What's new

Norfolk Island & Cannabis...?

So, just out of interest I was reading up on Norfolk Island, and long story short, I ended up on the Norfolk Government website.

For some reason I decided to look at the legislation section, and came across the Dangerous Drugs Act 1927. I felt compelled to have a look. What I read surprised me. I then went on to the Dangerous Drug Amendment Act 1997, and the Dangerous Drug Amendment Act 1998.

So, you can apply to import, export, grow and sell both Cannabis, and low THC Cannabis.

This makes me wonder. Do they ever grant licences, or is it allowable in theory, but in reality they never grant licences, effectively banning it?

Interesting either way.

Any thougts?

Check out the Acts here:
Dangerous Drugs Act 1927
http://www.info.gov.nf/legislation/ConsolidatedActs/

Dangerous Drugs Amendments (click on 1997 and 1998]
http://www.info.gov.nf/legislation/NumberedActs/

S

Sat X RB

saw something about this rare place on ABC the other day. seemed VERY conservative place to me ... but ya never can tell how people are when yr face to face.

apparently the Norfolk Island mob are descendents of the mutiny on the good ship Bounty and moved to Norfolk from Pitcairn Island many years ago. the people are recognised as a separate ethnic group by the Oz gov.

seems to me tho that anyone remotely like a white hippie type would stand out like a sore thumb (as he landed by longboat) and the locals would need a compelling reason to accomodate her/him.

and cannabis production wouldn't help the N. Islanders' economy because they wouldn't be able to export it to anywhere except those places that have already legalised cannabis.

Oh well ... that's Life.

(PS. hope I 'm thinking about the right island!)

Yep, your thinking about the right place. Your history is correct. They're a mix of the original Europeans and the Islanders they met along the way. They've even got they're own language of sorts. A kind of mix of English and Tahitian, or something like that.

And yep, you couldn't export many places, obviously. That's not really what I was getting at. Its the fact that the law doesnt make it explicitly illegal, and that its even possible to APPLY to import, export, grow and sell Cannabis on NI. That 1998 amendment is basically the application form.

And who says they have to be anything "resembling" a "white hippy"...? I know poeple from ALL walk of life that smoke, and they are so far from the "hippy" type, that's it just not even worth discussing.

So as I was originally saying, its technically not illegal, but because they fail to grant licences, its effectively illegal? Hmmm

And at 35km2 and almost 3000 residents, I would thave thought you could find all types of people there.

BTW, Im not asking because I want to go there, and export or sell weed or whatever. In fact, the thought of an island life doesnt really appeal to me much. Just came across the relevant info and it made me think.

It just annoys me that something can be essentially legal, but made effectively illegal by the people in power just because they personally are uneducated on the issue.

Anyways, thanks for the imput.

S

Sat X RB

at the risk of drifting off-thread ... I understand yr last statement.

I think though that it's not education that's missing ... it's open-ness of mind. like a mind that will inquire into EVERYTHING!

instead there is a clinging to the Mass. a following.

and as age inclines my reflections more and more toward the objective I see this is true for almost all of us. most of us in these pages are tuned in to Cannabis reform and in that specific regard wonder what a free world would be like ... while at the same time we are largely unconscious of many, many other injustices that are integral with our Society and Culture. Racism for example is mostly unconscious and as our last Labor leader found out a large degree of Misogyny exists within our population.

anyway ... reflections, reflections on an imperfect world. thanks for the Opportunity!

Thanks for weighing in.

I agree with you for the most part...but I think education is still key. I think they work in concert...with education comes openmindedness imo. And they prop each other up. I certainly want you to be too openminded if you're competently uneducated...I mean, you would just believe everything anyone tells you. As they say, its good to be openmided, but not so much that your brain falls out.

Latest posts

Latest posts