What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Node (Forum) Tweaks Help!!!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Ideally . . .

In my mind the speakers corner would be clumped together in Toker’s Den. Posts from SC would not appear on the main What’s New feeds. In other words, if you want to see it and participate in it, you have to drill down into Speaker’s Corner. And only a logged in member can view it. I was a participant on another unrelated forum and this is how they dealt with all of the BS that an SC type forum creates.
I was on several of those forums TBD, and that is exactly how they were ran. You require a pwd from a mod or admin to partake. Some may go out of curiosity but folks who don't take to that type of discussion, won't return. But! Most importantly it returns the site to some sense of civility discussing how we can improve what we do, grow cannabis/medicine. It' \s a new improved skin, let's improve this new site with returning it to its origins (although I wasn't around then) But you catch my drift :) :tiphat:
Peace out...

StevenHXF

Administrator
It' \s a new improved skin, let's improve this new site with returning it to its origins (although I wasn't around then)
Exactly! Granted it needs a bit of love but with the help of the community we can make ICMag the go to destination once again. It will take time and a lot of effort but I’m confident the future is bright if we can get everybody onboard. I think it’s time that other forums, communities and people in the space start putting some respect back on ICMags name!

:thank you:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Exactly! Granted it needs a bit of love but with the help of the community we can make ICMag the go to destination once again. It will take time and a lot of effort but I’m confident the future is bright if we can get everybody onboard. I think it’s time that other forums, communities and people in the space start putting some respect back on ICMags name!

:thank you:
:good: :tiphat:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
On every forum, or just one forum, have an "old stuff file" and anything older than 5 years old put there. That way members can access stuff that others don't care about. Or, the Forums in question let's have a vote to kill or save from the members. 😎

StevenHXF

Administrator
On every forum, or just one forum, have an "old stuff file" and anything older than 5 years old put there. That way members can access stuff that others don't care about. Or, the Forums in question let's have a vote to kill or save from the members. 😎
That’s one suggestion, saying that if we were to move things around properly the important stuff should never have to be moved. For example diaries and questions are timeless so should be separated from more generic stuff that has an expiry date (competitions etc…). I’d really like us to take advantage of the new Question thread type in Xen so that people can ask questions and answers upvoted so that an answer can be automatically marked as an accepted solution based on the community votes.

I’m leaning more towards not totally removing certain forums but taking them off listings (latest post block etc…) and making them more difficult to access generally but again this is one for the members.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Look forward to hearing your suggestions.
First thing, I'm sure most of us here are not tech savvy when it comes to programing. So if you could kind of expand on, what a "node" is. I think it has to do with how the system lists or places the order/location of the forum.

I'd like to start with IC Mag lost it's homepage, I think after last years site upgrade. It didn't come straight into the forums, the icmag.com address. The forums where like icmag.com/forums or something like that. I think the old front page gave the site some extra character, more so to first time visitors.

After taking a looking at/around the site after you mention about all the forums and sub forums. Yes it does have A LOT of forums and lots of sub forums and some of the sub forums have sub forums. I recall over the years seeing some things moved around and into new spaces/locations/nodes. Some times things became hard to find/locate. There for a while you had to know what to click on your browser to even get into the chat room.

Perhaps limit (or have a limit on) sub forums from having sub forums (or sub, sub forums). There could be a special exemption that could wave the limit for some special...

I think the General gardening forum could be added to/merged with the grow diaries. Or at maybe moved to the grow diaries parent location. We should try to be more inclusive with non cannabis growing, after all it is just gardening or farming however you look at it no matter what is being grown.

I'm still thinking more on this

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would certainly agree that the word Marijuana should not be used, this has been bought up many many times and still it hasn't changed. maybe now is the time! - or is there some reason why it is being kept ?
"Harborside, which is among the oldest and largest dispensaries in California, says on its website: “‘Marijuana’ has come to be associated with the idea that cannabis is a dangerous and addictive intoxicant, not a holistic, herbal medicine ... This stigma has played a big part in stymying cannabis legalization efforts throughout the US.”"

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...... or maybe we should go in the other direction and start calling the Smoke Reports forum 'Reefer Madness' !

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I would certainly agree that the word Marijuana should not be used, this has been bought up many many times and still it hasn't changed. maybe now is the time! - or is there some reason why it is being kept ?
"Harborside, which is among the oldest and largest dispensaries in California, says on its website: “‘Marijuana’ has come to be associated with the idea that cannabis is a dangerous and addictive intoxicant, not a holistic, herbal medicine ... This stigma has played a big part in stymying cannabis legalization efforts throughout the US.”"

I personally have been using the word Cannabis for years.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is on the To Do list VD, but Steven is moving very slowly with changes and with good reason. The rule of unintended consequences is the key.
Great! (don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater !)
I meant that it had been raised multiple times over the years rather than in this thread.
VG :tiphat:

Three Berries

Maybe you can default limit the search period from looking too far back and getting obsolete info, yet still have a way to force a search for the same?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We use to have a VIP area that is locked to none site supporters. Might be a good place to put whatever that should not be open to all. This area def needs a major overhaul. Same with the Library. I'm sure there are a bunch of outdated forums that can be repurposed or eliminated.

Last edited:

Ca++

Why do we have both Cannabis Growing and Cannabis Growing Questions?
In questions, we have newbies and infirmary. While in growing, we have a long list of things.
We could slip newbies under general growing. Then give Infirmary it's own section. Some review sites say we have the best infirmary and active problem solvers. It took me a while to even find the infirmary. Sat with newbies, away from Cannabis Growing, in Cannabis Growing Questions

Last edited:

StevenHXF

Administrator
We've made some changes to the Growing forums which I hope reflect what you're talking about. We're thinking about ways to trim things down further and make things even easier to navigate in terms of the list of forums themselves.

I've also added a Quick Links menu to the top nav, open to suggestions to things anybody feels should be in there to help aid with moving around the site.