What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

nutrient ideas

gizmo666

hey folks i've always been a user of bio bizz products and i have to say i've never had any problems with them
but as i've got a new grow just started(in mars forum) i think its time to try out some different nutes
so as i grow in soil(levingtons seedling mix) i thought to ask you guys what your using and how its went for you before i buy
thanks folks

troutman

Seed Whore
I like changing things up

Right now, I'm using Alaska Fish emulsion, Gaia Green's Power Bloom, Bone Meal with a few odds and ends. :)

Regardless what I use I like mixing different stuff and think it's best for the plants to get different nutrients over time.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Maxicrop dried Norwegian Kelp (the soluble concentrate), Alaska Fish Emulsion, General Organics, are all good.

Recently, after mixing Kelp Meal, Earthworm Castings, Greensand, and some other extras into the soil, I've been watering with Cal/Mag and Aloe Juice added to the water, no addition nutes needed.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I won’t go within 20 feet of a bottle of Alaskan fish emulsion I’m sure it’s really good and all that but good God:biggrin: That’s where I draw the line >>> the smell of that stuff

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
I won’t go within 20 feet of a bottle of Alaskan fish emulsion I’m sure it’s really good and all that but good God:biggrin: That’s where I draw the line >>> the smell of that stuff

I hear you star crash. Funny thing is: It's Deodorized......as if that helps. Feeding day smells like Low Tide.

PolyChucker

I am trying to keep it simple with locally available potting soil and fertilizer.
I use 420 “probiotic” soil, fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and bloom 0-10-10 and cal mag as needed.
because I’m sprouting a lot of mediocre seeds, I don’t want to baby them. I want to see what does well with my setup and breed for that.
I am hoping to eventually find a cut that I like so much that I will use fancier stuff on it to get to its max. But right now it’s all relative.
for example, I’m growing some bagseed from a friend, looks like Blue Dream. Many had yellow edges on the leaves so I started giving them cal-mag - some still have signs of deficiency. If a great cut needs calmag, that’s fine. But the ones still having calcium claw or yellow leaf edges even after giving cal mag - they just have weaker genes, since all are being treated the same. And of course top 10% look pretty great so why bring weak, finicky plants along for the ride? Also a few have reddish stems. I think this is also some type of nutrient problem since it’s only a few out of 20. I used to think coloration was just a phenotype but now I want them to have minimal color except purple buds OK.
I had been giving fish fertilizer for veg and bloom for flower but I can tell that it’s not exactly an ideal ratio so I’m trying to push it a bit and find best ratios. Recently I read 3-1-1 for veg, 1-3-2 for early flower and 0-3-3 for late flower. But I’ve also found that I can give 10-2-2 (2tbsp fish/ gal) and don’t see N toxicity so I think the ratios could be tripled and mixed between the two to give 10-3.5-3.5, 3-10-10 and 0-10-10.
I think once I find tune this specific method it will help me know how to adapt any fertilizer to my system though I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
N is pretty easy in all plants in the garden - give them some, watch the leaves get darker, once they’re starting to get weirdly dark then back off. The other ones are harder to tell so easily.

PolyChucker

I have used fox farm trilogy and the NPK ratios don’t make sense to as they didn’t line up with my understanding of those needs and also didn’t seem any better than much cheaper big box store fertilizer

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I tried a brand called Ionic, several years past and got pretty good results but I haven't seen them mentioned or in any stores lately so I'm not sure if they still around. I did the FoxFarm brand for a while and my experience was pretty much the same as PolyChucker's above. I've also worked with Botanicare Pure Blend Pro in the past with good results.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Jacks 3-2-1. The easiest and best....super low cost. You are not paying for water. I have the best looking plants of my life with Jacks. Just completed the best run ever as far as quality and smell with Jacks. You can adjust ratios to your liking as well. No need to reinvent the wheel. Its round and rolls perfectly. I will drop a link to my just finished diary on that run here if you like to take a look at the results. Skip to the last couple pages for the pics and results...Jacks kicks it!
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...-under-plc-led
If you do not like to mix every feed you can make a concentrate and use it just like the bottled stuff....super easy! About the low cost. When you buy it in bulk you get great value for money. I am paying less than 1$ when I change out my 32 gallon system...hahaha....that's nice!
Here is a comparison with Advanced Sensi bloom. $34.00 for 2, 1 liter bottles delivered. 4 ml per liter of A and B suggested application. 32 gallons is 121 liters. 121 L x 4 ml is 484 ml. So I would get about 2 changes for my 32 gallon system with 34 dollars spent...that 16 bucks a res change. Compared to a buck for Jacks. Plus the fact I am not making Big Mike rich makes me happy.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I tried a brand called Ionic, several years past and got pretty good results but I haven't seen them mentioned or in any stores lately so I'm not sure if they still around. I did the FoxFarm brand for a while and my experience was pretty much the same as PolyChucker's above. I've also worked with Botanicare Pure Blend Pro in the past with good results.

Growth Technologies make Ionic. I hear people speak of it globally, but I think it's made in Cheshire (UK).
I have used the range for years. It's single part formula makes mixing A&B look like a pointless task. Likewise, any extras... pointless unless you have a deficiency. You just need one bottle for grow and one for bloom. Adjusting the pH is as complicated as it needs to be

gizmo666

thanks guys for the info
nutes can be such a tightrope as there is so many and so many individual recipes and all claiming the same thing lol
been growing for years and one thing ive never done is ph test i'm lucky where i am the water is perfect from the tap
so i've just relented and bought more bio bizz products
i guess its the old saying "if it aint broke"
but thanks for the replies

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
thanks guys for the info
nutes can be such a tightrope as there is so many and so many individual recipes and all claiming the same thing lol
been growing for years and one thing ive never done is ph test i'm lucky where i am the water is perfect from the tap
so i've just relented and bought more bio bizz products
i guess its the old saying "if it aint broke"
but thanks for the replies

Yeah I think the old saying still applies. I mean sure it's nice to try other things but with that often comes having to make adjustments since it's something new and unfamiliar. Really the only logical reason to try something new when you already have something that works is if there is an availability issue developing or if you're needing to find a cheaper solution. Also I notice in this community of ours you run into a lot of people that insist you go in a certain direction and often it's just their opinion rather then anything based on fact. The way I see it if something works for you and you like the results regardless of what anyone else thinks then that's all that matters. When it comes to nutrients that usually crops up in the debate over chemical versus organic. Like for example it is for the most part agreed upon that Miracle Grow nutrients while fine for petunias is no good for cannabis. Yet I've met people that use Miracle Grow and nothing else and they are very happy with the results they get. Now to be clear I'm not advocating the use of Miracle Grow nutrients, I personally don't like them in my cannabis. If however someone else is happy with it then hey good for them and they should keep on using them with the only exception being "are they growing cannabis for others to consume?" If yes then they should take into consideration what is best for their customers.

jwm

Veteran
Right now I’m using dr earth dry slow release ferts w/ recharge, great results.
Gonna try Gaia green and earth dust in coming runs.

Three Berries

I've always used the Miracle Grow veg or flower mixes and well water. 15 years or so. Just started using a Humic acid additive. Got some MasterBlend and CalNit but haven't committed myself to it yet.

ShoreFire

K.I.S.S.......Jacks hydro 5-12-26 3,2,1 is the template for ALL....My jam and one of the best value Masterblend A@ 2.5g B@ 2.5g Epsom@ 2-3 g per gallon 1.2-1.6 ec { 2- 4 cents a gallon is a no brainer } promix bx, feed same npk ratio beginning to end, potassium silicate 1-2ml per gal during veg, smaller pots quicker dry backs frequent irrigations monitor runoff flush often
smile Fire!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Rabbit poop tea, neutral peat based soil, KNF water soluble calcium as a foliar, some poop tea as a foliar.

So easy it's crazy. It's keeping rabbits alive that bothers most folks. Now past the first year mark with our four rabbits, yaaaay! (Ignore pet rabbit owner advice! Listen to meat rabbit producers.)

Latest posts

Latest posts