.

X15

Wow that’s a different way to view things eh haha crazy

so ya breeding nice what genetics you crossing , I’m thinking to get a fridge for seeds n pollen cause she moans already and I have a few males now hehe
though this one is taking piss to throw his sacs out
I suppose. Dif can take a bit to dial things but the benefits suit my needs.
Genetics, well the last couple years I’ve been going through some afghani #1, looking through some s2 stock I made a while back. I had an og male that had a sweet nose, like fruity pebbles, and I found out I was going to be needing to take shit down for a move, so I hit that og to some dream queen, two afghan phenos I had, and some tangie phenos. But my Main focus has been looking through the afghani. Unfortunately I’m super limited on space rn.

Bio boy

I suppose. Dif can take a bit to dial things but the benefits suit my needs.
Genetics, well the last couple years I’ve been going through some afghani #1, looking through some s2 stock I made a while back. I had an og male that had a sweet nose, like fruity pebbles, and I found out I was going to be needing to take shit down for a move, so I hit that og to some dream queen, two afghan phenos I had, and some tangie phenos. But my Main focus has been looking through the afghani. Unfortunately I’m super limited on space rn.
Not bad the afghan has some wicked flavours , I’m rebuilding atm bigger veg room got some banana zkittles terp hogs myself and have 2 males I’m collecting off in the next week before girls go into flower
do want some killer a5 and some malawi

X15

Hell yeah @Bio boy
Rebuilding is always kinda a pain but fun at the same time. I’ve never found anything that I’ve been able to sense banana terps from. It’s on my list for sure though. I ran some zkittles and some dosi back in 19-20 but I never found out who the breeder was. I know they were clones from a shop in Thousand Oaks, CA. Originally I was just helping someone (someone who had no fckn clue), then it turned into me building the person 3 rooms and a drying/ processing room then turning on me and that was over… I left with two mothers but I didnt have space for them then some other shit happened and ended up losing them. I want to try some malawi too! I have some a5 and some other haze types, some nl5, and I’m hoping some g13 still but I miss labeled things so I’ll have to wait and see haha. I don’t really have the head room right now to grow haze the way I feel these particular plants really enjoy.
Im def more of a haze person tho, fuckin love haze. But my pops is getting up there in age and really feels benefits from the afgh I’ve sorted through, so that’s what’s up. Get him comfortable and then I’ll start diving into some more of my taste! this summer hopefully!

St. Phatty

I find that when the plants get bigger they really need that ventilation and/or CO2 supplementation.

My Trifoliate plant is looking a bit frumpy - in the Veg room. I suspect it's related to being crowded in a shower stall with a few other big plants and several smaller plants.

The other bathroom is on a 10/14 schedule, i.e. for flowering.

Those plants get extra CO2 and that room has a better ventilation fan.

Bio boy

Hell yeah @Bio boy
Rebuilding is always kinda a pain but fun at the same time. I’ve never found anything that I’ve been able to sense banana terps from. It’s on my list for sure though. I ran some zkittles and some dosi back in 19-20 but I never found out who the breeder was. I know they were clones from a shop in Thousand Oaks, CA. Originally I was just helping someone (someone who had no fckn clue), then it turned into me building the person 3 rooms and a drying/ processing room then turning on me and that was over… I left with two mothers but I didnt have space for them then some other shit happened and ended up losing them. I want to try some malawi too! I have some a5 and some other haze types, some nl5, and I’m hoping some g13 still but I miss labeled things so I’ll have to wait and see haha. I don’t really have the head room right now to grow haze the way I feel these particular plants really enjoy.
Im def more of a haze person tho, fuckin love haze. But my pops is getting up there in age and really feels benefits from the afgh I’ve sorted through, so that’s what’s up. Get him comfortable and then I’ll start diving into some more of my taste! this summer hopefully!
Woah nice man
ye recently found I’ve spent 15 yes growing hybrids and Indicas hunting what I remeber as a boy to find a thread here which showed me it was the sativa and haze I was after lol damn killer
scrog the mofo and throw her in the corner lol

ace has some Panama x golden tiger and another looked amazing too ,sounded like that awake trippy high makes ya wanna run and laff man I want that do crazy shit weed .

a5 killer have ya grown her out ? They say she has like 5 phenos eh gona have to get me a few packs to make sure as il wanna try em all god damn

malawi things just ring bells to me I’m ordering next week on ace , but also kiwi skunk as theirs is from nz landrace crossed diesel and my fam used to grow over there in the greenhouses so my old ma wanted memories she said they sounded like the strain they grew so I’m getting that too for her ,
g13 damn I remeber when that went viral in my area was amazing never could find cuts of it the same lol

X15

@Bio boy This community has helped me with the same questions I had for many years,.. that old school we got, what kinda plant was that kinda shit lol. a lot more makes sense now.
I haven’t scrogged anything in forever, not that ive been lazy, I just tend to pop more than not enough and On different times, so that shits always a juggle lol.
Im not sure if the a5 I have is the real deal but I’ve found some nice ones, just vary. I’d like to try some directly from Ace and see how things go. Kiwi skunk sounds nice, anything skunky gets my fckd up tho lol. Thanks dope you are doing that for your ma. Such a special gift to give someone. g13 will be in the next round and Il Get some pics.

Bio boy

@Bio boy This community has helped me with the same questions I had for many years,.. that old school we got, what kinda plant was that kinda shit lol. a lot more makes sense now.
I haven’t scrogged anything in forever, not that ive been lazy, I just tend to pop more than not enough and On different times, so that shits always a juggle lol.
Im not sure if the a5 I have is the real deal but I’ve found some nice ones, just vary. I’d like to try some directly from Ace and see how things go. Kiwi skunk sounds nice, anything skunky gets my fckd up tho lol. Thanks dope you are doing that for your ma. Such a special gift to give someone. g13 will be in the next round and Il Get some pics.
They also wrekon the terps hogs collab to be the most banana ridden strain ever so I can’t wait to taste that a guy expressed them as tasting like the banana foam candys when you breathe lol sounds heaven
a guy on here sent me them as he had em Layed there n knew I wanted them and as outa stock forever it was a rare find lol I’m hyped haha

i mainline a big ass African tree then scrog the shit outa it lol

X15

@Bio boy hell yeah, good on him for hookin those up. They sound very interesting! I rem those little bananas candys like it was yesterday.
i def miss having more room.
the afghani I’ve got smells like dog vomit, smokes nice though… but it’s pretty intense during the chop. Cures to a more earthy sour that’s tolerable.

Latest posts

Latest posts