What's new

Nirvana's Big Bud

G

When I placed my first order for "kind" seeds, I didn't want to spend a fortune on them initially. I was immediately drawn to the Nirvana line at SeedsDirect because of their prices and selection. I am very suspicious of things that appear "too good to be true", and after reading several Nirvana strain descriptions, I wondered if that was the case w/ their seeds.

My order included Nirvana's Big Bud, and PPP @ $15 a pack then (late 2004)... figured I couldn't lose too badly at that price. They ended up being a real bargain!

I have two Big Bud females in my current grow, and they are COMPLETELY frosted @ 37 days 12/12 under 400w HPS, with the sweet aroma of grape jelly. About 30% of the pistils have turned golden, and I figure to harvest between day 45-50. They are the nicest plants in the grow which includes a frosty Bogglegum, and a couple fine specimens of Sagamatha's offerings (Mystery Mix). I grew a PPP lady in my last grow, and she was also potent and tasty. I currently have both Big Bud and PPP going outdoors, and I will comment further on them after harvest, but they are doing very well so far.

My intial impression of Big Bud before growing it was "quantity over quality", but I have seen no sacrifice in quality. In fact I find it to be one of the most desirable strains I have grown. I will give a more detailed report of the Big Bud after I have smoked it... hopefully on the new IC Strainguide :joint: MG

jbarsk8

I was also under the impression of quantity over quality. I would love to see more about your Big Bud, sounds great :D

G

Hi jbarsk8....thanks for stopping by :wave:
Unfortunately, I do not have a digicam or I would definitely post pics of these ladies... they are photo-contest worthy!

I think Nirvana's Big Bud is different than the what normally comes to mind w/ Big Bud... a huge yielding commercial strain of average potency and good bag appeal. At least that's what comes to my mind. This is Nirvana's description of Big Bud at SD:

"Outdoor Mau obtained seeds from a US grower in Hawaii who has been breeding from the mid ྂ's a version of Mauwi Waui. These seeds were grown out and a very vigorous male was chosen to pollinate some Skunk #1 clones. Pure Sativa mixed with a Hawaiian Skunk. Natural 'up' high, long lasting stone. Flower: 7-8 weeks"

and..... Sensi Seeds description of their version:

"One of the most popular varieties. A plant for professional cash croppers. Even experienced growers continue to be amazed and come back to fill their garden with these heavy ladies. It is advisable to tie up the bottom branches as they have a tendency to break due to their excessive weight."

The yield will be good I think...my 2 indoor ladies are only about 2' tall, and were topped once. I hope to get about 1 oz per plant. The outdoor ones are 6' plus so far.... who knows what they will yield? All are primarily sativa phenos, and pretty fast... growing and maturing.

I would love to hear what others who have grown this (or Sensi's version) have to say about it...please don't hesitate to post pics too, since I am unable to. Thanks in advance! MG

G

^^^ Me too. It's nice to hear that it may be a myth. I've stayed away from all those giant yeilding strains just because to that myth. Keep us updated.

G

Thanks for lookin' in Smokey....an honor!
The look and smell of this strain reminds me of the Kona Bud of the late 60s, early 70s. I hope the taste and buzz resemble that old school Hawaiian as well...that would be a real treat! My 2 flowering ladies have an exotic, sweet candy/perfume smell, long branches topped w/ dense, crystal-laden "drumsticks", and everything within a 1 inch radius of the bud stem is completely coated with trichs. I don't make hash, so I won't be trimming much... just the largest fan leaves that are left (even they have a few trichs). MG

G

My Nirvana Big Buds sure weren't ready @ 45-50 days..

Take a loupe or a scope to check the trichomes and prepare to take down @ 55-65..

G

Hi V1ru5 :wave: ...I appreciate your input!
Most of the trichs are cloudy, but none are amber. Trich color varies so much between strains though, that I don't think you can use it universally to tell when the buds are "done". I have had plants w/ amber trichs that were still producing new pistils. I usually harvest when I feel the plant has "given up". Meaning, it is not producing new pistils or new trichs, and about 75% of the existing pistils have withered or changed color. This may not be the best method, but it has worked for me over the years.

Buzz preference can also determine harvest time too...slightly. If you like more of a soaring, active buzz, harvest earlier. If you like couchlock..wait longer. I realize that genetics dictate the type of buzz primarily...time of harvest is just "fine tuning" IMHO.

All this being said (rambling) :drum: , you could be right about waiting 55-65 days to harvest. Patience and restraint always apply when growing cannabis. Some strains fall into the "when you think it's done...wait another week or two" catagory, and I will just have to see how they go. Also, I believe that these are F1s, and there would be some variation in harvest time from plant to plant. MG

G

Hi Smokey....this is copied from the Nirvana homepage (http://www.nirvana-shop.com/)

"Marijuana seeds straight from the Nirvana breeder/seedbank.
Indica Sativa Feminized hemp seeds.
Nirvana provides quality F1 marijuana seeds at low prices. "

All I know is what I read.

G

Sounds like false advertising to me. What did they do take White Rhino, White Widow, Big Bud, NL, Nl X Haze, Jock Horror, Ak-48 etc. (you get the idea) and lbl them strains themselfs? All them strains created by someone else? I think not!!! It also looks to me that they are making a business decision to become a mainstream seed company and want to part with the past. (The part of which most every one of their strains were crossed with SK #1). Maybe they sell two or three strains of f-1's which will enable them to say the above statement.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh on them as I like their beans very much. And don't want to put off buyers. I just think the public should know.

G

It is disturbing to hear that reputable seedbanks would give totally false information on their website...I like to think I make well informed choices when I buy seeds. F1s or not though, I am pretty happy w/ the seeds I have had from them, and not JUST because they were cheap. As stated before, I am very impressed w/ the Big Bud and PPP, and I still plan to try their White Rhino, Ice, AK-48, and Papaya..... eventually.

G

Well v1ru5.... looks like you may be right. My 2 BB babies are now @ 45 days, and eventhough they've stopped shooting out new pistils , they are still pumpin' out trichs. I figure they'll go at least another week. I had to stake a couple lower branches on one plant because the buds are getting so heavy w/ resin!

G

i have nirvana bigbud in my garden and its been a good one, i have two phenos. i think the one will be done in 50-55 days and the other probably 65...i am also growing the WR and AK48 at the moment from them, and am planning on getting some B-52, Ice and more AK48 soon...i really like the smell of the BigBud though, its very fruity and the buds are going to be really big, its a good commercial strain for me LOL...

phat

G

advertising laws in the US dictate this type of thing gentlemen.

if memory serves be right, they can have a typo and not be penalized.

...even though it's (the f1) referring to the second gen. ak48

which strains are "pure" from nirvana? other than the ak48?

tia!

Cap

ps- Great job with the Big Bud! Hope those sweet tastes improve with time! usually sweet buds do!

Latest posts

Latest posts