What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oltimer's Purple Haze 2024 (26fx6m)

exoticrobotic

That's amazing, keeping a seedline going for that long, regularly growing it each year.

Well done.

But to keep it going while selecting is especially interesting as it may be possible to see and understand much more about the particular strain from how your selection went.

If you have a moment, i would be really interested to hear how the plants have changed along those 10 generations.

and any correlations with colour and form and high you may have noticed?

Are the highs diffferent between the greens and the purples like with the positronic's haze that th kept going many years for example.

Have any original smells changed at all?

:love:

hanfiking

That's amazing, keeping a seedline going for that long, regularly growing it each year.

Well done.

But to keep it going while selecting is especially interesting as it may be possible to see and understand much more about the particular strain from how your selection went.

If you have a moment, i would be really interested to hear how the plants have changed along those 10 generations.

and any correlations with colour and form and high you may have noticed?

Are the highs diffferent between the greens and the purples like with the positronic's haze that th kept going many years for example.

Have any original smells changed at all?

:love:
I will say that not enough time has passed for really big changes, but I do know that the smell hasn't changed at all. I wouldn't over-emphasise any changes because changes are the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. The main goal is stability. But I'm just a small-time hobby grower with limited time and resources.
Actually, one year, I lost a grow because there was an accident and the police were in the area. I had to cull them.
I wouldn't say Anise; extremely earthy. I'll try and get a full olfactory profile this time.

EDIT: Normally, what you do to achieve true stability is you keep crossing them with the original batch of seeds for as long as you can and then cross the latest with the next generation of grandparents, for example. That's really how you get the most favourable best genetics. What I'm doing is slightly simpler, less effective, and harder to manage, but it is easier to grow and keep track of :D

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

I tried to select for health (immediately visible defects), leaf shape, growth speed and size, and colour. Never crossed it with anything.
A few of my photo albums got lost from the time I wasn't active here in IC
I immediately noticed that you didn't mention anything about resin coating, dripping trichomes, etc.

Health and structure are the _key_ to developing quality cannabis!

When the apocalypse happens and alien species come to rule our planet, Hanficking's Purple Haze and Charley Farley's SouthEast Lights cannabis will survive, grow, and get those aliens _high_.

And because we're on the Protected Species list because we created the varietal, we will survive, grow and get high with them!!!!

Hope you understand my Coneheads humor. :)

CharlesU Farley

Holy shit!!!

Scrolling up this thread, I actually see a picture of a _staminate_ plant. How refreshing to see that in a sea of feminization, chemical sex reversal, and auto flowering threads.

When I started a thread titled show your studs or something like that a couple months ago and posted this pic, very few people actually responded. I know if you had of seen the thread, you would have responded cuz that's a damn fine looking boy you got there. (y)

1000010942.jpg

I think I've got my settings right to when you post in this thread, I'll get dinged. Hard for an old fuck like me to scan all these threads, but like I said before I'll know I'll learn something from this one so I'll be lurking around.

Damn fine work you're doing!

hanfiking

Holy shit!!!

Scrolling up this thread, I actually see a picture of a _staminate_ plant. How refreshing to see that in a sea of feminization, chemical sex reversal, and auto flowering threads.

When I started a thread titled show your studs or something like that a couple months ago and posted this pic, very few people actually responded. I know if you had of seen the thread, you would have responded cuz that's a damn fine looking boy you got there. (y)

View attachment 18992669

I think I've got my settings right to when you post in this thread, I'll get dinged. Hard for an old fuck like me to scan all these threads, but like I said before I'll know I'll learn something from this one so I'll be lurking around.

Damn fine work you're doing!
I honestly don't know why people think males are less important in breeding...

EDIT: here's more balls just for you:
1714026276570.jpeg

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Sea of Green (too young for any potential defects to be seen) I moved them under 400W HPS because he weather isn't the best at the moment:

View attachment 18993149
How utterly refreshing it is to see seedlings this close together! Most people don't seem to understand that competition is _good_ for cannabis. Every time I see a picture like this, I know those plants will never reach their full potential. Almost feel sorry for them, they're lonely ;) :

1000011862.jpg

hanfiking

I know a lot of people will hate me for doing this [seedling method], but it's time to cull the first round. At first glance, they were really homogenous, but I found a few weird fingers and even one trifoliate (that should tell you how strong hereditary genetic mutations are and in contrast how little I am influencing).

Image 2024-04-29_01.jpeg

The first cull over, and I do have some favourites. I will let them grow some more, and then I'll post again when there are only 9 left, which I will take to flower.

Image 2024-04-29_02.jpeg

Last edited:

El Timbo

I know a lot of people will hate me for doing this [seedling method], but it's time to cull the first round. At first glance, they were really homogenous, but I found a few weird fingers and even one trifoliate (that should tell you how strong hereditary genetic mutations are and in contrast how little I am influencing).

The first cull over, and I do have some favourites. I will let them grow some more, and then I'll post again when there are only 9 left, which I will take to flower.

Nice to see someone working with the same population for years! What sex ratios do you typically get with this early selection for vigour method? When you choose seeds to plant do you skew the selection in favour of favourite females?

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran

View attachment 18995261

View attachment 18995262

Mmmm micro greens...lol That's where my mind went after seeing that picture