What's new

No Better than a Placebo for pain?

BuckeyeGreen

In the last week the press has latched onto a story about a study of cannabis for pain studies. From the CNN article:

The placebo response amounted to 67% of the pain relief associated with genuine cannabinoids” CNN Pain relief from marijuana comes from a belief it helps, study finds

The study of the studies they referenced: Placebo Response and Media Attention in Randomized Clinical Trials Assessing Cannabis-Based Therapies for Pain - A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

The study’s conclusion:

Placebo contributes significantly to pain reduction seen in cannabinoid clinical trials. The positive media attention and wide dissemination may uphold high expectations and shape placebo responses in future trials, which has the potential to affect the outcome of clinical trials, regulatory decisions, clinical practice, and ultimately patient access to cannabinoids for pain relief.”​

And the statement from the International Association for the Study of Pain:

Due to the lack of high-quality clinical evidence, IASP does not currently endorse general use of cannabis and cannabinoids for pain relief.”​

With the caveat:

While IASP cannot endorse general use of cannabis or cannabinoids for pain at this time, this is not intended to dismiss the lived experiences of people with pain who have found benefit from their use.”​

------------------------------------------------------------

So, they are basically saying that the relief we feel from pain when using cannabis might be fairy dust and we only believe it works because the media overwhelmingly tells us it does. And future pain studies attempting to prove or disprove the benefits of cannabis will all be fucked because we all believe it works already.

Somebody has an agenda.
Purdue Pharma-OxyContin fame- funded this organization. When you see some research that makes certain claims, always ask, who funded this research and who benefits from the conclusions.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I was diagnosed with a degenerative back condition over 20 years ago. It pretty soon became apparent that doctors were just prescribing ever worse opiate medications to treat the pain. I am so glad I opted to treat myself with cannabis instead. It is not perfect but it does take the edge off, or perhaps just takes the mind away from thinking about the pain.

FranJan

In the last week the press has latched onto a story about a study of cannabis for pain studies. From the CNN article:

The placebo response amounted to 67% of the pain relief associated with genuine cannabinoids” CNN Pain relief from marijuana comes from a belief it helps, study finds

The study of the studies they referenced: Placebo Response and Media Attention in Randomized Clinical Trials Assessing Cannabis-Based Therapies for Pain - A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis..................................Somebody has an agenda.
"Question What is the size of the placebo response in cannabinoid trials for clinical pain, and is the magnitude of placebo response associated with media attention on the trials?"

That question to me is beyond useless, (scientist, doctor's, et al actually consider something like this already when they do studies like this), and I feel that this study is just some drummed up CNN info-tainment, click-bait bullshit.

But here's the fucked up part. You NEVER fuck with a patient's beliefs when it comes placebos. Case in point, I work in healthcare, licensed and registered, that whole bullshit. I was working for an orthopedic surgeon and was in his office while he had a patient in there who was preaching to the doctor about the power of something, (I'm not gonna mention what it is). He was telling the doctor how great it was and how the doctor should sell it in the office. The doctor, a bit of a prick really, just smiled, agreed and told him he would look into it. So the patient walks out after a bit, we count to 10, and then just start laughing because to us it was snakeoil but any decent doctor would never tear down some patient's beliefs about something they use in managing their health as long as it's benign and helping them. So I mentioned I had a friend who thought the same thing and the doctor just admonished me for a bit that I should never, ever, talk too much about it or tell my friend what was giving him relief was really just in his head.

So a big "Fuck You" to those posers at CNN who've always had an agenda but never a clue about their actions.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
or perhaps just takes the mind away from thinking about the pain

After my last back operation, I ignored the bottle of Oxy that had been prescribed and I overindulged in hash for the 5 days of real discomfort. As I lay there, I had a lot of time to analyse what effect the cannabis was having on my pain. And yes, to me, its main benefit was diverting my attention and helping me to relax. So rather than having to endure the cold sweats, constipation and general blah of an opioid, I was able to lay there in a comfortable haze.

BrassNwood

Veteran
10 years ago I wakeup at 03:00 in screaming agony as something is horribly wrong in my belly and the diagnosis is Diverticulitis. My Colon has ruptured and is dissolving my insides.

3 major rounds of surgery later left me with a nice case of Internal Adhesions. Stuff is stuck where it shouldn't be. It starts as being stabbed in the old stoma site with a long bayonet length dagger that when it finally stops penetrating the 8 inches it rotates clockwise 2 full rotations then becomes a hand in my guts squeezing, twisting and trying to rip a big handful out through my navel. It it wasn't so damn screaming level pain the actual sensation is quite amazing if I could divorce the pain from the rest of the feeling as it happens

Cannabis will both stop that whole event at any point by smoking within 10 seconds or edibles in sufficient strength prevent it from ever starting. I call it pain control as that IS what it does for me. Only high dose Opiates will stop me from screaming once it is tripped.

BNW

Digit

Replying on passing glance at original post:

Varies a lot by chemovar. And by more other confounding factors than I could list.

With some varieties (e.g. some high pinene sativas) and conditions (e.g. when cold and stressed and ate poorly), the pain can even be hieghtened and made move vivid. Often times, it's like it doesnt really so much reduce the pain, as make it more manageable, like, I could know it's a level 5 pain, but I'd be handling it like a level 3 pain.

Craven_au

The study of the studies they referenced: Placebo Response and Media Attention in Randomized Clinical Trials Assessing Cannabis-Based Therapies for Pain - A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

The study’s conclusion:

Placebo contributes significantly to pain reduction seen in cannabinoid clinical trials. The positive media attention and wide dissemination may uphold high expectations and shape placebo responses in future trials, which has the potential to affect the outcome of clinical trials, regulatory decisions, clinical practice, and ultimately patient access to cannabinoids for pain relief.”​

And the statement from the International Association for the Study of Pain:

Due to the lack of high-quality clinical evidence, IASP does not currently endorse general use of cannabis and cannabinoids for pain relief.”​

With the caveat:

While IASP cannot endorse general use of cannabis or cannabinoids for pain at this time, this is not intended to dismiss the lived experiences of people with pain who have found benefit from their use.”​

------------------------------------------------------------

So, they are basically saying that the relief we feel from pain when using cannabis might be fairy dust and we only believe it works because the media overwhelmingly tells us it does. And future pain studies attempting to prove or disprove the benefits of cannabis will all be fucked because we all believe it works already.

Somebody has an agenda.
Even if it is a placebo effect of 67% for consumers that's far less than many pharmaceutical drugs on the market. Take antidepressants for example new studies have found that only 15% of people that take them are receiving any benefit. That would be over 20million people in the U.S alone wasting their money on antidepressants that are nothing but placebos. has anyone ever felt any pain relief from paracetamol lol people only take the shit because their mother's gave it to them the good old placebo effect effect making billions for pharmaceuticals.

Isn't hard to why pharmaceutical companies are still trying to destroy the credibility of cannabis helping people it's cutting into their profit margins. Simple as that.

Blue Rhino

When I was much younger, I had a couple of g/fs who didn't smoke, except at that time of the month. They both swore up and down that it helped with menstrual cramps. I don't think it was a placebo effect in that case.
As for me, with my neuropathy I need heavy duty pink strains to have any effect. Any other strains I've smoked over the years won't even touch the pain. In fact I reached a point where I didn't think cannabis was the answer. Then I met the three sisters; Wheelchair Pink, Kamikaze Pink and K.O. Pink. I'm pretty sure they ain't simply providing a placebo effect.

But ya know what? I don't care if it is. I don't care if it's actively killing the pain or acting as a pain distractor or even simply working as a placebo. If it works, it works and that's ALL that matters. Beats fast-tracking myself to liver and kidney damage via pharmaceuticals.

Latest posts

Latest posts