What's new

Old pH meter - kane may KM 7001. Any ideas?

Piecho

Hey
Browsing local adds I found this old pH meter. I tried to find any instruction or manual, but no luck. I get curious, how you should operate such device. And if that may be a good idea for reliable pH measurement today for a small grower, or should I stay with cheap pH meters with regular calibration and usage of storing solution?

I see here 2 metal probes. Like from electric multimeter, not a bulb with a liquid as the sensor.

1693430729764.png

1693430659071.png

1693430894440.png

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Keeping the probes in storage solution is key when using some pH meters. Also calibrating meters with 4,7, & 10 solutions will keep a meter in check. I don't see that with the old meters.

New pH meters are everywhere easy to get and have good results. I wouldn't use anything I wasn't sure was accurate. A good rule of thumb is to have two meters to keep check on each other. If it were me I would only use a pH meter that I knew was perfect. Thanks for the post and photo, brings back memories.

Piecho

Yeah, leaving the meter myself, thanks. I will get something modern and calibrate it before use.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Keeping the probes in storage solution is key when using some pH meters. Also calibrating meters with 4,7, & 10 solutions will keep a meter in check. I don't see that with the old meters.

New pH meters are everywhere easy to get and have good results. I wouldn't use anything I wasn't sure was accurate. A good rule of thumb is to have two meters to keep check on each other. If it were me I would only use a pH meter that I knew was perfect. Thanks for the post and photo, brings back memories.
Testing at 2 levels is critical. I tested at only 7 and was constantly adjusting in 1 direction. Batteries were dying and reading off. Testing at 2 a few points apart is needed for accuracy. Have only used cheap yellow and black cap, and like the ones with screwdriver adjustment.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Think I had 10 after my experience with only calibrating at 7 while batteries were dying.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Do the cheap yellow and black ones need storage solution??? Any advice on cleaning when white spot turns black?? Have tried toothbrush but does not do much?

Latest posts

Latest posts