What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

On Any Sunday (1971)

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
There was one particular movie that I saw when I was a young kid that inspired me to buy a motorcycle. My best friend and I saw the advertisement for it, and we both mercilessly pestered our poor unsuspecting Mother's to drive us to see the Sunday matinee. "Mom" phone calls were exchanged, plans were made, and one Mom drove us there while the other picked us up. My Mother had no idea what she had done ........:good:

Click image for larger version  Name:	MV5BMTkxODMxNTM3MF5BMl5  BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ0Njg4MDE@._V1_  .jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	18118625

https://www.bitchute.com/video/CbIaOQuLEoSR/

There was one major obstacle to overcome. How was I ever going to pay for a bike, especially when both of my parents said absolutely NOT......:frown:

I hunkered down and cut lawns in the summer, shoveled snow in the winter (froze my butt off, I was young & tough able to hack it.......:freezing:...... ) in around the neighborhood for money, and managed to save every last penny I had to buy a brand new 1972 Honda Z-50, starting my life long love affair with motorcycles. Believe it or not, I still own her.......:biggrin:..... she's only 50 years old........:chin:.....and she still starts and runs.....:kissgrin:

Click image for larger version  Name:	MV5BMTkxODMxNTM3MF5BMl5  BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ0Njg4MDE@._V1_  .jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	18118625
Front & rear lights, fold down handle bars, metal tank, all 100% OEM plus I still have the original Honda owners manual and the bill of sale.......:joint:. It was not street legal, so I had to be careful not to get caught driving on the street by the cops, which happened more than once. I would scoot through back alleys to avoid them. I remember it cost me 20 cents to fill the tank, which would last forever.

:yay:

RMS

:smoweed:

Raho

Veteran
"Endless Summer" for motorcycles.
Great movie. Planted the seed of my love for offroad racing.

I started with the same Z50. Mine was blue. Same battle convincing Mom to let the boys have a motorcycle.
Great post brother

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That was me as a kid. We lived 2 fences from Saddleback Park in Irvine, right next to Irvine Lake. What was is now Jamboree road was in the valley behind our house in what was Peter's canyon. I had a 70cc version of that thing, a CT-70, and used it like a dirt bike. Broke the frame in half riding it so hard.

Life was good back in 1971.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Raho.......Endless Summer For Motorcycles.....awesome movie. Wanted to post it here on this thread, but it's nowhere to be found.

Flylowgethigh........I wanted to go for the CT-70 as well when I was at the Honda dealer. I was too big for the Z-50, but my Mother put an end to that idea......:dunno:.....thinking I would get into less trouble on a smaller bike.

I was banned from the house when my Mother discovered that I had purchased a real dirt bike when I was in my early 20's. Funny thing was, I had already moved out years ago.....:Bolt:

She eventually got over herself and my motorcycle addiction.........:smoke:

As a footnote to all this, I did not know that Bruce Brown passed away.......:frown:

“On Any Sunday” and “Endless Summer” Director Bruce Brown passes away at 80

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bruce_brown.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	18119082

For many motorcycle enthusiasts, the 1971 film On Any Sunday was a seminal movie that began for some, invigorated for many others, their favorite pastime. The same could be said for surfers with the release of Slippery When Wet in 1958, Barefoot Adventure in 1960, or Endless Summer in 1966. The common thread in these popular documentaries was director Bruce Brown, who died on Sunday in Santa Barbara of natural causes at 80 years old.

Brown was born in San Francisco in 1937, but moved to Long Beach early in life, where he took up surfing as his passion at 11 years old. After high school graduation in 1955, he joined the Navy, finishing at the top his class in submarine training. This gave him his choice of station upon completion and, of course, he chose Hawaii. Brown surfed in his off-duty time, and brought along an 8mm movie camera to the beach. Having no real camera or directing experience whatsoever, he started filming fellow surfers in their natural habitat, compiled these film clips together, and released his first surfing movie Slippery When Wet in 1958. It was the first of six surfing documentaries Brown made over the next six years. Those films realized limited success in Southern California and Hawaii, where the surfing culture was popular, but it was the nationwide release of the sixth movie, Endless Summer, in 1966 that caused a widespread interest in surfing documentaries. The story was about two surfers, Mike Hynson and Robert August, who traveled the world looking for that perfect wave in many different locations north and south of the Equator. Brown also did all the narration for his documentaries.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5488LiferBruceBrown04_l-Copy-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.5 KB ID:	18119083
After completing Endless Summer, Brown and many of his surfer friends were also riding off-road motorcycles and competing in motorcycle races on weekends. Brown became a big fan of motorcycling after renting a scooter while in Japan, and purchased and rode a Triumph Cub when he returned home. He attended races and decided that off-road motorcycle riding and racing would make for another good documentary subject. Knowing that actor Steve McQueen was whole-heartedly involved with off-road bikes, he approached McQueen about starring in and financing his newest idea. Although Brown was initially turned down, McQueen later agreed to co-produce and finance the new movie, which became On Any Sunday. The movie starred Mert Lawwill as he attempted to defend his Grand National championship, but it also featured the actor (and financial backer) and Malcom Smith, along with other friends, racing and goofing off on a beach at the Camp Pendleton Marine base on dirt bikes. The movie garnered an Oscar nomination for Brown in 1970. One scene from the movie, showing kids on their pedal bikes emulating the racers by negotiating the off-road course, is said to have spurred interest in that sport, which later became known as BMX riding. The film must be considered when formulating any “Best of” lists for motorcycle movies, just as Endless Summer should also be considered for any list of the best surfing movies.

Brown was a 1999 inductee into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame and 2009 inductee into the Surfer’s Hall of Fame. Later in life, he directed additional documentaries on both subjects, including Endless Summer II in 1994, On Any Given Sunday II in 1981, and On Any Sunday: Revisited in 2000.

After moving to the Santa Barbara area in the Eighties, Brown continued to surf and ride bikes as well as taking up road-rally racing and car restoration. He made many appearances later in life at reunions and events related to his movies.

SOURCE: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...c08c2dd65cbc11

Click image for larger version  Name:	Swanees.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	18119092

Click image for larger version  Name:	SQUID Ascending Swannees.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	18119104

RMS

St. Phatty

Not a motorcycle movie, but as good as any Ocean's Eleven.

"The Lavender Hill Mob" - with Obi Wan Kenobi, Alec Guinness. Made in 1951.

No special effects, just plot.

Starts out with the Ending Scene, which makes more sense when they get to the end and show the End of the Ending Scene.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
LOL RMS. I got a SL-70 next, and used it in college to get back and forth in Westwood, LA. I could hide the bike in bushes near a building and avoid the UCLA parking hassle. Being young and dumb, I didn't mind riding a little bike like that on the streets to and from class.

1983 comes along and I decide to get a dirt bike when was living in FL. The Yamaha IT-490K was a great bike... if you knew how to start it without getting thrown over the handlebars if it kicked back.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
"Endless Summer" for motorcycles.
Great movie. Planted the seed of my love for offroad racing.

I started with the same Z50. Mine was blue. Same battle convincing Mom to let the boys have a motorcycle.
Great post brother

Riding the Baja

Raho.....it's called "Chasing Summer"

Erzberg Rodeo 2019

In 2015 @ Erzberg, out of 1500 riders, none were able to finish on their own. The last 4 surviving riders helped each other on the final stage, and all 4 were declared winners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	riders-stuck-on-the-downtown-section-of-the-erzbergrodeo-2015-hard-enduro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	18120136

ISDE - ITALY - 2021

RMS