What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One step closer to legalization!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read this yesterday and can't seem to get over this section:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "including a plan to offer retail sales of marijuana largely at state-run stores. Private businesses could sell recreational cannabis in certain circumstances, such as if a state store isn’t nearby.

The compromise, Martinez said, also would require people to keep receipts showing they purchased their marijuana legally, and they could carry only 1 ounce of cannabis and couldn’t grow it on their own — in contrast to the previous version of the House proposal."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It seems to me freedom is a long ways away. This sounds like the state is seeking to monopolize the cannabis trade under government control and is very very greedy movement by the legislators. imho they are only smelling the money and are doing nothing for the rights of individuals to successfully participate in a free trade industry.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also I hear that they have unleashed a bill that allows for agricultural hemp to be grown and thus there is a shortage of horticultural equipment available because it is being bought out. Already for several years CBD stores have spread which defies my understanding of the criminalization of cannabis. Apparently CBD is a by product of hemp production thus making it entirely acceptable where as "drug producing plants" i.e. plants that produce THC must be more carefully regulated. Makes no sense. I think decriminalization is the only way forward and legalization is hypocrisy.
[/FONT]

Go get a copy of Blacks Law dictionary and look up the two terms Decriminalization and legalization and you will realize that they are one and the same.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MJ....appreciate your passion for our legislative changes. It's not perfect, yet strides have been made after stonewalling for last 8 years....no pun intended.

Currently, decriminalization is only for Santa Fe and Bernalillo Counties. SB 258 voted (33-9) March 1st to pass and thereby reducing penalties for adults who possess small amounts of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. That means ALL of New Mexico, not just Santa Fe and ABQ metro vicinity as previous passed by city councilors.

The bill was amended on the floor to reduce the amount that would be decriminalized from 1 ounce to ½ ounce.

HB 356
According to recent survey, 69% of New Mexico residents support the legalization and regulation of marijuana for adults. With legalization comes taxing and regulations. Taxing and regulating marijuana would create a predictable and significant revenue stream for our cash-strapped state. Millions of dollars of new revenue in New Mexico could go a long way towards funding Medicaid or drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs.

So, bipartisan committee, not voter approval as in Colorado and other states ....it's not the best, but it's something forward thinking, both decriminalization and legalization.

Lived in SO CO before/after legalization....there's problems there, but CO loves the $$. Tried a few samples but not par for me. Since legalization a strain on social services and undesirables arrived, an increase in crime and hospital visits has occurred....CO isn't perfect either.

Having grown 38 years in NM, like myself, many others will continue to do just that, regardless of legislation. For those that can't/won't grow....state operated (Ultra Health, no doubt) is a viable option.

I've had several friends go to prison (NM) way before legislation occurred...several for possession which is now decriminalized and a few growing.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the final stretch for legislators with less than 48 hours to go in this year's session, lawmakers are scrambling to hear major bills.

Mar 15
The future of legal marijuana use in New Mexico remains uncertain as House Bill 356, which regulates the use, productions and sale of cannabis for adults over 21 sit stalled in a Senate Committee.

The bill narrowly passed in the House last week but with one day left in the session, House Democrats say they do not know if the bill will be heard.

Hopeful, but not optimistically hopeful. Roundhouse had a lot of bills to propose.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...new-mexico-oks-bill-to-decrease-pot-penalties

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham wants marijuana legalization back on agenda for the next legislative session.

Lujan Grisham said Saturday that next year's limited 30-day legislative session will include marijuana reform proposals. This year's session ended Saturday at noon.

The first-term Democrat complimented sponsors of a failed bipartisan bill this year that would have legalized marijuana sales at state-operated stores and subsidized medical cannabis for poor patients. The House-approved bill stalled without a Senate vote.

Lujan Grisham says legalization is possible with sufficient precautions to prevent child use and impaired driving.

In New Mexico, the governor decides what major policy issues are heard during abbreviated legislative sessions in even-numbered years.

Amynamous

These frickin 30 and 45 day sessions are BULLSH!#. There is simply NO excuse why it didn’t make it through this year.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the legislators don't get paid,it's citizen government...

It's going to happen!! Governor and most in the legislature are wanting it. A revision of the bill would be nice, and needed to allow paying a fee (state still gets the funds) for home grow, similar to NM MMJ currently. Hopefully, revision. Majority of folks out there do not, cannot grow, so let them pay for nuggets.

Because of a stagnant governor for 8 years prior, other bills were pushed through "rocket docket".

Meanwhile, Amynamous, attend meetings, talk to your representative, get involved instead of gripe.