What's new

Oregon TV anchor: Pot got me fired (video)

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
you go girl...

[YOUTUBEIF]Du_O-6zeg44[/YOUTUBEIF]

from http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2015/07/eugene_tv_anchor_says_she_was.html

The morning weekend anchor at Eugene's ABC affiliate says she was fired in late May after testing positive for marijuana.

Cyd Maurer, 25, a University of Oregon graduate, said she got into a minor fender-bender while on assignment for KEZI on May 22 and was ordered, per corporate policy, to undergo a drug test.

Maurer said she disclosed her recreational cannabis use to her immediate supervisor, an assistant news director. She said she had consumed cannabis within one week of the accident, but was not under the influence when she went to work.

The tests came back positive for marijuana. She said Mike Boring, KEZI's general manager, fired her on May 27.

"I just sat there silently, humiliated," said Maurer, who is from Salem. "I have never been fired."

Boring did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Marijuana is legal in Oregon, but the new law doesn't affect the ability of employers to establish drug-free policies. Mike McClory, a labor and employment lawyer in Portland, said while the new law makes it legal for Oregonians 21 and older to consume, they can still be fired for doing it.

"From a criminal standpoint, they won't face any charges," he said. "I think you will see some folks who have been focused more on that and have been less focused on its potential impact on the workplace. "

Maurer has gone public with her experience. On Thursday, she posted a YouTube video titled "How I went from local news anchor to marijuana activist."

"I wasn't fired because I couldn't do my job," she said. "I wasn't fired because of my work ethic, my attitude, or my abilities. I was fired for enjoying a plant, on my own time, in the privacy of my own home. A plant that the majority of voters in Oregon believe should be legal."

Maurer said she has been a marijuana consumer for about five years and uses the drug on a "semi-regular" basis.

She said she never went to work under the influence of cannabis and even stopped consuming for several months because of KEZI's drug policy.

She said she decided to resume consuming marijuana after the November passage of Measure 91, Oregon's cannabis legalization law. She said she grew tired of hiding her cannabis use. It became legal to possess marijuana on July 1.

Since her termination, she's told her parents, in-laws and friends about what happened. All have been supportive.

"The vast majority of people who meet me would never in their wildest dreams assume I use marijuana," she says in her video. "But I do. And I'm tired of hiding it – and in fact, now I want people to take notice."

Anchoring the KEZI newscast was the kind of job she dreamed of when she studied journalism at UO. Now she hopes to get into the marijuana industry.

"There is nothing to be ashamed about," she said. "I just really believe I am doing the right thing. I hope it leads me to a fulfilling career."

-- Noelle Crombie

@noellecrombie; 503-276-7184

Sforza

Veteran
She is certainly right about alcohol being much worse than ganja, but I am not sure that she is correct about millions of people dying from alcohol every year. Tens of thousands, yes, but not millions. Last research that I saw showed about 88,000 deaths per year due to alcohol in the United States.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last research that I saw showed about 88,000 deaths per year due to alcohol in the United States.
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc.

"Based on the analyses of 100 individual country profiles, The World Health Organization (WHO) has released The Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health focused on analyzing available evidence on alcohol consumption, consequences and policy interventions at global, regional and national levels.

The harmful use of alcohol is a global problem which compromises both individual and social development. It causes harm far beyond the physical and psychological health of the drinker, including the harm to the well-being and health of people around the drinker. Alcohol is associated with many serious social and developmental issues, including violence, child neglect and abuse, and absenteeism in the workplace.

The harmful use of alcohol (defined as excessive use to the point that it causes damage to health) has many implications on public health as demonstrated in the following key findings:

• Harmful use of alcohol results in the death of 2.5 million people annually, causes illness and injury to millions more, and increasingly affects younger generations and drinkers in developing countries.

• Nearly 4% of all deaths are related to alcohol. Most alcohol-related deaths are caused by alcohol result from injuries, cancer, cardiovascular diseases and liver cirrhosis.

• 6.2% of male deaths are related to alcohol, compared to 1.1% of female deaths.

• 320 000 young people aged 15-29 years die annually, from alcohol-related causes, resulting in 9% of all deaths in that age group.

• Almost 50% of men and two-thirds of women do not consume alcohol.

• Harmful alcohol use is one of four common risk factors, along with tobacco use, poor diet and physical inactivity, for the four main groups of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) – cardiovascular diseases, cancer, chronic lung diseases and diabetes.

• Alcohol is the world's third largest risk factor for disease burden; it is the leading risk factor in the Western Pacific and the Americas and the second largest in Europe"....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe reporter was a distracted driver. Just because "it's legal" doesn't mean you are shielded. Employers can still fire you.

Many states have an "at will" clause. An at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason (except for a few illegal reasons). If the employer decides to let you go, that's the end of your job--and you have very limited legal rights to fight your termination.they can fire you for no cause.

Oregon.gov
The common law rule regarding the employer-employee relationship allows the termination of the relationship by either party, without notice and without cause.