What's new

Ohio votes for recreational legalization today

Sweatloaf

I don't live in Ohio but I find tracking states who are voting to legalize to be interesting.

Apparently the measure would allow the following:

• 21 and older to purchase and possess 2.5 ounces of flower.
  • Allow 21 and older to grow up to 6 plants. And if more than one adult 21 and older lives in the same household...the plant limit is doubled to up to 12 plants allowed.

My question that I don't know the answer to: 12 or even 6 plants would yield far more than 2.5 ounces (or presumably 5 ounces if accounting for two adults). So...does that mean there's no limit on the amount of flower that a person or two people can yield from their 6 or 12 plants?

Minnesota recently legalized and the rules are convoluted and contradictory with common sense and reality when it comes to growing your own and household possession: A person/household can grow up to 8 plants (but only a maximum of 4 can be mature at one time) and can possess a total of 2 pounds of flower at home. The confusion: I read something that said that a max of 4 plants of the 8 can be flowering. Autoflowers start to flower even during the early veg stage. So...only 4 autoflowers? Even one outdoor plant can yield more than 2 pounds. So...can't grow those varieties outdoors, even if it's only one plant?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't live in Ohio but I find tracking states who are voting to legalize to be interesting.

Apparently the measure would allow the following:

• 21 and older to purchase and possess 2.5 ounces of flower.
  • Allow 21 and older to grow up to 6 plants. And if more than one adult 21 and older lives in the same household...the plant limit is doubled to up to 12 plants allowed.

My question that I don't know the answer to: 12 or even 6 plants would yield far more than 2.5 ounces (or presumably 5 ounces if accounting for two adults). So...does that mean there's no limit on the amount of flower that a person or two people can yield from their 6 or 12 plants?

Minnesota recently legalized and the rules are convoluted and contradictory with common sense and reality when it comes to growing your own and household possession: A person/household can grow up to 8 plants (but only a maximum of 4 can be mature at one time) and can possess a total of 2 pounds of flower at home. The confusion: I read something that said that a max of 4 plants of the 8 can be flowering. Autoflowers start to flower even during the early veg stage. So...only 4 autoflowers? Even one outdoor plant can yield more than 2 pounds. So...can't grow those varieties outdoors, even if it's only one plant?
Either way one can get all the weed they want. Sounds pretty good to me.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh hey way to go Ohiio

Ohio Becomes 24th State to Legalize Marijuana for Adult Use
BY NORML POSTED ON NOVEMBER 7, 2023
A majority of Ohio voters have approved a citizens’ initiated measure (Issue 2) legalizing the possession, home cultivation, and retail sale of cannabis for those age 21 or older.

“Cannabis legalization is an issue that unites Democrats, Republicans, and Independents,” NORML’s Deputy Director Paul Armentano said. “Ohioans have seen similar legalization laws adopted in neighboring states and they know that regulating the cannabis market is preferable to the failed policy of prohibition. It is imperative that elected officials respect the voters’ decision and implement this measure in a manner that is consistent with the sentiments of the majority of the electorate.”

Because the proposed measure is a statutory question rather than a constitutional amendment, state lawmakers have the option of amending, or even repealing, its provisions. Prior to today’s vote, members of the GOP-led Ohio Senate passed a resolution urging voters to reject the initiative and Republican Gov. Mike DeWine spoke out against the measure. The state’s Senate leader has also expressed his desire to revisit provisions of the new law and propose legislative changes.

As approved by voters, the law allows for the possession of up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana or 15 grams of marijuana extract by adults. Ohioans will be permitted to purchase marijuana at retail locations or grow up to 12 plants in a private residence (where at least two adults reside). Retail cannabis products will be taxed at 10 percent and sales are anticipated to generate between $276.2 million to $403.6 million in annual cannabis tax dollars by the fifth year of sales. A separate analysis estimates that the law will provide 3,300 new jobs in the first year after legalization.

Provisions in the law legalizing the possession and home cultivation of marijuana by adults take effect on December 7th. The measure calls upon regulators to begin issuing retail licenses by late 2024.

Ohio is the 24th state to legalize the adult-use marijuana market, and it is the 14th do so by a public vote.

moose eater

Oh hey way to go Ohiio

Ohio Becomes 24th State to Legalize Marijuana for Adult Use
BY NORML POSTED ON NOVEMBER 7, 2023
A majority of Ohio voters have approved a citizens’ initiated measure (Issue 2) legalizing the possession, home cultivation, and retail sale of cannabis for those age 21 or older.

“Cannabis legalization is an issue that unites Democrats, Republicans, and Independents,” NORML’s Deputy Director Paul Armentano said. “Ohioans have seen similar legalization laws adopted in neighboring states and they know that regulating the cannabis market is preferable to the failed policy of prohibition. It is imperative that elected officials respect the voters’ decision and implement this measure in a manner that is consistent with the sentiments of the majority of the electorate.”

Because the proposed measure is a statutory question rather than a constitutional amendment, state lawmakers have the option of amending, or even repealing, its provisions. Prior to today’s vote, members of the GOP-led Ohio Senate passed a resolution urging voters to reject the initiative and Republican Gov. Mike DeWine spoke out against the measure. The state’s Senate leader has also expressed his desire to revisit provisions of the new law and propose legislative changes.

As approved by voters, the law allows for the possession of up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana or 15 grams of marijuana extract by adults. Ohioans will be permitted to purchase marijuana at retail locations or grow up to 12 plants in a private residence (where at least two adults reside). Retail cannabis products will be taxed at 10 percent and sales are anticipated to generate between $276.2 million to $403.6 million in annual cannabis tax dollars by the fifth year of sales. A separate analysis estimates that the law will provide 3,300 new jobs in the first year after legalization.

Provisions in the law legalizing the possession and home cultivation of marijuana by adults take effect on December 7th. The measure calls upon regulators to begin issuing retail licenses by late 2024.

Ohio is the 24th state to legalize the adult-use marijuana market, and it is the 14th do so by a public vote.
In Alaska, if an initiative is passed by the voters, the legislature isn't permitted to change the intent of the law unless it's to provide what is (supposed to be) a similar substitute, though they have, in the past, taken liberties related to a very broad definition of 'substitute'.

moose eater

I'm sure it is related to capitalism of some sort.
It's my belief that the motive behind most states that have legalized is revenue... $$$$$$$

However, when Alaska's medical cannabis initiative was passed by the voters in 1998, then-State Senator Loren Leman, a fundamentalist Christian and prohibitionist drug war zealot, put forth a 'substitute' that was passed by the legislature in 1999 that significantly restricted and more narrowly defined what the voters initially passed.

But no one took him to task in the courts for the arguable procedural violation(s).

Sweatloaf

It's my belief that the motive behind most states that have legalized is revenue... $$$$$$$

I don't think the states have a choice in the matter at this point. The spigot providing a continuous flow of federal money to the states has been restricted and likely will be even more so.

Also, federal moving cannabis from Schedule 1 (which was preposterous all along and a very obvious simple means of control and generation of government drug money) to Schedule III is a dangerous "wolf in sheep's clothing", putting cannabis in the same schedule as Tylenol with Codeine, etc. Can people make their own version of Tylenol with codeine at home? No. Will people be able to continue to grow their own plants at home if federal moves to Schedule III? An argument and position will undoubtedly be made that they can't.

moose eater

I don't think the states have a choice in the matter at this point. The spigot providing a continuous flow of federal money to the states has been restricted and likely will be even more so.

Also, federal moving cannabis from Schedule 1 (which was preposterous all along and a very obvious simple means of control and generation of government drug money) to Schedule III is a dangerous "wolf in sheep's clothing", putting cannabis in the same schedule as Tylenol with Codeine, etc. Can people make their own version of Tylenol with codeine at home? No. Will people be able to continue to grow their own plants at home if federal moves to Schedule III? An argument and position will undoubtedly be made that they can't.
The feds define drugs' scheduling based on likelihood for abuse, addiction, and medical uses. Among other factors.

Yes, the federal resistance to sensible policy is weakening along with the state level resistance to legalization or decriminalization, but there's still resistance. 'Reading the water', so to speak, includes the uptick in anti-pot medical articles, LE comments in some cases, etc.

In fact, in Alaska, at least last year and the year before, though quieter about it in the media, arrests for 'black market' grows went up again. and we've had decriminalization, including constitutional protections under the State's Article 1, Section 22 since May of 1975 as a result of the ruling in Ravin v. State (Alaska).

I worked drug policy reform for over 40 years. And as I've told folks before and after our legalization, re.; black market grows, before you were just a dope grower they loved to hate. Now you're a dope grower they love to hate, who's taking revenue out of their pocket. Something they didn't have to hate over before.

I doubt up here that we'd have had the absence of legislative interference we've seen, if not for the revenue factor. Same in many of the places that have gone legal.

Last edited:

Sweatloaf

The feds define drugs' scheduling based on likelihood for abuse, addiction, and medical uses. Among other factors.

Yes, the federal resistance to sensible policy is weakening along with the state level resistance to legalization or decriminalization, but there's still resistance. 'Reading the water', so to speak, includes the uptick in anti-pot medical articles, LE comments in some cases, etc.

In fact, in Alaska, at least last year and the year before, though quieter about it in the media, arrests for 'black market' grows went up again. and we've had decriminalization, including constitutional protections under the State's Article 1, Section 22 since May of 1975 as a result of the ruling in Ravin v. State (Alaska).

I worked drug policy reform for over 40 years. And as I've told folks before and after our legalization, re.; black market grows, before you were just a dope grower they loved to hate. NJow you're a dope grower they love to hate, who's taking revenue out of their pocket. Something they didn't have to hate over before.

I doubt up here that we'd have had the absence of legislative interference we've seen, if not for the revenue factor. Same in many of the places that have gone legal.

I think rescheduling at the federal level is inevitable. It should be descheduled, but imagine if federal kept weed at Schedule I and we get to 30 states legalizing it, then 40 states legalizing it, etc. The more states that legalize it, if federal makes no changes, the more apparent it will become that the Schedule I is nothing more than a tyrannical point of power with no legitimate reasons for that same scheduling. By rescheduling to III, that gives the image of "getting with the times" but still maintaining a case for it's continued control to be legitimate.

Last edited: