What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OG means ... ?

T

Teddybrae

Hello ... I 've only been involved with Cannabis for a short while and wonder just exactly what does OG mean? Thanks in anticipication!

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hey mate, I was under the impression o.g stood for original gangster or ocean grown.

Last edited:

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
It stands for the big dude around the corner with a beard and tats in his late 50's wearing overalls, yeah him. Don't fuck with him:D

OP

Dr.NO

People used to say OG stood for ocean grown and that there may be some salinity tolerance in the genetics, but it could be apocryphal.

Gry

When I moved to the valley, I pretty much came to understand it was what the kids in the shops would call their cannabis when they wanted top dollar for it, but could not speak of it's genetics.
It's now an old favorite for me.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
so the real story is this

Once the kush clone (now known as OG) got.loose and spread from the original crew. The original crew started putting OG on their kush pounds aka OG kush aka this is the kush clone grown by the original guys. If it doesn't make sense to you I guess you would have had to live in LA in the 90s. I've posted about this exact topic on here multiple times. I'm sure you can go through my posts and dig up more detailed info

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah I'm gonna be starting a thread explaining what's known up until this point and time. Well what's widely and perhaps not so widely known. It's getting tiring saying it over and over trying to stop the whole "John from grass valley..." Bullshit. wouldn't do it for any other plant though. The kush saga deserves its place in history.

T

Teddybrae

Thanks very much! I 'll keep an eye open for your thread.

Yeah I'm gonna be starting a thread explaining what's known up until this point and time. Well what's widely and perhaps not so widely known. It's getting tiring saying it over and over trying to stop the whole "John from grass valley..." Bullshit. wouldn't do it for any other plant though. The kush saga deserves its place in history.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
The kush saga was over by 06 and was well documented on OverGrow.com... anything since then is a shit sequel for people who dont remember it or werent there.

The OG'ers kush already has a place in history, they just deleted most of it.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
The kush saga was over by 06 and was well documented on OverGrow.com... anything since then is a shit sequel for people who dont remember it or werent there.

The OG'ers kush already has a place in history, they just deleted most of it.

You understand there is an entire universe out there that has nothing to do with overgrow, right?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The only fairly consistent thing I can pull from it all is OriGinal.

It sounds like part of a selection process to me.

Just had a poke about. Koh Gaw Kush is in Afghanistan. Though calling it such may be incorrect.

It's the one everyone likes. That much is certain.

green-genes77

Veteran
At this point? Anything you want it to. The history of OG Kush, let alone the meaning of the name, is so muddied at this point that it might be unverifiable. Many claim to have the real story but making up a story is pretty easy.

More to the point: does it matter?