What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No Benefit, Potential Harm, in Adding Cannabis to Opioids for Pain

Gry

MILWAUKEE — Adding cannabis to the mix offers no additional benefit to patients who are already taking prescription opioids for chronic pain — and may even increase negative outcomes, such as depression, new research suggests.

A survey of 450 opioid users with chronic pain showed no difference in pain intensity between the group who also reported using cannabis and the opioid use-only group.

In addition, the opioids plus cannabis group showed significantly higher scores on measures of depression and anxiety and had greater use of other substances, such as tobacco, alcohol, and cocaine.

"When people taking opioids for chronic pain become tolerant to the drugs and develop opioid-induced hyperplasia, they often will turn to cannabis for what they think is added pain treatment, but we found there were no reductions in pain," lead author Andrew H. Rogers, PhD, from the University of Houston's Department of Psychology in Texas, told Medscape Medical News.

The findings were presented here at the American Pain Society (APS) Annual Meeting 2019.

Unexpected Results

The study included 450 adults who reported prescription opioid use and took part in a questionnaire on mental health and substance use, conducted by the online survey platform Qualtrics.

Respondents (74% women; mean age, 38 years) reported chronic pain that included moderate to severe pain in the past 4 weeks.

Compared with those reporting opioid use only, those who reported opioid and cannabis co-use had significantly higher scores in depression on the Patient Health Questionnaire-Depression (PHQ-4, P = .001) and higher anxiety as assessed on the PHQ-4 Anxiety scale (P < .001).

Those reporting opioid and cannabis use also showed higher use of tobacco, alcohol, cocaine, and sedatives (all, P < .001).

There were no significant differences in measures of pain intensity (P = .20) or disability (P = .13) between the combination and opioid use-only groups on the Graded Chronic Pain Scale.

"We were hoping people using both opioids and cannabis would report lower pain, but we found there actually were no differences," Rogers said.

"Furthermore, we also found people using both opioid and cannabis use had higher anxiety, depression, and substance use problems, which are clinically important problems that we as psychologists are interested in," he added.

Different Brain Mechanism?

Rogers speculated that the assumption among many opioid users is that cannabis may affect the brain in a different way and provide some added benefits to opioids.

"I think there is a bidirectional effect, where the use of cannabis may be an avoidance strategy for anxiety and pain; but the repeated use of opioids and cannabis may only wind up worsening those symptoms," he said.

In addition, "these individuals may be more difficult to treat for their pain and associated problems," Rogers said.

The current findings are consistent with results from the larger Pain and Opioids in Treatment (POINT) study, which were published last July in The Lancet.
POINT was a 4-year prospective study of 1514 participants treated with prescription opioids for non–cancer-related chronic pain. Results showed that among the 24% of patients who used cannabis for pain, the cannabis use was associated with greater pain severity and pain interference scores, lower pain self-efficacy scores, and greater generalized anxiety disorder scores.

"We found no evidence of a temporal relationship between cannabis use and pain severity or pain interference, and no evidence that cannabis use reduced prescribed opioid use or increased rates of opioid discontinuation," the POINT investigators, led by Gabrielle Campbell, PhD, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, reported at the time.

Lack of Dosing Details

Commenting on the findings for Medscape Medical News, Mark Wallace, MD, professor of clinical anesthesiology and chief of the Division of Pain Medicine, University of California, San Diego, said that The Lancet study and the new study share a limitation that is common in the poorly-funded field of cannabis research: details on the doses of cannabis ingredients such as cannabidiol (CBD) and the psychoactive ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Although not involved with the current study, Wallace specializes in cannabis research at the UC San Diego Center for Medical Cannabis Research.

"The problem with these and other studies is we don't know what kinds of doses they are getting," he said.

"There's basically not much difference between what's sold on the street or sold at dispensaries. Patients who go out unsupervised often wind up with cannabis that had a very high dose of THC and they will say 'I tried it and I hated it and it only made my pain worse,' " he added.

In the right balance, Wallace noted that cannabis can effectively treat pain and even often replace opioids; but he agrees that the two shouldn't be mixed.

"I don't advocate coadministration," he said. "Most patients who come to me are chronic pain patients who are on opioids and want to get off. So as a general rule, I will taper them down from the opioids before introducing cannabis."

Even then, treatments with cannabis are very tightly controlled and have specific recommendations regarding the ratios of CBT and THC and the frequency of administration, Wallace said.

Despite the recent onslaught of CBD-containing products in the marketplace, the only cannabis-based component to receive approval from the US Food and Drug Administration to date, as reported by Medscape Medical News, is the oral CBD solution Epidiolex (GW Pharmaceuticals).

This formulation uses high concentrations of CBD for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy (Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome) in patients 2 years of age and older.

While the continued status of cannabis as a Schedule 1 substance under the Controlled Substances Act blocks federal funding for research, Wallace noted that California's Proposition 64 is opening doors in that state and that taxes from recreational cannabis sales are being allocated to research and education.

"The Center for Medical Cannabis Research here at UC San Diego just got its first installment from this, so hopefully this will allow for better progress in understanding all of these issues," he said.

Nancy A. Melville

April 15, 2019

Last edited:

Gry

Effect of cannabis use in people with chronic non-cancer pain prescribed opioids: findings from a 4-year prospective cohort study​

The link is above with the tag Define Me

Summary​

Background​

Interest in the use of cannabis and cannabinoids to treat chronic non-cancer pain is increasing, because of their potential to reduce opioid dose requirements. We aimed to investigate cannabis use in people living with chronic non-cancer pain who had been prescribed opioids, including their reasons for use and perceived effectiveness of cannabis; associations between amount of cannabis use and pain, mental health, and opioid use; the effect of cannabis use on pain severity and interference over time; and potential opioid-sparing effects of cannabis.

Methods​

The Pain and Opioids IN Treatment study is a prospective, national, observational cohort of people with chronic non-cancer pain prescribed opioids. Participants were recruited through community pharmacies across Australia, completed baseline interviews, and were followed up with phone interviews or self-complete questionnaires yearly for 4 years. Recruitment took place from August 13, 2012, to April 8, 2014. Participants were asked about lifetime and past year chronic pain conditions, duration of chronic non-cancer pain, pain self-efficacy, whether pain was neuropathic, lifetime and past 12-month cannabis use, number of days cannabis was used in the past month, and current depression and generalised anxiety disorder. We also estimated daily oral morphine equivalent doses of opioids. We used logistic regression to investigate cross-sectional associations with frequency of cannabis use, and lagged mixed-effects models to examine temporal associations between cannabis use and outcomes.

Findings​

1514 participants completed the baseline interview and were included in the study from Aug 20, 2012, to April 14, 2014. Cannabis use was common, and by 4-year follow-up, 295 (24%) participants had used cannabis for pain. Interest in using cannabis for pain increased from 364 (33%) participants (at baseline) to 723 (60%) participants (at 4 years). At 4-year follow-up, compared with people with no cannabis use, we found that participants who used cannabis had a greater pain severity score (risk ratio 1·14, 95% CI 1·01–1·29, for less frequent cannabis use; and 1·17, 1·03–1·32, for daily or near-daily cannabis use), greater pain interference score (1·21, 1·09–1·35; and 1·14, 1·03–1·26), lower pain self-efficacy scores (0·97, 0·96–1·00; and 0·98, 0·96–1·00), and greater generalised anxiety disorder severity scores (1·07, 1·03–1·12; and 1·10, 1·06–1·15). We found no evidence of a temporal relationship between cannabis use and pain severity or pain interference, and no evidence that cannabis use reduced prescribed opioid use or increased rates of opioid discontinuation.

Interpretation​

Cannabis use was common in people with chronic non-cancer pain who had been prescribed opioids, but we found no evidence that cannabis use improved patient outcomes. People who used cannabis had greater pain and lower self-efficacy in managing pain, and there was no evidence that cannabis use reduced pain severity or interference or exerted an opioid-sparing effect. As cannabis use for medicinal purposes increases globally, it is important that large well designed clinical trials, which include people with complex comorbidities, are conducted to determine the efficacy of cannabis for chronic non-cancer pain.

Funding​

National Health and Medical Research Council and the Australian Government.

St. Phatty

Anybody who has had a friend or family member who lives with constant pain knows about the Usefulness of Opiates.

BUT - it is often healthier to minimize & reduce the dose of Opiates.

One of the best tools to do this is - Cannabis. i.e. for the pain patient to take small doses of Opiates and Cannabis, instead of one larger does of Opiates.

I had one friend who took prescription Vicodin for pain related to 4 Hernias in his belly.

Starting in 2014, the US government took away his Vicodin, and he was given Neurontin (Gabapentin), to which he adds MASSIVE quantities of Cannabis.

He smokes an 1/8 to 1/4 of Cannabis a day - in addition to the Neurontin.
And he is completely dysfunctional.

The result of his shift away from Opiates is - I lost my pet-sitter.

He had one cat, which had kittens, and one of them got an infection. He tried to treat it using soap, though it was an internal infection.

It died.
Then the other cats died.
Like I said, completely dysfunctional.

So I lost my pet-sitter, and it's related to a pain patient being made mentally useless by the withholding of opiates.

It's always wierd when some Cannabis users feel superior because they don't use opiates.

One would think - Functionality would be the test.

The ability to perform simple and complicated tasks.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was on methadone for a few years for pain management. 6 months ago i decided to get off it. To say I had a rough go of it is an understatement. Weed helped with the withdrawal. Then I developed restless leg syndrome (well past the WD phase). The methadone masked my RLS so I didn't notice it. RLS is caused from low levels of dopamine in the brain. I recently discovered kratom which has been a godsend. My new doctor will not prescribe narcotics at all, so that means no
benzodiazepines/Gabapentin/Vicodin. Some of the only things that actually help for RLS!
So between Weed & Kratom life is more manageable.

Blue Rhino

I use both, but very infrequently. My doctor only prescribes me 15 oxys at a time. Which is fine because they last me for months. last script lasted almost a year.
I only take them for the really bad days when even my hair hurts. I honestly don't find any extra medicinal benefit from weed when I'm having an oxy day.
But it does have some positive effect. For one, the weed actually "softens" that horrible pharmaceutical high you get from opioids and yet the two combined get me just wrecked. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

The rest of the time I just use cannabis. While it's not as effective as opioids for some pains, in most cases it'll at least take the edge off the pain so I can function somewhat normally.
My screen name is actually a cannabis strain, one that I can't live without. It is absolutely amazing for my back pain.

Vandenberg

new research suggests...​

MEDICAL CANNABIS STUDIES LINK UPDATES 2022​

has been added to the Granny Stormcrowlink list thread and this subject may be addressed, I'd look. :)
Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's really surprising. My doctors have prescribed many different types of opiates over the years. At one point the dosages were very high, too high IMO. I didn't want to continue using such high doses so I increased my cannabis use so I could decrease opiates. It's been working for a long time. The prob is Drs would still rather prescribe only opiates than let us use cannabis as well.

I've had numerous discussions with many doctors regarding cannabis use. They are very stubborn when cannabis is used to offset the need for high doses of opiates. They still to this day think Cannabis is as strong or stronger than opiates. They have a strict policy to use 1 or the other. They would not allow both to be used. I've tried with little success getting them to understand they do not work the same way. Cannabis doesn't control pain as well as opiates. Cannabis is a mild pain reliever at best, its mode of action changes our perception of pain levels. It's better used as an anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea medication than pain medication. Drs in the USA are still in the dark about its uses.. Not much has changed their opinions on how cannabis works.

A lot of the issues we see today are related to the over perscribing that went on for a long time. Now Drs are too paranoid about getting sued than they are about proper health care.

Gry

I think it is tragic that we live in a society that still to this day treats cannabis so dishonestly and unethically.
It is unacceptable that we still have large swaths of our population which do not do have access to cannabis when they have serious illnesses such as cancer.
No one should have to move for access to cannabis when they get a serious illness.
We need a national compassionate use act.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
BUT - it is often healthier to minimize & reduce the dose of Opiates.
when my brother was battling (and losing to) pancreatic and cancer of the central nervous system, they had him prescribed 5 oxy a day. he took one at breakfast so he felt good enough to eat, and that was it for the day. smoked good pot or ate cookies for relief rest of day. yeah, he was still in pain but could get through the day on his feet, deer hunting, fishing, road tripping, LIVING! he said if he had taken the pills like his doctor expected him too, he would never have gotten out of the bed...

BusyB

I know personally of hundreds of cases where using cannabis helped reduce the need for high dose painkillers, and gave people a life back, when they were zombie’s before, quite a number of those people were non cannabis users before too.

Last edited:

CannaZen

may i input my belief and experience? so.. i lied to the doctor about having physical pain for a condition i have. i just wanted to be a medical user to do it legally. cannabis.

it wasnt positive. around the time i started smoking tar nicotine. i suffered serious spinal injury some nodes are like crushed, it is emotional trauma and not pain. i took opiate pills somebody offered me in school and my mother grew poppys (for me, i think?) prior to the experience. i had to go through serious withdrawals and could not get money to pay for opiates and i felt so sick to do it again and almost ODing i dont remember what that was like but like falling over unable to walk haven taken large dose which made me feel like i was sick.

i think its a delicacy, to eat real flower juice. because of my condition i dont get those release of endorphins mang.. i just get by. but to become addicted to opiates seems wrong, what if i have children and i am getting an artificial feel good that that isnt connected to reality? y'know? my point is i believe if a person was on opiates long enough, they probably would report feeling pain without opiates.

furthermore, off topic, i am morally on the fence about it because drugs arent connected to what really is supposed to release those bio chemicals, something based on reality.

can somebody tell me about it? like i think its unfair to qualify them as "drug plants" and make them illegal because they naturally synthesize a compound. what does that connect us to in life?

our distorted view on love, what sort of person would give me those feelings and it be true? that is what im asking, holding off on growing it because. its about a flower, we humans flower too.

Last edited:

H e d g e

Opium was historically often prescribed mixed with cannabis oil because it prevents the need to increase the dose of opium over time in order to maintain the same level of efficacy in pain relief, which is what often leads to respiratory failure and death.
It’s called opioid sparing.

The video I posted was of Ethan Russo speaking about the opioid crisis and the effect of cannabis on opioid addiction, sad that it’s no longer available.
Here’s another video, it’s not as good as the other one but he talks a bit about opioid sparing if you skip to 22mins 58seconds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts